Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need Advice quick- 2001 JD 4100 gear drive under 10hrs

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-17          59676

I'm looking at a 2001 4100 gear drive with less than 10hrs.
The price is around $7900, and it includes a Rotary cutter (I think a 413). I want a unit with a FEL, but this doesnt have one.
The unit really hasnt been used, but I need a FEL and that option is about $2700 from dealer. This is a private sale, non dealer...

Anything to look out for on these machines??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-17          59680

I have had my 4100 Gear for two years and it has been pretty bullet proof.

Unlike its big brothers it does not have a laundry list of service bulletins filed against it.

That is a good price, the 410 loader will go right on it.

Does it already have the loader control valve installed?

What type of tires come with it? ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-07-17          59683

Hi Mark,
To be honest your Bx22 is what I want truely !! but Nevada
is just too exteme of a commute!! I was turned on to this unit by shear luck. It has R4's, and the valve for FEL, comes with the rotary cutter (413?) and some canopy..I dont need the canopy & cutter, so I have to get a loader.
I was told its a 20 HP unit, but I cant confirm if these 4100 were 20 HP...The 46 BH option is $6300 !!
If this price is good I think I can get it for $7500...and then I will add the FEL...unless the BX finds its way to Long Island?
Thanks again for the info---any info you have is great!! ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-07-17          59707

Thanks again Mark for the good info...you are selling both the BX 22 & 4100 ? howcome? which did you like beter? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-17          59710

OK here goes my two cents (1.4 cents Canadian) worth.

Ducati, buy Marks Deere from him, I would be willing to bet the shipping to you by truck would be no more than $500 as 'standby' frieght.

It would cost you the same 'in your yard' as the other machine and you have a better handle on the history of Mark's machine, besides I doubt the other seller is as available for (good) advise via the 'net as Mark is...

Just my thoughts from the cheap (northern) seats.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-17          59712

The 4100 has the ground clearance, tire size and strong loader that I want and the BX has an HST, a great little backhoe and a front blade.

I am selling both and getting a 4115 which has all the best features of both, a little more horsepower and to get back to a single tractor payment.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-17          59713

A BX22 will set you back around $16K and then there are taxes.

Sounds like you could put this deal together for just over $15K for tractor,loader and backhoe. And then maybe you could sell the cutter or use it as a trade-in on the loader or the backhoe. Might even come in a little cheaper if you haggle a bit more.

The R-4 tires are a big plus over ag tires.

The engine does produce 20 gross horses and 17 at the PTO shaft. The current 4110 Gear is EXACTLY the same machine so if you tap into Deere's web site all the stats are there.

BTW, I just listed my 4100/loader/R-1's/110 hours in the paper for $9995

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-18          59739

I gotta agree with my northern neighbor here. Murf is right youd be better off getting one from Mark and paying the freight. Besides if you do it that way you wont have to pay state taxes (wink) and that should cover the freight bill. You'll not find a better person to buy frome. Good luck either way. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-07-18          59758

Doc and Murf,

I understand where you are coming from. This is a private sale so no taxes involved(and you dont register tractors). Mark gave me advice and the Rotary cutter will be traded in for credit towards the loader. The machine has 8.5 hrs on it...and close enough near me...if this deal fell apart (for some strange reason, then I will contact mark absolutely)...It would be the BX I would want however...

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-18          59759

Sounds Like you got it wrapped up. Personally I'd take the Bx from mark instead of settleing for my second choice. No matter what its tough to be satisfied when you are not getting your first pick on a piece of machinery. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-18          59760

Ducati, be careful on that no tax idea.

A former neighbour of mine from Florida bought a nice house on a couple of acres out in the country. He figured he needed a CUT for maintenance, etc., mostly etc., and made a deal with a local to buy his almost new tractor.

The deal was done, unit delivered and he was fat dumb and happy toodling around on his new toy. Then the other shoe dropped. Months later he got a letter in the mail from the State Tax people asking him to sign the enclosed tax remitance form and send it back along with a cheque for about $1400 being $700 of undeclared taxes and a $700 penalty for same, failure to do so in 5 days would result in prosecution.

It seems the tractor was financed and the bank had registered a lien against it and the former owner, when the unit was sold and the lien paid off the tax people called to investigate and were told who the purchaser was and how much it sold for.

If you check with those nice people up in Albany I'll bet you they say tax IS payable on that purchase, there just is no dealer or license office to put their hand out to collect it, that doesn't mean it's not owing.

The government is looking for every penny they can these days, here in Canada they have started handing unpaid tickets, etc., to collection agencies to get them collected.

Be careful & best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-18          59763

I think this was discussed on another channel with the consensus being that you actually have to take a tractor loan or use it for collateral for that to be the case. In either event as a general rule their is no sales tax due when purchaseing out of state. You need to know your own laws so before any one shoots back please note the above ! This is even the case for retail sales if the seller does not have a store or any physical locations in your home state. Either way if youre paying cash you save. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-07-18          59765

Hi Guys,
I appreciate the advice regarding the tax issue..its a cash issue with no tracable path..If this was a dealer sales then tax would have to be paid.

Mark isnt selling me or anyone else the Bx22 anyway(I think)
he mentioned it would be for sale soon, but no time as to when, so its a mute point. I doubt it would only cost $500 to ship from Nevada to Long island, NY (my doorstep). So the savings is lost there

If I was going new ( Kubota or JD) Connecticut is close enough for me to bypass the tax issue all together..

Thanks again...

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-18          59766

Ducati, the experience of my former neighbour WAS a CASH deal.

If the unit was financed and secured by a lien, the paper trail is a GOVERNMENT PAPER trail.

As for shipping, I regularly ship my units back and for between Toronto & Miami for trans-shipment to the caribbean for winter jobs. We truck them to Buffalo (1.5 hrs.) ourselves and hand them off to the trucking company to save the border crossing problems. Buffalo to Miami is $375 per unit as "standby" or "top load" frieght. They usually arrive in 4 days, sometimes only 2 days, sometimes it's a week.

Either way, enjoy the new unit.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login