Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 Price Advice Needed------

View my Photos
HuskyGTH200
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-28          62822

I am also a newcomer to this most informative website. And I have read alot of posts on here. I am looking to purchase a compact, my first thought was around the 24 HP range, either green or orange. Have made many phone calls and inquiries and have even test drove some. Then today went to lunch and spun through my local JD Dealership to see what may have been traded or if there was anything new that came in. They have a 2002, 4300 Hydro Static Drive not a E Hydro(somebody explain some pros & cons to that one), 430 loader with 61" bucket, 72" MMM, 59" Front Blower, 50" Tiller, and turf tires( which he will swap to R4's, which I prefer, at no addition price change, so he says), with 66 hours on the meter. I know that this is a 32hp and is much bigger than what I originally was in search of, but that does seem to be the trend after a few years, is to upgrade to a bigger machine. My uses will be for mowing 2 acres, snow blowing about 300 ft of driveway, firewood from the wood lot and some road maintenance at hunting camp, along with spreading stone, mulch, and anything else that comes along. My first thought that this may be just plain overkill for my uses, but maybe I'm not looking at it right. Also, don't have a use right off for the tiller, but a garden sure would be easy to get prepared with one. Almost forgot the selling price of $23,000 for the package.......and it's from a JD dealer in northern ny..........

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-28          62826

If you were to purchase all that today, new 4310 with all those goodies it would be around 28,700. The machine would around 17K, deck 2700, front snowblower 4000 (I assume it has the quick hitch as well), 3500 for the front loader and 1500 tiller. Basically you are getting the snowblower and tiller for free. As for hydro, the e-just makes the pedals softer; that is, under hard use you will begin to notice that pedals to get stiffer and you have to physically push them harder, this e-hydro just trys to minimize the amount of force you need to apply. ....

View my Photos
eyedrron

2003-08-28          62832

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 4310 WITH 430 LOADER FOR 17,OOO LAST MAY. IT HAS THE E-REVERSER, NOT E-HYDRO ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-28          62833

That sounds like a good deal....... maybe a little too good. Why was the tractor and all of this equipment traded in with only 66 hours??? You may want to see if you can contact the previous owner and find out why and ask a few questions if possible. ....

View my Photos
HuskyGTH200

2003-08-29          62854

From what the dealer indicated, the previous owner traded for something smaller that had less weight. He said the owner didn't like the way it sunk into his lawn in wet areas. Well my first thought to that was, don't go on the lawn in the rain.....it was a real wet spring and summer this year, so I think, it wouldn't matter what machine he had, he still would tear it up. Yes it does have the quick mount loader, I stopped at the dealer and he showed me how that works......looks prety damn simple and quick. The dealer did say, that he doesn't like the e-hydro, he thought that you need to back off the throttle pedal a little sooner for stops, like it almost throttles down at a slower rate and the machine doesn't slow down as fast as a hydro. Any thoughts or experience with this? I did notice that the machine also has the front end brush guard, which I understand is a must for any woods work. I am concerned about the 72MMM being to big. Will it scalp my lawn? I have heard that a 60"MMM will follow the lawn better than a 72MMM, my lawn is not golf course flat, just your typical country lawn. As for R4 tires -vs- Turf (R1) any suggestions or experiences? Thanks to all that post. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-29          62861

4300 is getting up to the size where trailering becomes a concern. You mentioned taking it to camp, how will it get there?

You may be able to strike a similar deal (money wise) on a new 4110 or 4115 with a smaller MMM.

If you do the math, you may be surprised how quickly the weights start adding up, especially when you start with a base tractor that weighs 2700 pounds. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-29          62866

I'm not sure what your dealer is complaining about with the eHydro. The stopping rate with the eHydro is adjustable from the drivers seat with the Speedmatch feature. Maybe your dealer hasn't bothered to learn how it works. I've got mine set to stop pretty darn quick. ....

