Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 with 48 hoe cannot get it to attach

View my Photos
jimbopa
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-18          38769

Here is the problem, new 4310 with 48 hoe, I was able to detach the hoe. Now I go back to put it on an have a problem.

The unit lines up, I drop the rockshaft-I call it the tractor three point arms. Back the tractor in and lift but the unit will not lift high engough for the l pins to insert in the hole.

It says call the dealer to adjust the rockshaft linkage.

The other problem, cannot figure out what hoses get hooked up. I have a buypass on in now but when I hook the two back in I cannot move any parts on the hoe. Looking at the back of the unit I have the return on the left, which I belive goes all the way under the seat to the right female (this is where I had the bypass hoes on when the unit was off )coupler. the one on the left has a female coupler and goes under the seat to the left.

Seems kinda confussing, Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-19          38778

My first thought about the comment that the nothing on the hoe moves is that a quick-connect fitting isn't firmly connected. If it's the pressure side, then nothing will happen and the relief valve will open. If it's the return side, the hoe may jump a bit before the relief valve opens. The balls on the end of male QC fittings have to be depressed to make the connection. There can be enough pressure in a line to prevent the ball from depressing if the line was disconnected while a load was on a cylinder. Same thing happens if a line was disconnected on a cool day in the shade and reconnected on a hot day in the sun. Wrapping a rag around the fitting and pressing on the ball can clear the problem. If that’s not the problem, I can return to plumbing questions—otherwise this post gets too long. I’d be careful about the hydraulic connections though, hoe valves have definite input and return ports. Things can be damaged if they’re hooked up backwards.

I guess this is the JD mount that uses the 3ph to lift the hoe to its sub-frame mounts as opposed to a 3ph hoe. I don't know if this is an 'almost but not quite' or 'no where near' problem. My first thought is that if it almost mounts, the 3ph height might be given a bit of help with a pry-bar. The 3ph probably doesn't go to its physical limit and can be helped a bit. A 3ph at it's physical limit will cause the relief valve to open, which can be heard. If there's no relief-valve sound the 3ph almost certainly has some room to rise. Crawling under things to use a jack would be dangerous. The 3ph adjustment is easy enough to do, but a manual should be followed.

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-19          38793

Tom,

Tried everything, somethoing has to be wrong with the rockshaft. It will not go down unless I manually push the two arms down. Then after I back into the tractor it will not lift the hoe high enough to put the L pins in. Just a hair to short. I tried everything, also turned the rockshaft dial both ways.

The hoe is a number 48 unit Any suggestion. Two issue the lack of movement of the rockshaft and the fact that it will not lift it high enough ....

View my Photos
Carter

2002-05-19          38800

I had the same problem with my Bh 1st time I had it off. There is some adjustment in what the owners manual calls the movable latch plates (where the rockshaft pins lift the hoe up). I had to take a jack and lift the hoe up enough to get the pins in and then adjust the plates, haven't had a problem since then. My rockshaft arms don't seem to want to go down by themselves if there isn't anything attached to them, must not have enough weight. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2002-05-19          38801

I have had the same lift problem with my 48 hoe. I use a jack to raise the hoe up a little so the pins will go in. Now the easyer way.
When the 3 point is up all the way. stop tractor and connect the hyd lines for the hoe and us the stablizers to raise the hoe that last little bit. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-20          38806

Terminology always is difficult. The rock (or rocker) shaft is the shaft that is on top of the lift cover and crossways to the tractor. The lift cylinder (or remote cylinder) piston rod rocks the rockshaft when it extends and retracts. Lift arms connect usually onto splines at either end of the rockshaft. The lift arms connect to the hitch arms. Unfortunately my owner's manual also uses lift arms to refer to the lower link arms (or hitch arms). A flow control valve controls the lowering speed of the hitch, which might be the rockshaft dial. Arrgaugh gets a little difficult to talk about, let alone write about.

The only time my hitch arms won't lower completely to the ground on their own weight is if I have the flow control valve nearly closed. Other tractors may be different, and it would be a minor aggravation for it to work that way.

Carter and Dana made some pretty good suggestions. Getting the L-pins in sounds like a typical problem. If the hoe isn’t mounted and dismounted frequently, I'd just go with the small aggravation and use a prybar, or better yet, the stabilizers to raise the hoe a bit.

The 3ph height adjustment is easy enough to make. However, if the adjustment is made too fine there is a risk that when the operating (or quadrant) lever is at the full up position, the hitch will lift but will remain in lift mode when the physical limit is reached. Prolonged operation would damage the pump. Carter's latch plate adjustment sounds like a better adjustment and maybe is a solution.

Another way to adjust 3ph max height is to reposition the lift arms on the rockshaft. Most are shaft ends are splined. The arms can be removed and put back in different splines. However, there is a specific procedure for positioning lift arms on the rockshaft. Indiscriminate repositioning the arms to get more height likely will result in a hitch that won't go low enough. This problem would result only if the factory or dealer assembled the tractor incorrectly or in the unlikely even a previous owner removed the arms.

Got to get these posts shorter. More on the plumbing if required I guess.

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-20          38850

The dealer suggests that I go to the 48 backhoe, at the top on both sides where the arm pins of the tractor slide in to lift there are two metal brackets-this is on the hoe now. They have two bolts on, if you narrow the gap between the bracket and hoe frame it will lift the hoe up the added 1/4 needed. I have not tried this yet but it does make sense.

As for the lack of control on the downward movement, he really did not give me a good answer-said something about the flow control adjustment.-the way he described it it sounded like the little plasitc tab next to the up down that I normally think of as a guide so you know how low to set the arms. I will let you know if it fixes the problem.

At 29K, I don't plan on using a jack everytime i want the hoe on and off. It should work as advertized.

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-21          38865

The flow control valve, which is operated by a knob below the seat on many tractors, controls only how fast the 3ph lowers. How high or low the hitch goes or the lift speed is not affected by the flow control valve. A 3ph will raise but not lower if the valve is completely closed.

Almost all equipment and machinery takes tinkering to get and keep it exactly right. Many people accept that tinkering goes with the territory and is less aggravating overall than frequent debates with dealers and manufacturer reps. But, such things are personal opinions and all opinions are equally valid. My opinion is that I'd rather see engineering costs go into low cost designs that are durable and relatively maintenance free.

View my Photos
butzkeg

2002-05-23          38953

It took some time getting used to the hookup of the backhoe. I have a 4300 and 47 hoe.

I would second the notion of getting the hoe onto the rockshaft arms, and raise it. Shut the tractor down, then connect the hydraulics. Once the hydraulics are connected, start the tractor, and use the stabilizers to gently nudge the hoe into place for the pins. I can now take the hoe on or off in under 10 minutes, with very little effort. It's probably the easiest to attach because of the stabilizers making the adjustments-I wish I could say the same for my 3pt finish mower. ....

View my Photos
Wingnut

2002-05-23          38963

I'd just like to thank all for no swear words or have they been edited out? ....

View my Photos
judd

2002-05-27          39102

The 47 and 48 backhoes go on and off without the use of any assist if the rockshaft is adjusted properly and the gold colored plates are adjusted properly on the backhoe where the rockshaft picks the backhoe up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login