Go Bottom Go Bottom

jd2305

View my Photos
arctic cat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-24          116846

I'm planning on buying a jd 2305 with a 200cx loader,the price i was quoted is 12800. seem like a good deal? I am also curious if I might be better off with a 2210 at a reduced price? anyone out there have any opinions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd2305

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-25          116881

AC,

I own at 2210 and looked at the new 2305 several times in the last weeks including yesterday. I don't see much difference other than styling of the hood. Other minor things include different shaped pedals, and a revised Upper Arm support in the back, but beyond that?? Sure, it is supposed to have 1 HP more, but I doubt anyone will notice that - I sure wouldn't.

I've heard smarter people than me talk about the new loader as not being a Quick Attach, but I guess there is another version that is. Which one are you getting? THe 2210 loader was only a quick attach.

Murf, Hardwood and AV8R always have good insight. Hopefully they will respond to your question too.

B. Meyer ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-09-25          116909

I need to buy a tractor to mow 3 to 4 acres with mild hills, and maintain a 500 ft rock driveway in summer and snow removal, plus light landscaping. Should I buy a 2305 with a loader and 62"mmm or buy a larger 30-40hp tractor to run a 72" or 84" finishing mower?? Do the smaller tractors like the 2305 get enough traction to box-blade, etc? ....

jd2305

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-26          116940

I know a 2210 with smaller 4'boxblade will handle your drive for I have done some amazing things with mine. Also, the unit will easily take care of 3-4 acres, but the thing I would ask is "what further do you want out of the machine"? Reason for asking, when you have a strong need to really exercise rear three point attachments, then I would encourage you to look higher, because the 2210 does not have a position control value and running a rotary cutter, 4' will consume tons of time in big areas. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-09-26          116962

artic cat,

From what I have heard, the dealers in NH don't seem to deal very much. You might be able to come to CT or MA and pay sales tax (maybe showing your drivers license would negate that) and still get a better deal. Of course, you would still have to use your local dealer for service. Also, make sure you get the 200CX loader, as the 200X is not quick-tach.

JDFANATIC ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-09-26          116985

For anyone who has a 2210 or 2305, are you happy with how fast you can mow? Do you ever wish you had a zero-radius-turn mower instead? Or a bigger machine with a 72" mower? I have thought about buying an old gear drive tractor for heavy duty work and buying a ZRT mower or just buy the 2305 with loader and 62"mmm. Have 3 to 4 acres to mow with mild slopes. Also have post-holes to dig. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-09-27          117001

Chris,

If your ground is fairly smooth and you don't have a lot of obstacles, then the 2210/2305 is probably almost as quick as a z-trak. If you have a lot of trees etc to navigate, then I would think the advantage goes to the z-trak. The slopes you mention would concern me with the z-trak though -- so I would recommend you demo both before making your decision. I like the cut quality of the 62C (have gator blades on it).

Cheers

JDFANATIC ....

jd2305

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-09-27          117016

Chris,

I'm on my second 2210 and love the little guy, BUT when you have one piece that has multi-function capability, then it means you must give up something; that is, my 2210 does a pretty good job at all task, not great. More specifically, I would like the loader to be faster, and the mow quailty higher (I'm comparing the mow quaility to a ZTR), etc and I'm currently thinking of switching to what you described, perhaps a 4310 (loader only) and just use the ZTR for grass. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-09-27          117029

I was just reading the specs on the 2520 which retails for $15000. The 2305 retails for $10000. Both use the same loader. Wondering if the 2 extra hp and more powerful hydraulics are worth the extra $5000. I see the 2520 comes with MMM that you can drive over after unhooking. Wondering if 2520 with 72mmm would mow that much faster than 2305 with 62". For landscaping, would I gain much with the bigger tractor as far as loader work, and rear blade? ....

jd2305

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-09-28          117052

Chris,

I'm sort of where you are now, but I have a 2210 and have owned a 4110 and still ponder over the "true value for myself", i.e., stepping up slightly as opposed to a considerable jump up the latter. In fact, my good friend has commented to me "you will not be happy unless the next purchase exceeds your expectations, based on your experience with the 2210, because it's a great overall machine".

No question, the bigger machine, i.e., 2320..2520 will give you better control of the 3-point (position control, added height for lifting implements, and backhoe option), and for the loader you will gain speed and lifting ability and I know from the larger frame vs 2305 you will have a more stable platform. However, if the 3-point usage is not a high priority (meaning the 2210 easily covers your needs and mine does a great job with bush hog, 50" tiller, 4' boxblade, rake, etc.) and you can live with lift capacity of the 200CX, then your right, it becomes tought to consider the additional 5K.

If you have been on this site long, then you know there are many VERY HAPPY 2210 guys (not to imply the 4000 series guys are not happy as well), but you consistantly hear "this is a wonderful machine and believe me it has attitude". ....

jd2305

View my Photos
arctic cat

2005-10-01          117215

thanks for all the replys, i decided to go with the jd 2305 with the 200cx loader and r4 tires. the next thing i have to consider is a landscape rake. the frontier rake is around 900 bucks, but i have seen some in nothern tool for around $350, any suggestions?
I should get delivery of my 2305 next wednesday, kinda like christmas in october. PS good pics bmeyer! ....

jd2305

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-10-01          117216

A. Cat, Glad you got the decision behind you. You couldn't have gone wrong either way. I bought the Frontier LR RL1060L for $470 at a Central Wisconsin Deere dealer. I think I got the last one before the steel price went up! My quotes were wildly differnt depending on who had one in stock or who had to order one. Mine works well, but I wish I had bought the guide wheels with it. They would have helped as I did some landscaping. They run $265 now!! Maybe next summer - winter is on its way now.

