Go Bottom Go Bottom

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-03          110678

I have a chance to buy a set of forks off a small fork truck: what all will I need to use them on my 410 loader in place of the bucket? Would it be practical to attempt to purchase the part I need that attaches to the loader,I'm sure the forks can be altered to fit. I sure would appreciate any and all the advice and knowledge that is on this board, Come on guys help the Old Man out!! The guy wants $75 for the forks.
Bob J

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-04          110688

Depending on how your FEL is setup, it may be a VERY easy thing to do.

If youlook at my picture # 18 you can see a very basic set I made as a prototype using just 'C Channel' instead of forks. They will lift 1,000 pounds and haven't bent. The type of forks you are looking at are likely over-kill, even a small forklift is usually service rated for 3+k. pounds, which is likely more than double that of your FEL. The ultimate break point is often 3 times that again. The extra strength means extra weight, extra weight means reduced useable lift capacity.

Basically all you need is the base like that in my picture, a frame which has pins to match your FEL's setup and a way to mount the forks. Are the forks you are looking at the type that mount on a flange, or go over a tube?

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-04          110690

Used forks go for about $150 here so it sounds like a good deal. Do you have a quick attach loader? Now that you've got all that welding equipment you should be able to fabricate a quick attach frame to hold the forks. Then you can just drop the bucket and grab the forks in a few seconds. Have fun.
Dave ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-04          110691

Jonesie.... If you want to do your own welding I will be happy to send you detailed pics of my Rankin forks to copy.

But....Check on the price of the Deere adapter plates and include that in your costs. Given the cost of green parts you might be close to the commercial product price.

The Rankin product is available on the west coast for around $600-$700 ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-04          110696

Hey that looks great on your Tractor! I bought the Forks for $50. If I use them or not I made and offer and he took it. So now I've got the forks.
I'll take all the pictures and any information I can get. Yep' I've got enough Welders to start a Fab Shop, and they were really hard to hide from the Warden. I'll probably have a Welder Sale one of these days. If I ever learn to keep my mouth shut and quit trying to buy by the Dozen. I'm really getting good with my welding I can weld but a guy told me I would never be a Welder> ( I wonder what he meant?) but at my age I'm having fun. The Young Soldier from In. that was recently killed in Iraq was in my Son's Company, this kinda makes everything else in my life seem of little importance! I need all the things to keep me busy, but as a lot of you know Children never grow up in your mind. I'm 74 years old and still worry about my Family and their Families! enough said I'm Sorry!
Yes would like to have pictures!! ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
redwing

2005-05-04          110701

Look a pictures 3, 4 & 5 in my profile to see how I made the Quick tach part of forks. Got pins at Atwoods (farm and ranch store) Yes the real forks seemed to cut my lift ability somewhat. But will still lift more than i can. Can post more picts if ness. Hope this helps
dcjj ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-05          110708

Would any of you have a set of drawings that I might copy to be able to make up my own setup?
Thanks ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-05-05          110709

Jonesie, I've found that when fabricating this sort of thing that making a cardboard model will get you close enough to cut out the steel pieces. You can tape cardboard pieces together and trim as needed until it fits. Then use the model as a guide to cut the steel. Do you have a chop saw? They're cheap and well worth the money.

My thoughts and prayers to the young man who died in Iraq and his family. Also for your son's safe return.
Dave ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-05          110710

Drawings????

Now I know why that fella said what he did about you being a welder, LOL, all you need is a tape measure, a piece of soapstone, and a area of concrete floor to sketch it all out on.

Seriously, if your machine already has a QT FEL bucket, just measure up the 'hitch' portion of your bucket and reproduce it on the back of the frame that will eventually hold the forks. It appears like that is what Redwing did, his also appears to be a first class job BTW.

The forks in Redwing's pic's are the 'flange' type of mount, I went with the 'tube' type of mount. You will need to go with what your forks are unless you want to make up a set of forks also.

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-05          110726

I went to the Scrap Yard where the guy sold the Fork truck that my forks came from. I had the guys take a torch and cut the bars that the forks hooked on to. Now I've got a bunch of junk that will have to be Fabricated to fit on my loader. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-05          110729

My forks are designed a little differently than the ones I have seen in these pictures.

The angles are wrong and if the lower part of the quick attach plate is not set back the forks will not lay flat on the ground.

Something to consider when making something for this model. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-05          110732

I made a set for my 4300 but the basic idea should work for you. You can check out my pics, they give some details. I found the carriage off the forklift was too narrow and too heavy, like Murf said about the forks, way overkill. I still wanted the real forks since I stress them to the max of the tractor. I bought the weld on mounts bits from JD and they were very reasonable in my mind, much less than trying to fab them. I patterned my carriage off of my skid steer set. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-06          110740

Have you got the parts no for the( mounting attachments) I'll be lucky if my local Dealer will even try to look them up, The Guys at JD Equipment over in London, Ohio will order and send them to me if I can expiain what I need. I'm not very handy when it comes to building anything and I'm still trying to learn from you pictures!It's hard to admit when you are dumb like me, but I have to live with the Cards I've been dealt,and I do try!
Thanks for the help!
Bob J

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-06          110750

Bob, I was only kidding about the drawings, there is an on-going friendly rivalry between engineers and welders, since I am both I can poke fun at either side.

I would be only too happy to lend a hand if you need some help with the design, dimensions, or some pictures.

Feel free to send me a PM since pictures, etc., are too big to post here.

