Go Bottom Go Bottom

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Bronco Man
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-28          65036

The J.D. 790 as far as I know has always been advertised having 30 H.P. I recently stopped at the dealership and it now has an advertised H.P. of only 27. The salesman told me he didn't know the reason for the change. Anybody out there have an idea?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-28          65041

The transmission assembly of that tractor was originally used on the 750 which was 20 hp, In 98 they made the 790 with 30 hp. To me this seem like a big boost, maybe they have been having some problems with the transmissions or differentials and decided to detune a little?
To me the brakes are a little weak for the power. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
mrmonkeyman

2003-09-28          65043

I think the engine specs changed due to emissions requirements a while back. Later tractors are 27hp, and have a different model engine than the early ones. I think the engine is the same size, etc though. We caught that too, and our saleman called JD about it to verify. I doubt anyone would miss 3hp anyway, and I've found Yanmar's conservative in ratings to boot.

Mike ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-29          65110

Tractor has plenty of power but the motor shrunk and the hp went from 30/25 to 27/24.

I know.... I was one of the ones who ordered under the old specs. but took delivery under the new. I was not happy at first but soon realized the tractor has PLENTY of power for the size and weight.

Great tractor and I would buy it again. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Bronco Man

2003-09-30          65116

Thanks for clearing up the H.P. issue with the 790. I have a 770 and love it and thought the only real difference between it and the 790 was H.P. Thanks guys for all your input! ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-30          65140

There are actually three numbers Deere publishes for the 790: Gross, Net and PTO horsepower.

Deere has begun to publish these figures for all the small tractors, although with most the difference between Gross and Net HP is about 1/2HP, not the 3 horse drop listed for the 790.

I have to say I do not understand the distinction, maybe Gross is engine output and Net is what you get at the wheels?

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Bronco Man

2003-10-04          65579

My local John Deere dealer just informed me that the recent 790 tractor has the same engine as the 4210 has. It used to have a the 4300 engine. He claims that literature and info on the J.D. website are current with production. That means that the new 790 has less cubit inches than my 770 and older 790's. Deere could be looking at some lawsuits for those who bought tractors under false specs. You may say that 3 hp isn't much but it can be when you only start with 27. I dissappoited that J.D. is trying to pull a fast one! ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-04          65582

3 HP may not sound like much, but try upsizing a new machine by 3 HP and there is a considerable increase in price ! ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-04          65585

I don't like the fact the JD derated the horsepower on the 790 but I'll bet the brochure for that machine contains a disclaimer stating that they reserve the right to change specs at anytime. The problem is that JD didn't make that clear to buyers that the change was coming so some folks bought one machine and got another. That doesn't seem right. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-04          65586

I agree, it sure looks like John Deere shot themself in the foot on this issue. I'll do some checking around and see what I can find out from my buddy what is up with this. You would think that they would at least offer to turn up the injection pump to get the hp back to somewhere near where is was before but in some cases, that is not practical. Or other changes were made in the power train that will not support an engine up rate. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-04          65587

I have looked at both versions of the 790 and I think the only change was the motor.

I also think JD did it to create a HP gap between some of the other models. The 790 at 30 hp was a real bargain and maybe dropping it to 27 will help sell some of the models with more bells and whistles. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-04          65592

Since other mfg. still offer 30 HP in economy models for around the same price as the 790, JD may have just made a popular model for them much less desirable !
They already were offering lower lift capacities and dry brakes vs wet brakes, but now lower HP ratings also as compared to the competition. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-05          65603

Vince;
Never underestimate the power of green. Although you expect there has to be a breaking point some place. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-05          65607

That is exactly why I went into my tractor buying decission colorblind !! ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-05          65608

The marketing departments of most companies like to give their sales people all the reasons they can to up-sell the customer to more expensive and more profitable machines. Somebody probably did an analysis and figured that they might lose a few sales to the competition but many customers would buy more expensive machines instead. The 790 is still a heck of a tractor and you don't read too many stories from owners who are disappointed in them. ....

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-05          65636

"Vince;
Never underestimate the power of green. Although you expect there has to be a breaking point some place."

I bought green but being that this was my first tractor I had no loyalty to JD. It just worked out that way.

I will say that the green does get attention. Right or wrong people are impressed with the JD name. I have heard coutless times " I wanted to get a JD but the were too much money" or "next time I am going to get a JD" or " I didn't look because I thought they were too much money"

JD name sure does draw positive comments and it is good to hear after yuo've bought but the JD was the cheapest model that suited my needs and the color was not my worry.

I do get admiring glances from people driving by...it must be the green tractor cause I aint' THAT good looking!

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-05          65640

Your right, people are impressed with the John Deere name.
I'm was one of them !
I still wear the JD shirts and hats.
When I first started looking for a newer tractor I was leaning toward John Deere since I've had my 850 for many years and its been good to me.
But once I started pricing slightly used or new tractors with certain size and features I knew I wanted and saw the prices in my area I got over it and moved on.

J D 790 H P

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-05          65642

"But once I started pricing slightly used or new tractors with certain size and features I knew I wanted and saw the prices in my area I got over it and moved on."

The price thing is sort of a double edged sword. While they may be more expensive new they are as you indicated more expensive used ( sometimes by alot) so your resale is good. For me the new 790 was agood bargain and I think other JD "no frills" models like the 790,990, 5XXX models are also good bargains. Their higher end models with all the bells and whistles are too rich for my blood :)

I have always considered myself a Fbit of Ford guy so NH/Ford was actually my first idea when I started looking for used/new machines.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login