Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
rpelleschi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-06          101678

Guys, I have a JD 4400 with 430 loader. I am going to buy a box scraper when I get home. That will help with weight. My property (32 ac) has some wet areas and I get stuck more than usual. I have industrial tires on the machine now. My question. Can I put a set of Ag tires on the front to help with traction? I was told by the tire guy that I could not use Ag tires with the loader. Is this correct?

Thanks again
Randy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-12-06          101682

As long as the ag tires have a suitable load rating, there would be no reason that I know of that they could not be used with a loader. The important thing with any tire replacement on a 4WD is to stay with the same diameter as the originals. The gear ratio in the drivetrain is set up for a certain combination of front and rear tire sizes and this must be maintained with the replacement tires. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-08          101833

brendon, thanks for the input. I will get with the tire outfit when I get home and try to sort that out. I would like to have the additional traction for sure. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-08          101914

Ag tires are matched based on their carcass size (minus the lugs), not the overall diameter. Matching to a set of R-4s might be a little tricky just because there are only a very few available sizes out there. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-08          101917

AG tires are considerably narrower then R-4's hence the greater load placed on the surface per square inch which will not support the load as well on the terrain!!! ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-09          101928

does this mean that I should not put the ag tires on with the fel? ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-09          101991

The R4's have tons more surface aeria on the lug than an ag tire (R-1) so the load will be primarily supported by the surface of the lug rather than the carcass of the tire with an R-1. For what few times you would really benifit from having the R-1's it just would'nt be worth the time and money involved trying to match the tread surface speeds to keep your 4 wheel drive lead ratio in proper syinc. For example if your front tires sink in with the ag tread to the carcass instead of the R-4's running in the surface of the tread you've destroyed the lead ratio built into the front wheel assist. For the few times you'll ever get caught just use your FEL bucket to push yourself out. Frank. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-09          101992

"does this mean that I should not put the ag tires on with the fel?"

IMO YES unless you have an affinity for ruts!! ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-09          101994

You probably are using the diff lock but a month ago a friend called me over to help him get his 4x4 cut un-stuck. When I got there, I hopped on hit the differential lock and backed right out. He forgot he had it. 3 wheel drive is much better than 2. If the areas you need to work in are muddy and you don't care about tearing things up a bit, you could throw a set of chains on just for the wet area work. Then just take them off for the nice areas. I just got done making a set for the front of my 4300, and rear ones cost about $205 in my area. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-09          102006

The lead lag ratio from the industrials to the ag tires would be tough to perfect. That draws much of the concern from the prior posts and it is very valid concern. I would start out by working with a local dealer or a neighbor that might have the tires that you'd like and switch them to see if they give you wind-up or not. Ag tires front and rear would be of no concern if they the combinations that the manufacturer recommends. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-12          102154

Thanks for all the help. I will definatly look into the chains and for go the tires....... great forum thanks. ....

Ag tires with fel

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-13          102166

If you go with chains, just watch the one side where the steering link connects, there is less clearance there. Once I fitted the chains, I let the inner loop go a link looser to increase clearance by letting the chain ride a little farther out on the tire. I made up for it by tightening the outter loop and using several chain tighteners to prevent any slack on the inside. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login