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-06          110760

As a retired Vice-Pres. of Engineering and Operations I can assure you I've heard it all.
When you are the Engineer you know it all, but when you get to be VP,you have all the answers, but don't understand the Questions.
My Middle Son is an Engineer(EE) and also is a Certified Welder, but I never get him involved in a project as we seem to clash to much!
He thinks he knows more than I do, but as any Father will tell you. " Thats wrong"
I appreciate the help you have offered and any pictures or "Drawings" you have to offer!
Bob J

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-06          110789

The part numbers I bought are as follows, but they were for my 4300, I don't know if they are universal, maybe.
Hook, W43359 $10.36 each
strap to reinforce top of hook, W45253 $5.09 each
Pin at bottom, W47211 $4.95 each.
these prices seemed reasonable to me compared to making my own, they were a bargain. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-09          110869

Denwood
I ordered the parts on your list today. The Dealer said they would work on my 410 loader ok. Now if I can beg, borrow ,or buy some (dimensions (sp) I will try to get something welded up.
Right now I've got to figure out what is wrong with my front PTO on my JD 332. It seems to not always seal in and right now it won't seal in at all. It was in and out and I think when it would do this it would kick my pto belt off. Anyone got any ideas on this.
Thanks ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-09          110878

Rankin

I would be grateful to see the pictures! I'm going to do the welding myself. Lets hope I will be able to figure the way to make sure the Fork plate will go on my QT loader ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-09          110883

A few of details to keep in mind with the carriage you are making.
1. The pins from JD are made to be inserted through a hole in the steel and welded from behind so as not to leave a bead to keep the carriage from making good contact with the loader mount. That is why they are so long. If you just weld them on, the hole for the clip will be an inch from the loader mount and allow lots of slop movement of the forks when they are pinned on. You could cut the pins down to allow just the right space and then grind a bevel on the base of the pin and fill it with weld if you don't want to have them go through steel and weld from behind.
2. Take off you bucket and roll the mount all the way back. If you don't make the bottom of the forks stick out farther than the top from the loader mounts, you will not be able to roll the forks back and pick anything up at ground level. I found 2 inches extra at the bottom was enough to satisfy me, and this was the standard for the skid loader forks I modeled.
3. If you are using real forklift forks, the carriage will need 2 tracks for the forks to slide on 16 inches apart. I used 1/2 inch thick steel flatstock and ground the back edges to match the standard carriage shape. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-10          110900

The easiest ways to make sure the plate fits well is to either, one, (carefully) tack it together on the FEL, then weld it solid after knowing it fits, or, two, make a wooden mock-up of the FEL mount and use that as a template or jig to be sure it gets welded in the right size and shape.

In my case I made the two side pieces first, and ensured they fit each side of the FEL mount, then tacked them together on the machine.

In either case, be sure you do NOT weld long lines on one side before moving to another place. The heat of welding much material at once will cause the metal to expand enough it can through the piece out of square. It is better to weld an inch, or two at most, then jump to the opposite end and do the same, sort of like how you jump across and back when tightening lug nuts on a wheel.

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-10          110901

Jonesy.... I'll get you some pics by PM by the weekend. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-10          110913

I've hit all the Scrap Yards around and no luck on the 2x2 1/4" tubing, in fact no Company around my Area uses square tubing any heaver than 1/8" material which I'm sure would be too light.
Every one says I'll have to buy new(High Price Stuff) I'll still look around!
I may have to use other size metal. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-11          110935

3" or 4" 'C' channel will work every bit as good, and IMHO makes a better job of it.

Channel is used extensive in structural work, check with fabricators and structural steel shops and a shop of any size certainly will have a "shorts" or "drops" bin. It's contents are destined to become scrap, they are usually more than hapy to sell some to you for something a little more than scrap prices, but certainly less than 'new'.

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-11          110936

I'm still a little confused so I forgot to look for Channel iron. I'll go back to my shopping center (junk yard) and see what the guys can find me. They really like to see me as I always take them cold Pop. They really get hot using those cutting torches all day and look forward to watching the old tightwad going through the scrap Piles

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-11          110937

It's easier for us younger fellas but the other popular place for locating "fabricating materials" is the steel disposal dumpsters behind fabricating shops.

Some of these places heave some pretty first class "inventory" into those bins. LOL.

Best of luck.

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
denwood

2005-05-11          110946

I have never seen any heavy square tubing in the scrap yard. Mine came from a previous project that never got completed and I did buy it new but before the prices were high. I just lucked out having it on hand. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-11          110949

None of the Fab Shops will sell any of their tubing for less than new price 9.97 lineal foot. and won't sell less than 6 ft lengths and the "poor boy" shid gets you nothing. Ha Ha ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-05-16          111142

Thanks Everybody fo all the help!!
I took all my material down to the Fab shop that my friend owns and he told the guys to help the Old Man get fixed up! Well, to make a long Story short, while I was gone over the weekend and I went down today to start my welding. The guys started laughing when I couldn't find all my material(they had already welded up a great looking set of Forks for me and had put all my metal in a scrap box. I only wish I knew how to post pictures as it really looks great I even got the trailer hitch installed in the fork bracket)
They said that if I had of welded it in their shop and someone saw it it might have ruined their reputation and to save face they made it up for me!!
I'm reallty proud of it, but I owe it to all your pictures and information. Thanks ever so much11
Bob (jonesy) ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-17          111153

Glad we could be of some assistance Bob.

Best of luck. ....

4110 pallet Forks

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-08-23          133646

Got myself like new quick attach adjustable forks for $700 no tax through the want-ad-digest. JD Dealer told me they could get me a set for about $1000. Seller told me he bought these for his JD 2520, used them about 4 times but 2520 couldn't lift that much with the forks. I am a happy camper today. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login