Go Bottom Go Bottom

Motor Oil

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-13          102172

What brand of motor oil would be good to use in my 4110? I know jd has different Refineries make their oil and I want to be able to get the same brand each time.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Motor Oil

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-13          102173

I'm using Shell Rotella 15-40. I bought it at walmart in the 5 gallon bucket. Nice stuff... Meets all John Deere requirements. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-13          102176

If you are that concerned to get the same brand, maybe you should look to synthetic oils. They are much better oils. Just keep in mind using any oil that meets spec. and properly maintaining engine, it should outlast the rest of the tractor easily. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-13          102177

One of my good friends works for Deere and at a Tech training camp, he mentioned that Rotella T is the diesel standard which the major manufacture compare products, so I agree with the above RotellaT is a fine product. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
jonesiera

2004-12-13          102179

Hi Mickey,
How is everything at Purdue?
Whats going to happen when Keady leaves?
Bob ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
taheide

2004-12-13          102181

I cant see putting out the extra expense on Synthetics when Rotella T does such a fine job. Besides, I dont of anyone who would go with extended drains on a tractor. It is best to follow the guidelines for oil change intervals on tractors mainly due to the fact that they rest more than they run, which allows moisture to build up in the crankcase, which no matter which oil you use, synthetics or dino, you still have the same results.

Fact of the matter is, I have a 99 F350 Dually Diesel that I run strictly rotella T in, and get blackstone reports for almost every oil change and my intervals run from 5500 to 9500 miles between and the results are always within specs, with little wear, and low soot. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-12-19          102525

I have no doubt Rotella is a superb oil but why it is the only one mentioned here is strange. I have used and seen used in industrial applications Texaco Ursa, Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil....all are fine oils.
Personally I would not use 15w-40 in a small tractor unless I were in a warm climate (never below 30) and/or used the machine daily for hours on end. In a start/stop periodic use application like most of our little tractors are, 15-40 is too thick on startup. This is just my opinion.

:)

Motor Oil

View my Photos
taheide

2004-12-20          102597

Yes you are correct about the weight, did not consider that when I posted mainly because when I think of diesel I think of my Stroke. Now that I think about it, my tractor has Castrol in it, since it meets the recomendations needed, and in my gassers Castrol has always performed remarkably well. The main point I was making is the use of synthetics in a tractor is a waste of money since there are several brands of Dino that perform just as well in the tractor engine and the way they are used. As far as why Rotella T is so well known is mainly the trucking industry, when you go into a truck stop, you will almost always find they sell Rotella exclusively. When I drove a big rig thats all the company used in their trucks and the majority of the drivers I talked to who owned their own rigs used Rotella. I havent done a blackstone report on my tractor yet, but will do one on the next oil change next year. With the castrol 5W30 I used in it, the last cold start on Saturday was easy, so at least I know its working. Temps were in the single digits. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-12-23          102853

SHELL 5-40 ROTELLA SYNTHETIC HANDS DOWN. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-24          102872

As a new CUT owner (2210) I don't know much (anything) about diesel engines. Can someone tell me the difference between a good grade of automotive oil and the oil used for Diesels? Is it temperature driven, or viscosity, or ingredients, or ???

The comment made about not using Rotella T because in my CUT I'm not running it 8 hours a day made some sense. Heck, I've got 25 hours on it since August and still using the break-in oil!! (But I'm waiting for more snow to come in Central Wisconsin!)

Help me understand this basic issue better.

Motor Oil

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-24          102873

Everyone has their own opinions on motor oils, (Synthetic vs. conventional etc.). Yes oil for Diesels is different, almost always a higher viscosity 15-40 for diesels to lots of 5-30's now for auto and other gas engine applications. Diesel oils also have a different additive package to handle the diesel engine needs. Personally I for years have followed the "Book" that comes with the equipment whether it's a large farm tractor, Compact, lawn mower or automobile. I've really never saw any advantage for synthetics, I use the brand recommended in the book and change it and filters at half the recommended interval. I definitely would warm it up good and change the oil, but put breakin back in till the specified hour interval has been reached. Lots of water and contaminates will have collected since August. Again just my opinion and experience, everyone has their own. Good luck. Frank. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-24          102875

Frank,

Thanks for the information. I, too, thought I should change oil - not due to hours, but due to time. I've always changed my car oil at 3000 miles OR 3 months. I'm over the 3 months on the tractor. My dealer said to wait until 50 hours or to put in Break-In oil again. I think I'll do the later as my Christmas Gift to my 2210. By spring I'll be ready for the "real thing" in oil!

Merry Christmas. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-06          103634

I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2210, too. Bumping this up in case anyone else has comments on oil and filters to use. FWIW, I'm in the mid-Atlantic area (WV) so I need to have the correct viscosity for low temps during winter. Any thoughts? ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103670

I have been using John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 Synthetic Blend in my 4410 and Cummins for a few years with very good results. I decided to try the Shell Rotella (Rosmella)T 5W-40 Synthetic this year in the Cummins and am VERY pleasantly surprised at how well and how long it has stayed clean and gets good oil pressure quickly on cold starts. I got the Deere oil for about $1.28 a quart but I purchased a 55 gallon drum. The Shell Rotella T I got at Walmart for about $13 a gallon including tax. Both are very good oils and will meet requirements. If you keep you tractor out in cold or extreme cold weather without a block heater; I would strongly recommend the Deere 0W-40 Plus 50 Synthetic or the Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-06          103695

My 2210 lives in a (currently) unheated pole barn. What you've said about the 5w-40 Rotella makes sense. Might stop over at Farm & Fleet to see if they've got it by the 5 gal bucket... ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-06          103723

Read the labels carefully. Shell make a non-synthetic Rotella too..... ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-01-07          103790

My 2210 has "break-in" oil in it. How is this oil different from the 15-40 weight I'll use later on? Is it lighter in weight? If I want to replace the current break-in oil with a new batch (I'm still under 50 hours) what do I look for? I know I can get more break-in oil at my dealer but do I have other options? ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-07          103793

I would just leave the break in oil until you get to 50 hours. For most applications, break-in oil is 5W-30 but I would leave what Deere sold it to you with in it until 50 hrs. and then replace with your choice of compatible oil. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
Grizzly J

2005-01-08          103819

I also use Shell Rotella 5w-40 in my Cub 7265 but only in the winter months. During the summer when it's very warm I just switch to the Shell Rotella 15w-40. The Rotella 5-40 is synthetic and the 15-40 is not. I haven't figured out why one oil is synthetic and the other is not. I guess that's the way it is so I just live with it. ....

Motor Oil

View my Photos
millers1

2005-01-11          104010

I've not seen any oils at walmart, autozone, NAPA, etc.. that specify "diesel only". Not saying they don't exist.. but I've been reading labels lately quite a lot. I stumbled across this guy's website.. he compiled a LOT of research... http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
On the left side of the page, there's other "oil" related links.. it's a good read.

Motor Oil

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-11          104033

You won't see "diesel only" on an oil bottle, but you will see "gasoline only". ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login