Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wheel weights for JD 4400

View my Photos
rpelleschi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-24          100892

Can someone suggest the best way to get enough weight on the back of my machine without filling the rear tires? I have a 430 loader and when I load the bucket it can get pretty hairy.......

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-24          100893

Check my pictures, I built a weitht bracket for the 3 pt. of the 4410 using Deere suitcase weights. Seems to ballance the loader about right and still allows the use of the regular drawbar and PTO. Lots of other ways too, others may have better ideas. Frank. ....

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-24          100896

I agree with hardwood, that attachment will work, but (I counted 14 weights on there) it would be expensive unless you already have suitcase weights, i.e., 14 X ~$30 each = $420. Not counting the steel weight of hardwoods gig, the suitcase weights alone are adding approximately 490 (14 x 35 lbs each). I think the idea is great, but if you don't have those weights, you might consider spending money on a rear attachment, ie.., a very heavy box blade. These are widely available at Tractor stores, used at auctions, etc., and they will be nearly the same weight, plus you can do a couple of other chores as well.

Just a thought, but it's how I ballast my 2210 and it works well. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-24          100898

jd2210; You're right in the cost, but yes I allready had twelve weights so I only bought two more. Weight is weight no matter what it is, but I just thought they would look nice and kinda matched the scale of the tractor. Frank. ....

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-24          100899

Like yourself hardwood, I have some of these weights and it takes time to accumulate them at a reasonable price and that's why I suggested he might look at attachments which may represent the same weight, but give some flexibility for additional use. Regardless of decision, the cost will be nearly identical, because steel prices are high, unless you can find something used and unwanted, but generally requires time and patience. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-11-24          100900

The nice thing about hardwoods rig is that it fit's in tighter behind the tractor making moving around in tight areas much easier then a box blade hanging much farther out. But also as it was stated a box blade has many more uses as the weight's don't ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-11-24          100912

1/2 blocks made from concrete are available at most building supply centers. They measure 3 5/8" x 7 5/8" x 15 5/8" and weigh 34 lbs. each. You can purchase them for about $1.00 to $2.00 each. I like what Hardwood has done but don't like the height since it brings up the center of gravity. No offense intended about my comment with regard to Hardwood's design. I'm working on a weight package that hopefully solves these issues particularly about cost. ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-11-24          100928

Gentlemen, this was my first time asking for advice on this site as I am new here, and I have to say that I am very pleased with all the advice I have received. Thank You.

After reading all I think I will look for a heavy box scraper. Hardwood your idea looks great. I wish I had the facilities requiered to fabricate something like that.I used to be a machinest/welder and that would have been a great project. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-24          100931

My 4300 has r-4's filled with calcium, (no I didn't fill them and never would have with fluid, especially calcium), but with the 61" heavy duty bucket, I can't scoop enough to get tippy. A heaping bucket of wet 2A modified is just fine. I have the JD ballast box filled with concrete (It came that way) and have never used it. Personally, since r-4's have no real flex anyway, I would have filled them with foam for weight, Not as heavy as water but you also fill to the top, unlike water. Wheel weights would be my next choice since changing weight box to implement is a pain, and it is nice to have a shorter machine for tight spaces ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-06          101679

denwood, thanks for the advice. Do you know if tractor supply would sell wheel weights for my JD. I am currently out of the country and am trying to get all my ducks in line for when I get home.

Thanks
Randy ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-07          101748

I believe there are 3 different rear wheels for that model depending on which type of tire you have. Dealer may have some available, but I have seen pictures of some of the other posters here that have a system for using weightlifter weights inside the wheels. Maybe someone else could offer advice on their availability. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-07          101756

Look at my pics for a couple of different ballast options.

There is a pic of a cinder block ballast tray/trailer hitch and some photo's of how you can employ used barbell plates. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-07          101765

here is the web site for ez weight system http://www.ezweights.com/frmain.php ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-07          101821

Thanks for all the info gentlemen ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102694

I have a VERY steep gravel driveway/road ~1000' that I need to groom with a box blade. Two wheel drive pickups do NOT visit me unless they walk up the hill! Planning to get a 790/419/ w/ 6' Frontier Box Blade. I have seen several comments on Calcium, but not found a complete discussion of the pros/cons. I have had two dealers recomend Calcium in the tires. Planning R4s instead of AGs for more surface-area/traction on packed gravel. Comments? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-22          102700

tomrscott; I kind of have a personal grudge against calcium after buying rims several times and lately trying to get a farm tire service truck to come out on a farm call on a fluid filled tire. There are a couple old time good sized independent tire dealers in our aeria who no longer offer on farm service. The cost to buy, maintain the truck, and put a qualified repair person on the road has driven them to only work on what you can bring or drive in. Fluid filled tires aren't a manhandle item even on a CUT, I have wheel weights and built a home made weight rack for the rear of the 4410, (check my pictures), or leave the box blade on and add some wheel weights. Just my thoughts. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-22          102708

We have the same problem up around here with loaded tires.

In fact there is a guy with a 5 ton with a crane on it who does nothing but pick up & deliver, for a fee of course, tires. You have to lift the tractor and block it, then roll the tire away from the tractor, he loads and hauls only.

By the time you add the cost of the crane truck it is a pretty expensive thing to get a flat tire.

