Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-29          109016

Would I be able to lift a 500# welder out of my Pickup with my 4110? I have a 1/2X 3 across the top of my bucket,and a hook in the center? Anyone, I'm going to have to get the darn thing out and need advice!!
Thanks Bob J

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need Advice

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-29          109017

I would think so.

Just take your time and make sure your chains/straps are in good shape.

Its nice to have some extra eyes to be sure you dont ding up the side of the truck.

side it to the gate if you can...

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-29          109020

Should I put Ballast on the rear? If so roughly how much? I might as well ask another question: would my 1/2 ton 1996 Chev.Ex-Cab be able to transport 4 of them for a total 2000lbs a 100 mile? I'm really wondering! ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-03-29          109021

That is kinda heavy to move around that high up. I would lift it just clear of the bed and then move the truck out from under it and then lower the welder to just clear of the ground before trying to move it. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-03-29          109022

Akkk My 2001 half ton is only rated to carry 700lbs in the bed. I might put two of them in there but not 4. I also think you would be over the rear axel weight limit. It should be posted on the door jam or in the glove box. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
bigpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-29          109044

Can you rent or borrow a trailer? Moving the payload off a lower trailer will be much safer and more practical. Either way, I think my insticts would be to slide them into the loader bucket as far as possible and use chains and the center hook to secure the top end of the load. And yes, you will need a 400-500 pounds of ballast at a minimum. Good luck ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-29          109051

I would not hesitate for a minute hauling 2000 in a 1/2 ton pickup. A cord of quality seasoned firewood weighs 3500- 4000 and a half cord is no stretch for a 1/2 ton pickup. It never seemed overloaded in the way it handled or braked. I delivered wood for years in college that way, of course I always ran an F150, but they are all basically the same. You may be illegal, but just follow the rule of the road, "don't break more than 1 law at a time" NO drinking or speeding etc. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
tyler1

2005-03-29          109052

When you go to lift it to make sure you don't hit your truck or ruane the welder. Use two strapes and put the under the to sides of the welder. then bring the together at the top then lift and that should do. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-30          109092

Your 4110 with 410 loader has a maximum rated lift capacity of 800 lbs. at pivot pin to max. height. You should be able to lift it if connected at the correct position. So, if you were to try lifting it from the front edge of the bucket, it may not lift it. If the hook position you noted which is closer to the pivot pin doesn't work, there is a large pipe that is a cross-member behind the pivot pin closer to the tractor. If you put a steel shaft (1" diameter or bigger) through there and connect to the welder with straps on both sides that will do it for sure.

You should be able to haul 2,000 lbs. with a 1/2 ton truck if you can get some of them pushed way to the front. You will want your tires filled to max. recommended air pressure. Make sure to block the welders in and tie them down somehow. Drive careful and avoid sharp turns and sudden stops. It would be better if you had a 3/4 ton or trailer.

When taking them off of a truck, the best way was mentioned by just slightly lifting them above the bed and then drive the truck forward. Lower them to just above the ground if you have to move the welder with the tractor. A sudden start or stop will get the welder swaying and take out your grille guard or cut a front tire. Have someone there to help stabilize it when you start/stop. Watch the other guys fingers and toes! ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-30          109098

The 4100 is very, very light on the rear end... see pic #2.

First you need to ballast for the empty loader at about 600 pounds.... THEN you have to ballast another 500 pounds for the proposed load. Any combo of wheel weights and three point ballast will do.

I lost count of how many times I pulled the rear end of my 4100 off the ground before I finally started leaving at least 1000 pounds on the rear of the tractor.

It will lift 500 pounds but it may not push that much to full height. That will not be a problem if you are lifting out of a 33 inch high pick-up bed.

Go to U-Haul and rent a trailer for 30 bucks..... ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-30          109104

Thanks Guys,
I really appreciate this board for all the help I can glean. I have a 16' 2 axle trailer but I don't have brakes on it. All lights are ok. I have to pull 100 miles all 4 lane. I might consider using my trailer after all, but I'm concerned about the Brakes! When I was younger I pulled Cars without brakes on the trailer. maybe it's still alright.
Thanks again!
Bob ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-30          109113

I am a little confused.... are you going to get one welder, or four welders? ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-30          109119

getting 2 and possibly 4. I know I'm old, but honest I'm still sane. Several of my friends wanted one and old dumb me agreeded to go get them! I don't mind helping them out, I am going to use a set of ramps to load them when they come after them. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-30          109120

2000 lbs plus trailer shouldn't be too bad without brakes. Here in Wisconsin you don't need a trailer license or brakes until the load is over 3000 lbs. In general though it would be worth it someday to put brakes on your trailer. A big dual axle trailer really needs brakes to make them worthwhile.
Dave ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-30          109123

I'll bet that 16 foot trailer weighs at least 1600 pounds.

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-30          109140

Does anyone know what the Indiana Law is regarding brakes on a 2 axle owned and operated by a private party? ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-30          109150

Looks like 3000 pounds max before brakes are required. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-31          109159

Is that total weight or trailer weight? ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-31          109179

Trailer plus the load....

You would probably be OK with a 1000 pound load on that trailer. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-31          109181

So, put one or two on the pickup bed toward the front and the rest in the trailer. ....

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-03-31          109191

Latest! I'm going to put 3 on my truck,and when i get home my friend at the local trucking Co. will unload them with forklift. Then I go to my Barn which is about 1 mile, pick up my trailer and he will load them on my trailer and then I can unload with my 4110.
He said I would be ok to haul 1500 lbs in my Truck??

Need Advice

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-04-04          109410

I got 3 of the welders loaded in my Truck. They used a overhesd Crane. No trouble all the way home. Me Neighbor came over and I removed the tailgate pulled the Truck upon some wheel stands used 2- 2x!2 oak boards and rolled the Welders right off into my Barn,The welders had wheels on them. I'm really glad I didn't have to use my Tractor. Thanks everybody! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login