Go Bottom Go Bottom

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
B. Stonkus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-23          10313

who manufactures the craftsman line of tractors? Where are they built? What service life can be expected? Thanx, Brian.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
Don

1999-11-24          10349

The major componants, (engine, powertrain, etc.) are provided by the lowest bidder and can change every year or two. Not sure who actualy manufactures for Sears. In my experience, they seem to die on average after seven or eight years. We usually don't take them on trade at our J.D. dealership because of lack of resale value and high cost of making them saleable again. ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
steveofnj

1999-11-25          10373

I had a Sear LTV 16 that lasted 15 years with almost no problem. However, I blew the transaxle and now I can not get a replacement. I reseached Sear Lawn and Garden machines and find that a Scotts or Saber John Deere are much better machines for the same money or less. Scotts is made by JD and are in most cases cheaper. I owned a 455 JD and just traded up to a 790 Compact JD. Love it! But in terms of the 1,500 tractor, check out Scotts and stay the heck away from Sear junk! Go to your Sears department store and see how many are in for service and how many are returned and on sale on the floor with dirt and grass still in the tires from unsatisfied customers.

You might want to go with Kubota, they make a real nice diesel Garden tractor for around 5,000 or so. Also the GT line of John Deere is really nice, and you would only be looking at 3,500.00 or so for a real garden tractor.

Good luck, and stay away from Craftsman! You will just regret it! ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
Tom

1999-11-26          10385

I have to disagree, I have a Sears garden tractor thats 5 years old.
Can`t complain, I never take care of it beat the hell out of it not one problem.
It didn`t cost me alot so when it dies who cares.If I bought something that cost
me a lot more I would be afraid to use it,but this way ill beat it to death
an not worry.......

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
Jim

1999-11-27          10404

Ever notice that most "store brand" L&G tractors usally have the letters "LT" in their model name? I think it stands for "lawn trash", Definately not "long term" as in reliability ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
JJT

1999-11-28          10426

I've had a Sear's 18HP lawn and garden tractor for 12+ years. No complaints. I use it to push snow and mow 5+ acres. Cannot seem to kill the damned thing.

I recently switched the snow plowing work to a L3710 Kubota w/ a 78" snow blower, but I will never mow the lawn with a 6000 pound tractor...

Say what you like about the lawn trash tractors - I'll keep mine until it dies. ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-29          10456

Used an older Sears riding mower (8-10hp) for quite a few years, at the farm I worked at as a kid. The owner made me mow tight up against the high tensile fence and field roads, which included big rocks and young tree like bushes. I would tell him about it....He didn't care, he wanted it mowed...So I mowed it!! week after week, year after year.... Anyway, I would never buy one, because they remind me more of a paper plate than fine china. I will admit to abusing one for many years without more problems than one could expect from a "name brand" unit. So to that extent.. "ata boy" for Sears. I still stop to look at the new units and can definitely see "cheap" has been engineered in over the years, like so many other things now days. Like my father, I take care of my stuff to the point that it looks new when its 10 years old. Others could put dents in an army tank, operating on its second motor after only 3-4 years...I guess it boils down to what you expect to get out of it. I'm more of the long term guy. Others are better eating off of paper plates. ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
steveofnj

1999-12-01          10543

Hmmm, well I can see that Sears tractors have there ups and downs, but in almost every case out in the east coast, Sears is know for it's garbage quality, and large amount of returns on their newer models. So, it still stands in my view, why dump money into Sears, instead of a nice Green & Yellow Garden Tractor. JD make the Sabre Line Starting around 1,500.00 even Scotts is made by JD and beats Sears.

Just my view. I am still love'n every minute I spend on my JD790! ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
mark smiley

2000-01-17          12036

I have a 1976 Sears garden tractor. It was made by Murray for Sears. It has a 8hp Briggs+Straton with electric start and starts without fail. I use this tractor for mowing and pushing snow and pulling a wagon. It has a 4sp+rev tranny and 1st gear is WAY low. I'd like to get the sleeve hitch for it. The mowing deck finally gave up this last fall. I'll get a different mowing machine but keep the Sears for chores. ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
Ron Brauer

2000-01-18          12064

I have a 1970 JD 140 with mower, tiller, front blade, center blade, and
trailer. It has done custom work plus my own. I have overhauled the engine
a couple of times and that is all. I don't know about the new Deeres, but
if they last like this one, the extra money would be well spent. I doubt if
there are many Sears machines still going that were built in 1970. ....

Crafstman lawn tractors

View my Photos
mark

2000-01-19          12103

ok, so in six years (i'm sure i'll still be enjoying it) my Sears will have passed your test. By the way, I also have a 1973 JD 140 H3, it's under renovation (tires, battery). I'm not touting one over the other. The JD is way more heavy duty, duh. My JD might be as much as twice the weight of the Sears (JD is 800lbs). The Sears was a "I'm going to throw it away" gift, I replaced the battery and a deck spindle assembly. The JD I paid $10.00,yes ten dollars, for it. welded the muffler, filed the points lightly and it was running. now it does need a battery and a seat cover and tires. I'll pull the yard cart with the Sears, but I plan on a loader for the JD ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login