Go Bottom Go Bottom

Want a John Deere service manual

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-05          103556

It seems a lot of people may be interested in a CD manual on their John Deere tractor. I will share the company I bought it from. Here is a web page from ebay where he lists many things.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53063&item=3860384415&rd=1
I checked my CD and it does say copyright so I just don't feel comfortable copying it. I just don't have luck breaking the law and for such a small return. He seems to have most manuals for JD equipment so just email him or keep watching. Several are listed now at what seems a reasonable price. Hope this helps.

Link:   JD manuals

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-11          104016

So, just what is your feeling about copyright?

You say you don't have the "luck" to break the law for such small return? Presumably if the return was bigger, you'd risk it?

Yet I gather that the guy selling the CDs is violating copyright, unless it is John Deere Inc.

So you are okay with facilitating the violation of copyright, just unwilling to take the chance yourself because you might get caught?

You don't really have any particular respect for the private property of the company that wrote the manuals, maybe because ther're a "big company"?

Maybe you see yourself being on the side of the "little guy", or "regular people"?

Interesting...

Or maybe you have another explanation I've not considered?

No offense intended. Just curious. It never ceases to amaze me the range of world-views that exist. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-12          104080

In all seriousness, I enjoy posts like yours. It allows the sometimes boring posts to be livened. I agree that it never ceases to amaze me the many and diverse views on any subject. This post could go so many directions, from santa claus to god to criminal justice and more.
My view on copyright, just like patent rights , theft, etc, protecting ones property from being stolen. I believe in it to an extent. I know the law doesn't allow for interpretation by a citizen, but if my good friend wanted a copy of a movie, cd, etc, I would probably give it. As far as making a business out of it, that is out. Just the same for hard goods. If I saw an attachment I liked, I would have no guilt in building my own for personal use simply by looking at one and building my own. I really wouldn't care if there was a patent. I would not sell them.
As for luck breaking the law, I bought a car in April that had been sitting all winter, a 1984 VW rabbit diesel. Driving it home 12 miles with new tags and insurance, the police heard the studded front tires and pulled me over. They did let me go since it was still on a pink slip and its first trip. I got my truck and transfered tags. You have 30 days to get inspection. I got pulled over with invalid sticker and let go again. Just a few weeks ago, a traffic light was broken at 3 AM and stayed red. Finally I carefully pulled through with no traffic coming, got pulled right over. again let go because he knew it was broken. I stopped at a garage sale and saw a $2500 tamper for sale $800. I talked to the guy and wrote the serial number down as well as the company whose sticker was on it. I called the company and they said it was stolen. I gave them the info I had. The police caught the guy and he tried to turn me in for possible buying stolen goods. I do try to walk the straight and narrow, but I am not the FBI or Police. As for this CD, I did check the guys other items and he looked to have a tractor dealership of some kind with several large tractors and attachments for sale, as well as manuals for many items. I completed a legal transaction with the best intentions. How many people that buy something at a consignment auction or on ebay could swear it is not stolen. Not that they want something stolen, they just can't know. If there is a probem let the donut monsters handle it. They seem to have plenty of time to track down non crime.
As for John Deere in THIS particular instance, I have no sympathy IF it happens to be a fraud. Any company that consistantly produces junk with the same failures over and over, should give away repair manuals, and have someone on staff 24/7 at an 800 number. But if a company cared that much, they would just build better products. Many of their dealers are even worse. They treat you like dirt, hence the repair manual. I went in to buy an O-ring. The parts manager(The only one I can stand to deal with) got it for me but could not tell me if it was metric or standard and could not tell me the size. WHAT? Don't get me wrong, I still like my 4300 more than any other tractor in spite of the dealershit and its small glitches.
As far as risk for returns, that is life. All different risks with many different returns, and each person has their threshold. Each day almost everyone who drives breaks one or more law, speeding the most common. Return, getting there a few minutes or seconds faster. Risk- tickets, points, injury, death. Skydiving, return- some thrill, risk everything. Shoplifting, copyright violation, return- having something you wanted without paying money. risk- fines, jail. So people will risk life and limb for little return and worry about a large return with the lesser risk of fines and jail. Because it is the law? Speeding is a law. I guess it is just interpretation and not wanting to do to others what you don't want done to yourself. Some don't care at all, 9 and 12-00 for them. I only have this little spaceand time for use so this is just a little. Don't think me shallow, rude, or sympathetic to crime for just this little bit, I'm not. how about your views? ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-12          104088

Copying any pages from a book is copyright law infringement. If you have teenage kids like I do then there is a good chance they are downloading music off the internet which is copyright infringement. If you copy VHS tapes or certain TV shows this is copyright infringement. How many of us have not done any of the above? With the internet and so many high tech alternatives for moving data it is impossible to enforce all copyright violations. So then it comes down to a matter of degree. If you get caught - then you are guilty. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-12          104089

In this case, there is no reason to believe the disk is a copy.

If it is, the guy must have some very sophisticated gear. The off side of the disk is white and has an imprinted Deere logo. ....

View my Photos
dmp437

2005-01-13          104153

Please.
If you go back through his feedback you'll see where he bought the JD 7 disc master CD set for $200. Now he's making illegal copies and selling them on E-Bay.
He's Scum. (In my book) ....

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-17          104375

I received my Manual from JOHN Deere for the 4100 and 4110,part no. db4181 and it has others besides those 2, cost was $25.00 ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-17          104386

jones, did you get them from the dealer?

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-17          104389

Yes, I got it from my Dealer and he can get all he wants so I suspect your Dealer should also be able to. If not I'll give you the 800 number for my Dealer.
Bob Jones ....

View my Photos
dnelad

2005-01-22          104704

You must be talking about the OPERATOR,S MANUAL.[ I hope]for $25.00. I ordered the SHOP MANUAL per John Deere suggestion. They gave me a phone number; I called and it cost $140.00 plus S&H. This was for a 2004 year compact tractor models 4110 & 4115. Seemed like a lot of money but
what can you do? I think the price is a ripe-off. However
anything with John Deere is PRICEY. This is supposed to be the same manual the dealers use.????

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-22          104710

What was your part number becase mine is a 2003 issue and it has all the info. I better look at it again! ....

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-22          104715

My manual is the tech manual for JD 655 to 955, 670 to 1070, and 4010 to the 4700.
It doesn't say anything about the service manual. Heck I don't know. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-01-23          104756

Any REAL shop manuals are pricey, not just from John Deere. I have bought several over the years:

- JD 4110 $140
- 1996 Mustang $100+
- 2000 Dodge Dakota $180

If you are going to invest thousands in something, plan to keep them for many years, and plan to do most/all of the service yourself they are worth their weight in gold. (well maybe silver..they are pretty heavy! lol)

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-23          104782

I agree with others here, genuine shop manuals are spendy, but typically worth having. I got the Technical manual and Parts manual for my JD790, and the total tab came to $230. One is not much good without the other. The Technical manual covers 670, 770, 790, 870, 970, and 1070 ($150), but the parts manual only covers the 790 ($80). I gulped when I found out the price, but didn't hesitate. After just a couple weeks, they've already been very helpful. Corrected some mis-information I had gotten from a mechanic, and answered several questions I had. ....

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-30          105220

I emailed that guy on Ebay and he said they were copies, and that he had copies of other models ....

View my Photos
jeff45

2005-02-01          105385

My dealer gave me the CD of the 4000 Ten series service and parts manuals when I bought my 4310. He said Deere issues him a new revision every month, the one he gave me was from March 2004. If you buy from a small volume dealer he may be able to throw it in as part of the deal. It has been very helpful to have around. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login