There are lots of good rakes out there. I believe Woods makes Frontier and I have a Woods tiller - now that's a fun piece of equipment! Land Pride has great equipment too.

Glad you liked the pictures! I hope they were helpful.

B. Meyer ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-10-02          117272

A.cat, I am sure you will love your 2305. What was your final price? I am on the verge of buying a 2305 with r4 tires, loader, and 62"mmm, but am wondering if I also should buy a 1964 allis chalmers d-15 (45hp/$3800) to do the heavy dirt grading on our new house. Might be overkill as the 2305/2210 have shown good reviews for power/traction. Can a 2305 pull a 5'box blade? What blade works best for pushing snow on a long 500'driveway? Can the 62"mmm handle grass 6"-9" tall on a dry day? ....

jd2305

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-10-03          117283

Chris,

I can speak for the 2210, which is essentially identical to the 2305 in terms of capabilities.

a) pull a 5' boxblade, NO. I do have a smaller volumen wise 4' boxblade and that's all the machine really wants on the rear.

b) Pushing snow, I use the 54" front blade and it's awesome, you will not be dissapointed.

c) Cutting 6-9" grass, no problem, the machine is an animal. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-10-03          117312

For those who have a 2210 or 2305 with a loader, how much dirt work can your tractor handle for final grading and landscaping? It seems like the mounting points are too fragile to handle any serious dirt removal. How fast can you mow in a straight line on dry grass? ....

jd2305

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-10-04          117354

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by fragile mounting points, but I can attest that the 2210/210 can lift waaaay more than it is rated for. In fact one poster ran the numbers and found the loader would lift 750 lbs to full height (68"); 800 lbs to 61"; 850 lbs to 51"; 900 lbs to 45"; 950 lbs to 38"; and 1170 lbs to 16". Of course you had better have your ballast in place for this kind of lifting.

As for mowing, the 2210/62C will mow as fast as your topography allows; if your ground is smooth, great, if it isn't, have your fillings checked first.

JDFANATIC

jd2305

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-10-04          117356

The loader on the 2210 is more than capable. I have had no problems what so ever moving heaping full buckets (49”) of dirt or gravel. Although, you may have to take a little less in the bucket if you are moving wet sand. The loader does not work well at breaking out compacted soil, but then again that’s not what the loader on these machines was designed for. See my picture #1. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-10-04          117389

Scootermagee, good to see another nebraska native on the board. I grew up in the sandhills. Seems like the 2210/2305 would have plenty of guts for my landscape projects and could be my main tractor. For pushing snow, do the box blades work well, or should I buy a standard blade that can swivel? One farmer told me for pushing snow on a rock driveway, I should take a 5'or 6' pipe, cut a horizontal slit, and bolt it to the bottom of the blade to keep from digging into the rock driveway. ....

jd2305

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-10-05          117411

Chris, the 2210 suits my needs reasonably well. However, the loader does not work well for snow removal. The slit pipe installation has been discussed here in the past and would help. But the real problem with the loader, is that does not roll the snow to the side like a blade would. I actually use my box blade, going in reverse to clear most of my snow. Unless it gets too deep, then I use the FEL to move it and pile it. A 5’ rear blade that can be angled would work even better than the box blade, except for having to twist around to look behind you all the time.

If I had only one choice for a landscaping implement, it you be the box blade. It allows you to rip up compacted soil, move it around, and level it off. Matter of fact, I just used my box blade to reclaim another 1/4 acre from the alfalfa and gophers about a month ago. Couple things I don’t like about mine is that at the time I purchased my box blade, the sub-CUT sized implements were not readily available, so the attachment points on my box blade are for a true CAT-1 3-point, and not the limited CAT-1. As a result, it does not lift as high. Which also limits how much you can rock it forward and back with the top link. The other thing is with the 2210, I do not have position control the 3-point, which would be helpful with grading tasks.

Best of luck.

jd2305

View my Photos
chrisscholz

2005-10-05          117432

What do you mean by position control? The old allis chalmers I used to drive on the farm had up, and down, and could actually float up as you were blading. I understand the teeth in the box blade would help keep it digging. I asked the John Deere dealer about position control, and he said the 2210/2305 act the same as the bigger tractors, but you can't adjust the speed at which they raise/lower etc. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about. I guess I don't totally understand position control. Do all 3pt hitches float up as the terrain changes? Or do they stay locked in one position, like the loader would? ....

jd2305

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-10-05          117433

On the 2210 the rock-shaft will allow the 3-point to raise, lower to a position and lock at that position, and float. There is a knob that controls the rate (or speed) of drop. The 4000-ten series also has an adjustment with an incremental setting to predetermine the height at which the drop stops. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login