Go Bottom Go Bottom

What to buy JD 790 - 4200 - 4300

View my Photos
cj2002b
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-28          69847

Looking for input on what to buy. I was originally considering a JD 790 but am a little concerned with the 3 pt hitch weight limits. I'm looking at used because I would like to buy it outright so the JD financing doesn't help me.

Now I'm thinkng maybe a 4200 or 4300. I want to get it with a loader and will put a brush hog on it. Would like to mow my mtn trails, snowblow my 3/4 mi. driveway and skid some logs possibly.

I just saw an add for a 4300 4wd w/loader, 200hrs. for $12,000. Seems like a decent deal.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69848

I have a 790 I really like it. What implement are you concerned with lifting? I haven't really seen too many implements tha I would consider running with a tracor of this size/hp that would be too heavy???

If you are skidding huge logs the tractor itself might be a little light though. I skid big telephone poles in pairs with no problem and pretty big trees/logs what size trees are you after?

Is this logging a hobby/occassional item or a regular thing you will be doing.

View my Photos
cj2002b

2003-11-28          69850

As far as implements, I was concerned about being limited in the Rotary Cutter choices. I know that JD makes one for this machine, but would like to keep my options open if I can find a used one. I originally thought about a 3ph woodchipper, but after reading all the posts, may stick with bonfires.

As far as logging goes, I have over 100 acres (mainly wooded). I cut 10-15 cords a year, I also wouldn't mind having a heavier tractor just for the extra pulling ability. For really big stuff, I have a JD 450 dozer, but would like to find a tractor that I can mainly use (Bulldozer = destruction).

How have you found the loader work with the 790 transmission? (as opposed to a Hydro) ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69853

cj I am thinking your use and mine are similar. I have a 4400 sycro reverser. The tractor is quite small for any serious woods work. I burn 15 or so face cords a year and use mine in the woods but have to tone down my expectations quite a bit. I have an old Farmall M I use for heavier grunt work if I really have to. The sheet metal is really straight so I am very careful with it. I try and barter for my fire wood all cut and split as much as possible. But I do cut a fair amount.

I would not use anything any smaller than a 4300 and I would weight it down. I use chains almost always in the woods. It does not matter what you use for tires skidding is too rough on tires w/o chains.

I have no problems with my std shift arrangement for loader work it actually works a lot like a regular construction loader except the throttle stays set on the tractor. Use the left pedal in loader to disengage the drive to use throttle for hyd on bucket etc. Use the clutch to cng direction and creep up to dump with tractor...

The hydro I'd probably screw up because of real equipment use ie: leaning on throttle to add some power for breakout. Hydro you have to let up to add power...and throttle still set...

Just spent a week in a 300 cat excavator and on a D8 it spoils me when I go back to "baby" toys. But I get a lot of projects accomplished with my little toys here I just can not be in any kind of a hurry.

The front axle will not be an issuse for you with your use. But there is a bushing or 2 in the finials and transmission you really need to watch for. Test drive tractor get it warm use the "C" range and 4th gear and head down a hill and decelerate and listen for a banging, it will sound like pinion gears slipping on the ring gear. Stay away from it unless JD will upgrade it for you NO CHARGE!

Good Luck Harvey ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69854

I wanted a gear tractor, the shuttle shift would have been nice though. I have no problem with FEL work. I use it for dirt/mud smoothing and manure removal weekly.

If I were a contractor or landscaper and was going to be doing extensive FEL work daily maybe HST would be more of a need. For the average Joe I don't think we spend that may hours doing non-stop FEL work unless it's a special project.

Sounds like you have a lot of property for a 790. I would say get a bigger tractor but since you have the dozer a 790 might be good, depends on how much you want to get away for dozer use. It fits between the trees rather than going OVER them :) It pulls a good sized trailer, fits everywhere, does my other jobs and works well for me. I could use the dozer once in awhile though ;)

I support the bonfire over chip idea as well, I would STILL be chipping what I cleared this summer ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-28          69858

cj2002b, in a nutshell, based on the uses and concerns you mentioned; consider a tractor in the 4300 class. It will have the hp & weight to operate pretty much what you want and the hydro drive will make snow blow so much nicer. You can get all of your tasks done with a less expensive gear shift tractor but the hydro is really nice. I used a gearshift tractor for over 10 years and would not have consided the ehydro until my friend made me get on one and try it out as well as the demo's I witnessed with military sales. I never knew what I was missing out on. A good gearshift choice if you are looking to spend less money would be the John Deere 990.

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-28          69875

I think the price is relatively good on the 4300. Loading with the 790 can be a problem but it is do able. I would recommend that you look at the larger tractors with the acreage and the useage. ....

View my Photos
jchipps

2004-04-04          82056

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple questions.

I am currently looking to purchase a "used tractor" and have pretty much decided on "Green"

I have looked at a JD 850, 950, 1050, 2040, and 790 all of which are in different price ranges and conditions.

I would like to have a FEL if I can fit it in my budget. I only have about 8 acres to take care of and will mainly use tractor for brush hogging and snow removal from my driveway.

1. Any suggestions ?

2.When you are talking about hydro transmission vs gear transmission, what exactly are you referring to and how might it affect the operation of the tractor ?

3. What type transmission is in the older tractors such as the 850, up to the 2040 ?

Any info greatly appreciated ! ....

View my Photos
JoeBuck

2004-04-04          82058

I just bought a 1997 JD770 with 850 hrs and 4 wheel drive, extra ag tires front and back, 52" mower deck midPTO, ROPs w/canopy for $9500. Added a Woods 750 for $3500 (used). Helpful? ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-04-04          82059

Jchips,
Info about your terrain, driveway would make answering easier, but here's some general info anyway.

1) Brush cutters are horsepower hogs! Up to 1" stems on even ground you can probably use one of the lighter cutters. Rough ground or old stumps, stems to 2" etc, a medium duty cutter with a stump-jumper would be better.

2) I can't say enough good things about hydro. Smooth starts, auto-braking, full power at creep speeds are some advantages over manual transmissions. Tractor hydro is not like an atomobile automatic transmission. Hydro uses a variable displacement hydraulic pump - hydraulic motor pair to power the output gears.
You still get a clutch, and 2 or more 'speed ranges' to operate in. Basicly, you set the speed range and throttle, then use the foot pedal(s) to control speed and direction. Excellent for rear snow-blowing as full power is available to the blower even when you creep through a big drift. When starting in mud or snow, or on a hill, hydro is much easier than chutch-and-shift (or chutch-and-spin/lurch).
Good maintenance of filters and fluid is a must for trouble-free hyro longevity. Parts are expensive, but check the cost of splitting the tractor to replace a clutch and throwout bearing.
Search the topics with keyword 'hydro' for a lot of info.

3) I don't know. Hydrostatic drive has been in use for many years, so some of the utility farm tractors may have it. Check for 'live PTO', the PTO on some old models may stop when the clutch is depressed.

Get some seat time at local dealers. Kubota and Deere usually will let you try a tractor on their lot. It will at least give you a baseline for comparison, and let you get to know your dealer (you'll be buying supplies and parts).
Hope this helps,
bliz ....

View my Photos
Toller

2004-04-04          82159

jchips-

There's another model you have not mentioned...the JD 970. I just bought a used one with MFWD for $9,000. It's a 1998 and had just a 1,000 hours on it. I fitted it with a 430 FEL, rock rake, box blade, rear blade, and LX5 rotary cutter. It has a bit more horses than the 790. I've been tickled to death with it. I note that Machinefinder has a few of them from time to time.

Eric

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login