Go Bottom Go Bottom

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-06          92873

I just got finished having a somewhat heated discussion with a buddy of mine who is in the midst of importing a Jinma/Benya/TongFeng or some other chinese tractor for the sole reason of price. Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about him buying a Chinese-mobile from a local dealer and getting some support. I'm talking IMPORT:paying broker fees, assembling it (or rather having ME assemble it) the whole deal. The parts will have to come direct from China or be sent purolator from the closest dealer (20hours away). Why do people only look at price and not TCO?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos

2004-08-06          92876

to finish my thought, he could have bought a same spec Green Blue or Orange for a mere $4g's more (canadian). He even could have even gone with Kioti, Mahindra or CC and saved some coin. But in my humble opinion when it is all said and ten years from now when he goes to sell it he will be more money out than if he looked at other factors. Thoughts? ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-06          92882

Chance is high that will happen. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-06          92883

Do you remember how many Ponys & Excels Hyundai sold, or how many Lada's, Skoda's and Samaras there used to be?

Ever think about how quickly they disappeared?

There is a certain percentage of the population that will ALWAYS buy based on price point alone. Period.

Low price rarely equates to economy, unfortunately that is NOT a widely held opinion.

Best of luck. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos

2004-08-06          92893

sad but true. being cheap can really bite you in the butt. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-09          93094

MURF,,dont forget the "YUGO",,or maybe a Belarus,,,,LOL ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-10          93109

Yugo's I will go along with.

A Belarus however is a really rugged well-built tractor, way heavier than North American farmers would tolerate, but nearly bullet-proof. They have some nifty features that ours still don't have, like a fuel tank mounted down low, with a filler cap that's at about the same height as that on a pickup, and a 3pth equipped with powered down-pressure.

Go just about anywhere they use tractors for forestry work and I'm sure you will find plenty of them working away.

Best of luck. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-10          93112

Murf......you ARE kidding about the Belarus.......right??? ;o) ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-10          93117

Actually Randy, no I wasn't, I was skeptical at first also. A lot of farmers around here bought Russian tractors because they were cheap power, for things like running irrigation pumps, pulling wagons or spreaders, blowing snow. The sort of stuff that just about anything can do, including miltary surplus trucks, LOL.

Most of them turned out to be useless junk, Zetors for instance turned out to be very unreliable and hard to find parts for. In true Russian fashion, just like with the Lada (Russian for Fiat), they took something good and butchered it through terrible production and support.

The Belarus however, and another one from Yugoslavia, the name of which escapes me, were actually decent machines.

There are several large dealers up here who sell & maintain a LOT of them, just north of here there is a lrge area where forestry is the predominant home industry. There are very few tractors working in the bush up ther that AREN'T Belarus's. They are built like a T-34 with rubber tires instead of tracks.

Best of luck. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-10          93122

Actually my experiences and impressions of Belarus tractors was from experiences several years ago. Perhaps they have gotten a handle on quality of materials and workmanship since then but the Belarus's I looked at were rusting pieces of oil leaking junk and these were new tractors I was looking at. The rubber trim and weather stripping on the cabs was falling apart on these new machines as well as the tires too; they appeared to be dry rotted. The Belarus my uncle had was not much better. I believe he ended up getting ride of it. That was back in the early and mid 90's. I have never went back for another look since. Maybe they have gotten there quality of production improved. I'll take another look. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-10          93128

A lot of them used to arrive that way, the dealers would fix and replace a lot of minor items, usually 4 new tires too.

I'm told the plant was purchased by a group of Polish businessmen who have really turned things around the last few years.

The basic tractor was never really bad, it was just built by uncaring lackadaisical labourers who didn't have to worry about keeping their jobs no matter what kind of crap they turned out.

A neighbour of ours bought a 8045 that was unused but had been sitting on a delaers lot for several years. He spent one whole winter redoing it, tires, wiring, trim, the whole shooting match. Mind you he didn't put a value on his time but he said it has been trouble-free ever since.

He said it cost him US$12,000 (Cdn $16,000) for a brand new 80hp 4X4 with a heated cab, including 4 new tires, I'd say that was a bargain. He later found a new non-current loader for it that cost him another US$3,500 and some time to fabricate the mounts.

It is incredibly heavy compared to a domestic machine, but it sure works.

Best of luck. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos

2004-08-11          93237

IMO Belarus's big claim to fame is its engines. I have a VERY old Belarus air cooled 2 cylinder engine on my Cedar Rapids gravel screener. It is quite possibly the best engine I have even owned. Screeners run all day at full RPM with a lot of power to it, they shake hard and get full of dust. That engine has been absolutely bullet proof. My story isn't the only one, they have high respect with a lot of contractors for light plants etc. ....

why do people ignore TCO

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-12          93287

He should compare prices on used ones. IMO you can't give these things away. "Pay now or pay later"

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login