Go Bottom Go Bottom

Using PTO seed spreader for sand salt

View my Photos
DennoAce
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-27          103038

Anybody use a 3PH pto driven spreader for this purpose? My only concern is putting rocks through it, which is why I would screen my sand well and clean the unit thoroughly after every use to help prevent corrosion. I have a 600' driveway and throwing sand with a shovel gets old. A real sand spreader is way to expensive. I was going to build my own but then thought of this option, which i can buy for under $500 for my 4110.

Thanks!

ps The unit I was looking at is in Northern Tool (northern hydraulics) and is $419.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-27          103041

You didn't say you are using salt or not but do you really want to put salt through it? I cringe at the thought of when my buddy decided last winter to have me do some skidloader work for him. My '03 machine was still brand new-looking when I took it on Michigan's salted roads for about 30 minutes. I trailered it through 6" of salty, snow-covered roads. As soon as I got it home and the ice melted off, all the cadmium plating on the steel hydraulic lines and the plated bolt heads turned to rust. I do commercial snow plowing with a new truck. I refuse to do salting as eats the trucks up in no time. It is not just the salt chunks themselves contacting the exposed metal but it's the dried liquified atomized salt molecules blowing around that corrode the metal---and they settle everywhere! Guys with Harleys around here know not to take their bikes out until at elast May when the rians have washed mosty of the road salt away--otherwise their chrome is attacked. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-27          103046

We used one of those commercially with good success as far a spreading for several years. For the short amount of use you will do, the cleanup is quite a pain. We were very thorough with hot water pressure washer and oiled it up with diesel to help with rust. It still rusted badly over time. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-12-29          103134

thanks guys for the replies. I am thinking I need to see one in person so I can decide better if she will handle it. Gonna head to local dealers soon.

View my Photos
bigpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-29          103154

I have spread fertilizer, pelletized lime, sand, and salt (only twice) through my Befco spreader. As with fertilizer, you do need a thorough cleaning and oiling after spreading salt. There's a picture of my Befco Baby Hop on my late 2210 in my profile pics. It works great on my 4110, too. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-12-30          103167

I have been considering a spreader for my drive, but have been concerned about clogging, dumping, and maintaining it.

I have over 15000 square feet to cover but for the last seven years I have used this poor mans' approach.

I mix Calcium Chloride and traction sand in two five gallon buckets. I take a heavy one gallon bottle that has a pick up handle on it and cut it into a scoop.

I partially fill the scoop and chuck it high so it spreads wide. I only cover the essential portion of the drive and it only takes two buckets which is less than one bag of sand. This gives me the minimum amount of traction I need to get by.

My neighbor has a much steeper drive and puts down about 250 pounds of salt with a electric salt spreader he got from Northern tool. His drive is breaking down somewhat, they all do eventually, not sure how much the salt contributed but it is not helping. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-12-30          103171

I'm a fantatic regarding cleaning salt off of cars,trucks & tractors....powerwash as soon as possible after each use...

Ducati ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-12-30          103172

I'm sorry for the off topic question, we still have much more winter ahead of us! I saw Bigpetes pictures, it got me already thinking spring..

Bigpete,

I like your front thatcher setup!! can you provide some details regarding cost, and do they offer it in a 3pt setup?

Thanks
Ducati ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-12-30          103180

well thanks again for the replies, esp. bigpete that spreader is roughly what I was looking at. if you read this, may i ask what you paid and if this is a "seed" spreader or multi-use/fertilizer spreader by nature. It appears to be a seed spreader.

went to JD dealer today and a "real" sand/salt spreader for the back is about $1400. I am still thinking the seed spreader will do fine if I am careful and clean it out every time, and screen what I put in to sift out any big rocks or clumps of frozen material in the pile. (was thinking of putting a piece of expanded metal grating over the hopper when I fill with the bucket).

View my Photos
bigpete

2005-01-06          103652

Man, I'm slow. Sorry guys. Denno, I paid around $400 for that spreader a little over four years ago. It fit my JD 445 garden tractor, then my 2210, and now my 4110. The only thing I wouldn't spread with it is seed, but you could if you are not worried too much about accuracy. I had to have a new, longer PTO shaft fabricated when I went from the 2210 to the 4110.

Duc, that dethatcher set-up is a combination of an older front-mount, 54" dethatcher from my 445 coupled with the attachment frame assembly and hydraulic quick hitch for my snow plow. I have all of $5 in bolts and bushings to seasonally convert the attachment. The original cost of the dethatcher was about $350--I think(?). If a guy could find an old dethatcher and use an existing front plow set up, it might be worth it. Unfortunately, nobody makes an out-front dethatcher for cuts (at least as far as I know). I like it because I mulch-mow my thatch in the fall to help increase decomposition and organic material in my soil. My lawn loves it. Pete ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2005-01-06          103656

Here's the link to the Befco page for Hop spreaders. There are similar spreaders out there that do the same for less money. There are likely quality differences, but if I were just spreading salt I might pick up a Tractor Supply 'special' instead of spending $500 +/- on a quality Befco unit. BTW, the model I have is the smallest 203-120 model ....

Link:   Befco Hop Spreaders

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103665

You could use the pto spreader to spread sand and salt but unless the material was very dry and poured easily; it would clump up and very likely stop up the shute door the material drops through to the spreader pan. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2005-01-06          103668

That's why Befco offers the optional tumbling agitator. I cannot vouch for its performance with damp sand or other materials, but that is their marketing position on the option. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103674

I have seen the agitator and I don't think it would work very well if at all and most likely break under a load of wet sand. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2005-01-06          103720

There isn't much out there in the way of PTO spreaders that are designed to spread wet sand. I don't think anybody here is looking for that level of spreader. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-07          103734

The only type of spreader I know of that will handle damp or frozen sand is the drop type.

We use them on sidewalks since, as the name implies, the sand drops straight down, so the area sanded is that directly below, there is no spinner as on the other style.

The reason it can handle clumping material is that the'agitator' is a series of small spiked rollers that chew into the bottom of the sand in the hopper, the last two almost intermesh, nothing larger than the gap between the two sets of teeth can come out, nothing larger than that stands a chance. Ours also have a hydraulic vibrator on the hopper to break up any bridging or sticking material.

On our big truck the exhaust is actually plumbed through the channel steel that the dump box is made of, this heats the material in the box and makes it flow regardless of how wet or frozen it is when it goes in.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login