View my Photos
HuskyGTH200

2003-08-30          62913

I think you hit the nail on the head with the e-hydro, how many dealers out there atually spend a lot of time on every machine the have on thier lots? I agree that he is not familar with how the adjust works. Okay good point on trying to haul this machine. I won't ever haul it on a trailer for 2-3 hours anyhwhere, but maybe an hour. Camp is only 10 miles from home. I have a V8, F150 2wd, manual trans., with overload springs, which will be towing a 2 axle car trailer rated at 5500lb. I think it should be fine, but am considering upgrading to a 4x4. Any suggestions as to if my towing combo. will be adequate? Again, any experiences with R4 tires out there? I do have some concerns about digging into the lawn also? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-30          62919

My 4115 with a loader and a backhoe maxes out my 5000 gvw trailer and my tractor weighs 1100 pounds less than a 4300. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-30          62920

The 4300 4WD HST weight approx. 2900 lbs. I would estimate a 430 loader and bucket at around 600 - 800 lbs. Fluid filled tires add approx. 1,000 lbs., MMM add approx. 500 lbs., and a tiller or other impliment on the back another 400 lbs. This puts you at around 5,100 lbs. load. The trailer is probably at least 1,500 - 1,800 lbs. Now we are upto 6,900 lbs. Figure at least 7,000 lbs. when you throw all of your stuff in the truck. I would think that 7,000 lbs. is well beyond the towing capactity rating for an F-150. Does this trailer have brakes? It will be required to. Could you stretch the limits and pull this rig maybe 10 miles or so with this truck and get away with it once in a GREAT while? ........ yeah, more than probably. Only thing is you are not legal on the road with it, your insurance would have a field day with you if involved in an accident. Even though this is an unlikely situation, I would suggest you look at a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up if you are going to buy another truck. Get the diesel or at least big V-8 gas engine and MANUAL transmission. Weight can add up fast when towing equipment such as this and even if within the limits of the trailer you still have to pay attention to GCVWR gross combined vehicle weight rating. Most states require trailer brakes over 3,000 lbs. You may not go as heavy as I layed out but you need to consider these areas. Good luck and be safe. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-30          62928

Close, Chief. Very close. The shipping weight on a 430 loader is listed at 789 pounds. ....

View my Photos
HuskyGTH200

2003-08-31          62954

God I love this forum.........Thank you for your hands on knowledge. I think for taking this machine to camp, I will drive it. Can't upgrade truck & trailer all at once along with purchasing the tractor. But will, definitely, within the next year. Don't want to be illegal or cause any undue headaches in case of an accident, that's for sure, and don't want to go down the road feeling like the trailer is in control instead of the truck. So let me see is I got this correct for specs on a trailer: 7500lb rating, 2 axle, with brakes is a must. I think a 18' length would handle tractor with loader and possibly a rotary cutter. I want to upgrade trailer this fall, since my 5500lb trailer is in real good shape and don't want to expose it to another winter of salt.......Thanks again for all great advise. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-31          62955

Where did you find the spec. weight for the loader Mark? I looked all over and did not see it. I did not see it in the manual either. Thanks for the info.! That is a bunch of weight on the front end of the tractor.

HuskyGT, do you have any friends with a heavier duty trailer and truck? Maybe you could work out a deal to get them to move it on their trailer. Get at least an 18' trailer. I have a 14' Ja-Mar tandem axle that I brought the tractor home with and I had to leave the loader in the air over my pickup bed. Did not like that one bit. Weight wise I was OK with twin 3500 lb. axles, but I will eventually upgrade to a 20' trailer to accomodate the FEL and a rotary cutter. The tractor would fit on the trailer with the loader but just barely and the weight distro. was such that I had NO tongue weight. I may end up going with a goose neck type trailer. I think you get the best ride and control with those. Best weight distro. as well. When and if you do decide to get another trailer, give Ja-Mar a look. They make a VERY well built trailer. I believe they had a couple of goose neck trailers they are trying to move right now. Give them a call. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-31          62960

Chief, I am sending you the spec sheet via e-mail. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-31          62961

Thanks Mark, good eye! Gotta be that police training and background. ;-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login