I would always recommend against fluid-filling tires, IMHO weights are just a better way to go, for many reasons.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-22          102712

Wheel weights and three point ballast gets my vote too....plus you might be pushing the envelope to the max with that 6 foot BB.

A 5 footer might fit the power/weight envelope of a 790 a bit better.

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-22          102719

The Deere FEL manual actually specifies filled tires and wheel weight or a rear box weight. Another option for filling tires is to have them filled with "Rim Guard". More or less windshield washer fluid. It is noncorrosive and fairly cheap. The Deere wheel weights are mighty pricey and EZ Weights may be an option (I did not see these mentioned in this thread but wouldn't be the 1st time I missed something) but I am not sure you will be able to mount as much wheel weight as the OEM's but you can buy the weights at Walmart for MUCH less or at a yard sale. As already mentioned; an implement on the rear hitch is a good option too. Between the 3; you should be able to work out a good compromise. ....

Link:   EZ Weights LLC

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-23          102791

Just got back to the good ole USA, and damn happy to be here.... Just priced rear wheel weights from the dealer. $100.oo each for 60lb. weight. To get enough weight would cost $600.00 or so I figure. I'll buy a box and go from there. The LandPride from the local dealer $750.00, King Cutter From tractor Supply $425.00 (sold out until after 1/1), The local Hardware has a United Brand for $469.00. Gentlmen, which would you choose? ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102794

The heaviest one since you are opting out of weights. I think you will need it. When I priced foam filling my rear tires, I believe the weight of fill was over 300 lbs each and it is lighter than a liquid fill for the same volume. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-23          102796

The heaviest box scraper is most likely the Land Pride unit. The 25 series 72" LP box scraper weighs 547 lbs. The Deere 430 FEL manaul covers ballast weight requirements on pgs. 15-8 thru 15-10. The weight of the LP box scraper does not even come close to the Deere specified ballast weight requirements. I understand that Deere max's out these ballast requirements for liability & safety reasons but even still, the box scraper is no where near enough ballast weight. I have 55 gallons of Rim Guard in each rear tire which comes to around 1,000 lbs and about 150 lbs. on the 3 pt. hitch and that is not enough weight. You are going to need wheel weights or fill the rear tires as well as a rear hitch weight of some kind. ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-23          102800

Wow..... The problem I have with filling my tires is that my property has an old home site on it with some trash and have alrady had several flat tires. I will try to get some added weight on the box, and some wheel weights I guess. I seen someone write about foam. Is that a hard foam that will not leak? ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102801

Yes the foam is hard enough to not leak but supposed to be soft enough to give a decent ride. Problem is with very stiff R-4 tires, they don't flex much as is. Foam is expensive but I will probably do it later. I have never heard of anyone wearing out a rear R-4 with residential use so I don't worry about throwing the foam money away if they wear out. check out arnco for foam. http://www.arnconet.com/ ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-23          102808

What is the cost for filling a set of typical size CUT tires with foam? I have 43 x 16-20 6 ply R-4 tires on my 4410. The dealer told me it took about 55 gallons to fill each rear tire. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102811

Here is some info to chew on. The mix of calcium concentration my local dealer uses weighs 11 lb/gal. Water weighs 7.2lb/gal or thereabouts. Typical mid size cut uses 35-50 gal. according to him. 385-550 lbs per tire. at 80% fill rate. Foam fills the whole tire and you must pick what pressure you want it set at. He says it will act just like an air tire, just heavier(Arnco Superflex). Foam for your tire will be around 400 lbs. His chart didn't list that exact size. You can get recycled foam for $1.20/lb or virgin for $1.50/lb. So expect to pay around $480 -$600 per tire. Pretty salty ir you look at the pair. I am going to have to get a flat and get really P.O. to part with that much. But when you get a flat tire full of calcium, you will probably be ready to spend even more. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-23          102813

For that price, I can keep a spare of each tire built up and ready to go on a rim and still be big money ahead. I can see where the foam could be justifiable in an application where flat tires are a frequent occurance. In the mean time, I will just try to be careful. ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-23          102818

yep, the foam sounds as though it would work great, but the cost will keep me from doing it. I'll do the best I can with the other options that I have...Thanks All ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102821

I thought the price was crazy too. I even looked into buying the equipment to do it myself on all of my equipment and implements. Some Equip costs $5000, other cost $30,000. So I search on. Somebody will come up with a system for small equip that is cost effective and works. Maybe they already have and we just don't know of it yet. If anyone hears of it let me know. ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-23          102823

I still have one more question on this. Does anyone know the weight limit I can put on my 3pt? I have a JD 4400. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-23          102827

2200 lbs. 24 inches behind the link arms according to the operator's manual. I would not recommend anywhere near this much as that is a lot of stress on an aluminum gear case and rockshaft link mounts. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-23          102829

replleschi; I'll have to admit to being a bit brand loyal, but after seeing other brands of box scrapers and other 3pt. equipment I just go get a Landpride, because I've used them, abused them, and just can't kill one. The cheapest is usually far from the lowest cost in the end. Frank. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102830

Ever hear the old saying, "The best costs more to make and I'd rather explain the quality than appoligize for its absence." ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-23          102839

You defiantly get what you pay for when it comes to three point implements. There is a lot of cheap crap out there. ....

View my Photos
rpelleschi

2004-12-24          102876

Gentlemen, point taken. I'll pick up the LandPride on Monday. Thanks for all the advice and Merry Christmas to all of you.
Randy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login