Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-20          106475

Though we are scheduled for 6 inches of snow today, I want to THINK SPRING! I want to buy a tiller for my 2210. Deere makes a nice one but I've heard good things about the Woods tiller as well. Are there other manufacturers I should be looking at? Any tips on using the 3pt tiller on the 2210? What key comparison points should I be watching for? Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to all this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
JDFANATIC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-20          106478

Good post,

I was thinking about the same thing -- the tiller and spring! Kinda hoping both would arrive soon!

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-20          106482

I've allways liked Land Pride equipment. It's given me good service and their dealership network seems to be well oganized for parts and service. Deere and Woods both make fine equipment too, but I'm just not as famillar with them. They've got a website showing their line of equipment. ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2005-02-20          106499

I got my 2210 last spring and bought the Frontier RT1150 tiller with it. I was immediately impressed with both. If the ground has a little moisture in it you can till at max depth on the first pass. The 2210 doesn't even grunt hard. I tried to till up some ground later in the summer when it was too dry. The ground was so hard the tiller wouldn't go more than an inch deep and even the tines of the box blade wouldn't penetrate it. This was sod that had been in place for decades. Then we got a nice rain in Sept. so I waited a day and sure enough it tilled it right up, like powdered black pepper. If you go over a garden that has been worked up before it really does a nice job. My neighbor lady had not tilled her garden for 5 years and I had no trouble doing a nice job on it. The 2210 with this and probably any tiller is pure pleasure to operate. If you have any questions about technique or anything else I'll be glad to help.
Gary ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-02-20          106500

The Woods product (GTC40)seems narrow at only 39" side to side vs. the Frontier (RT1150) at 49". Or should I be looking at the GTC52 which is 51" wide? It says it needs 20-30 HP and the 2210 is only 23 HP.

I'll need to check on Land Pride as well.

Does everyone make their own tillers or is the case of one manufacturer who makes various brands? ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2005-02-21          106533

John Deere tillers up until 2005 were made by Howard. Now they are made by Sicma.
Maletti currently makes Woods & Bush Hog and made pre-2004 New Holland tillers.
Sicma makes tillers for First Choice, Bush Hog, John Deere, Farm Track (Long)
Maschio makes the Frontier tillers.
If you want a comercial grade tiller at prices below many of the lighter duty chain units you need to look at a CCM Gear drive tiller. ....

Link:   CCM Gear Drive Tillers

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors Tiller for 2210

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-02-21          106542

I personally have the Landpride RTA1050 (50") and of "my toys" this is the one the wife insist will not leave the property. That tiller will make "mosit cake consistency" of the ground and my wife and daughters love jumping into that soil and planting during Spring, no need for a spade, just a little hand pressure and seeds are planted. Regardless of purchase, get something that will cover your tracks, so you will need the 47-50" tiller.

I had a Woods once and it was nice and wouldn't hesitate to own another, but the deal was too good to pass up on this one . ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-02-21          106548

Re: Chain drive vs. Gear drive
From the different threads here regarding tillers, it appears there is a preference for the gear drive. Can anyone explain why? Are they simply more rugged?
thanks,
david ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-02-21          106575

Are the tillers being discussed here OK to use on the 2210? It seems like some are getting out of the bounds of the 2210's HP. How big is TOO BIG?? Also, is the offset on these unit easy to use? Do you just slide the running connections over a bit? How does that work? ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-22          106591

JD lists the 647 48" tiller as the right one for the 2210. Anyone using the 647?

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
chevytruck13

2005-02-22          106614

I have the 647 and it works great. It doesn't really load the tractor down at all at full depth. I have medium soil and it will go as fast as I want to. I think it would handle a 60 inch but that would be pushing it and you would probably have to go alot slower. So then are you really covering any more ground. The 48 inch covers the wheel tracks nicely and isn't to much tiller for the tractor. ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-02-27          106902

I need to stir this thread again.

I went Tiller shopping on Saturday. Here are the options:

Land Pride RTR-1542-31 (with slip clutch +$50) - $2300
Woods GTC52 - $1295
Frontier RT1150 - $1575
Deere 647 - $1625

The Woods and Frontier appear to be the front runners in price. While I'd like to go Frontier (my JD sells those), saving $300 with the Woods is attractive.

Any reaction to the pricing I've received? Any thoughts on Woods vs. Frontier? Any help will be appreciated. ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-27          106916

bmeyer,

DJLX has just traded in his X on a 2210 and has the Woods 52" tiller. I believe he gets delivery of the 2210 this Friday, and has some tiller projects lined up. I'm interested to hear his take. So far he really likes the Woods product.

Cheers ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
DJLX585

2005-03-15          108058

I used the woods 52" tiller this weekend on my neighbors new garden plot-not very big about 20'x40'. It took all of 10 minutes cutting full depth and I went over it twice. No problems and it didn't bother the tractor at all. ....

Picture Link

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-03-15          108067

Hello lebondj !! I recognize that picture anywhere!!

How is that pool thingy going?

See ya abouts

Ducati ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-15          108080

DJLX, did you find that the tiller "pushed" you in a way that made it hard to control your ground speed? Were you statisified with the quality of the Woods 52"? Can you use the I-tatch system with it?

bmeyer ....

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
DJLX585

2005-03-16          108090

It's coming along. Being able to maneuver without putting myself/tractor in jeopardy is the problem. I have learned several things- uh well can't always remember what they are. Oh yea! 1. Don't pile dirt so it is in the way! 2. Things always take longer than you think it will. 3. You will always need something bigger but it might not always be better. 4. Tractors are cool.
I took this picture last night after another hour of seat time.

Picture Link

Tiller for 2210

View my Photos
DJLX585

2005-03-16          108091

I did not find that the tiller pushed the tractor. That being said we have had some rain over the past week so the ground was moist or should I say not dry. TN clay soil also has that tendency to clump so it was hard to get a fine texture even though I went over it twice. I wouldn't think it would be a problem with I-match. The lower attachment points are adjustable. ....

Picture Link

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login