Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fair Price for 1993 JD 755

View my Photos
George Nella
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-22          62407

I am interested in purchasing a 1993 JD 755 4WD Hydro. Has a #70 loader and industrial tires, and a 5' Woods Brush Hog. What is a fair price?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
George Nella

2003-08-22          62475

This tractor has approximately 1100 hours on it and it needs the fuel injection timing done. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-22          62478

The tractor is worth around $7500 give or take in fair condition. Depending on the condition of the loader and rotary cutter, maybe add another $750; preferably less. They are pretty subjective as there is no telling about wear and tear on them, at least beyond what is obviously apparent. Hope this helps. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-22          62482

Why does it need the pump timed? ....

View my Photos
george nella

2003-08-24          62594

It has new glow plugs, but was still hard to start. Also, the owner used a galvanized fuel container for years, and from what I understand this is a no no with diesel fuel. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-24          62600

Not trying to sound like a stick in the mud; but this is starting to sound less and less like a good deal. I have this feeling in my bones that ether has been used to start this tractor and the compression is down to the point that the owner was trying things like replacing the glow plugs, etc. Why did he replace the glow plugs? I can see replacing one or two but not all. Even if the owner used a galvanized fuel can for years and the zinc flaked off in the fuel tank; the engine fuel filter should have caught it. Fuel injection pumps don't loose timing unless someone has had it apart or been "fiddling" with it. I would suggest you look deeper into this deal and ask some more detailed questions. ....

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-08-25          62630

It appears that Ether was used to start this tractor. It was used extensively by a farm hand and cans of ether were found in the barn where it was stored. All 3 glow plugs were replaced by me because we thought that would cure the hard starting problem. I did some of the maintence on this tractor, oil changes, etc... however, there were other people using it. Once it finally starts, it runs fine and as long as it is warm it fires right up. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-25          62642

Sounds to me like this tractor is an "ether baby". Ether is EXTREMELY hard on a diesel engine and if used in an abusive or ignorant of facts manor, can crack pistons, and even bend a rod. It also causes loss of compression which is why this tractor is difficult to start. NEVER EVER use either in a diesel. Only situation I could see using it in is if the engine has thousands of hours and is already worn out and hard to start. Even then, I would say it is time for a rebuild. You don't want this tractor. If it required ether to start in warm weather. It will be nearly impossible to start in cold weather. Save your money and keep looking for a well maintained tractor. Sorry about your negative experience, but at least you found out before you bought it. ....

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-08-26          62696

Thank you Chief for responding to our post your information
was an eye opener. We will continue on our quest for a tractor that can handle our needs here on our 10 acre farm. Basically, what we need is a 30 - 40 horse power tractor with 4 wheel drive, a loader, and a brush hog. We have a long driveway and can't shovel it all by hand when it snows. Of course, price IS an object. We are considering a Kioti or New Holland, possibly new, so we don't get someone elses problem. Your thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks again!

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-26          62706

You're more than welcome. You still may want to take a look at some of the new tractors. There are alot of really good incentives with most of the tractor manufactures that get the payments down to a very reasonable amount. I would say that in your case a John Deere 4310, 4410, or 45/4610 would be suited to your tasks with the 4310 being the best buy. If you are not concerned about hydrostatic drive a John Deere 790 or 990 would be ideal. These are both great and reliable tractors for the money. I personally like the 990 for the hp range you specify. Kubota also makes a very good tractor that holds up well. I would just caution you to let the buyer beware if you buy a used tractor. There are alot of good deals out there and not so good deals as you have seen. Look around like you did seeing the ether in the barn. Ask questions about servicing. If the tractor is warmed up when you arrive; walk away. ALWAYS test demo the tractor stone cold. Pay close attention to clutch performance and hydraulics. I don't have any experience with the Kioti tractors but have heard many owners praise them highly. I have had very bad experience with New Holland but that was with a TW-20 ag tractor. If you compare the John Deere 790 and 990 with the rest of the field, I think you may find that they are VERY competitively priced. I am sure some of the other guys on the board will jump in here with some suggestions on other color tractors that have experience with them. Good luck with your search. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-10          65946

I would give him may be $2000 for it a throw away the tractor and keep the loader and mower. If they used ether on the motor then the piston heads and rings are shot. I bought my 955 for $8500 from a dealer who had gone through the who thing already and replaced anything that would break in the next 250 hours of operation. It had 951 hours on it with a mint loader and a beat mower deck. Plus the owner of the dealer is a friend of mine and really wanted this trade in off the lot. Just got to look hard enough to find what your looking for, it took me 2 years. ....

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-10-10          65977

Thanks for your reply Itsgottobegreen, but it wound up being orange, Kioti orange that is. The tractor we originally wanted (755) was gobbled up by the beneficiaries of the estate. Then we looked at a used Ford and finally decided to buy new. We looked at Kioti, JD, and Kubota as they are close to us. We got the most bang for our buck with the Kioti. We just took delivery last Saturday, and have not even gotten it dirty yet. Thanks for the input. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-10          65979

Congradulations I don't think you made a bad move. What model Kioti did you opt for? ....

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-10-11          66042

We got the LK3054 with a KL1230 loader and R4 tires. The dealer welded 3 hooks on the top of the bucket for us. We are looking forward to getting it dirty. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login