Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
joann
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-08          36189

2001-4600 hydro/460 loader "demo" with 40 hours....$23390...Appreciate any input regarding this price..Should i be able to get it for any less? thanks...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
born deere

2002-03-27          36771

probably not. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-28          36798

I don't recall if 4600's had the front axle problem along with some of the smaller models. It might be good to check. The price of a JD with the old axle might be negotiable, and the old axle wasn't much of a problem except for finish mowing. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-03-28          36822

I have a sale price list dated 6/99 from a JD dealer in western wis: new 4600 hydro 4WD Turf tires: $20999 (w/o Dual Valves and midPTO).
a FEL could be bought for approx $3500 with the tractor.

Your dealer's price doesn't seem to acknowledge the new 4x10 series makes that 4600 less desirable. Suggest you insist on rounding off the number to $23,000, at least.
jim

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-23          37750

Most definately yes. I just ordered a JD 4610, ehydro, 4wheel drive, 460 loader, cruise control, armrests, extra front and rear lights. Total and I do mean TOTAL price was $23,300. Since the tractor you're looking at is a demo and the older model, I'd say the dealer could come way down on the price he quoted you.

Billy ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
grizzily79

2002-05-10          38443

Interested in purchasing a 4600 Hydrostat 4WD, recently quoted $25,850 which includes Fel($4000)and 7 ft blade ($850). Is this a good price on this tractor? Anyone with info, please share. Thanks, JR ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
grizzily79

2002-05-12          38529

Billy Passmore

You have a great dealer, could not get my dealer to budge on price which also included rebate. If he would have come down. I would have purchased, but he didn't and I have taken my business to a surrounding state, even with delivery. I will beat this price. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
4610 price check

2002-07-02          39990

Bill where did you buy your 4610? ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-02          39991

Parrish Equipment in DeQueen Arkansas

Billy ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
mike c

2002-08-03          40966

Used machines in Ill. area..4500 4wd power reverser, 460 loader with 100 hrs went for $15,000..Just passed on a 4600
4wd HST, 460 loader 200 hrs for $18,500.. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
lance

2002-08-06          41015

i just paid $29,000 out-the-door for a 4600, FWD, HST, 460 loader, 48 hoe. I love the tractor. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
grizzily79

2002-10-10          43662

Mike C

Where in Illinois, did you come up with such great prices on the 4500 series and 4600 series?

Could you please provide link or contact info?

Thanks,

JR ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
pdavepennell

2002-11-04          44580

I am a hour north of Detroit. A dealer here has given me a price of $19,200 on a 4600 2001 hydro dual SCV Ag tires and $3,000 for a 460 FEL with 73" bucket, tractor is new. I am comparing to a 4410 E-Hydro with 430 FEL set up the same except with the 61" bucket at $20,500. I have never owned a tractor before and recently purchased 80 acres of recreational land. I want to till for wildlife plots, Will do ALOT of chipping shredding, moving of wood. The balance for me is finding a machine with the HP and weight to do the job without going overboard as I have to trailer 4 hours each way and I will be doing this twice a month 9 months of the year untill I can build a storage which will be about two years. I do have a 3/4 ton diesel to tow it with but I would like to stay as small as possible to get the job done, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-04          44586

If the primary concern is towing, then you are bumping right up to the max.

When I went out looking for a 16 foot trailer to haul my little ‘Bota I learned that most trailers max out at 7000 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight. You have to get into a gooseneck to get bigger GVW, but then you are buying a trailer that weighs almost as much as you’re your tractor.
A 46-4700 with FEL is going to weigh about 4200# and the trailer with ramps will be about 1800#. Throw in a box scraper or any sort of ballast box or tiller and you are right at the max for the trailer and most frame mounted hitches.
Something to think about before you get in too deep.

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-04          44589

Here is another thought: Kubota's tend to be quite a bit lighter than other tractors when compared on a horsepower to horsepower basis. This is because most Kubota's are built on ladder frames like your truck, rather than the traditional ‘components are the frame’ approach taken by Deere and others. It may be possible to get the HP you need with a Kubota and save enough weight to haul the implements you need on the trailer with it. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-05          44620

Tractors do live outside for their entire careers and they're sort of built to do that. Good rubber boots around the shift levers, a secure rain flap on the exhaust and blocking the clutch if it's not a HST are good. My solution for lack of a shed was a 14' x 25' arctic shelter tent with an all weather cover on it.

In addition to Mark's comments about weight, I'll add that most tractors end up weighing quite a bit more than their factory weight. Loaders, ballast, fuel and implements run up the weight so it's a good idea to be certain how much everything weight before buying a trailer or committing to the hauling idea.

I'm not trying to discourage the idea, but I'm sort of trailer adverse myself. Heavy loads are hard on trucks as well as the nerves. I'd rather work out a solution for the tractor on site than maybe ending up with a second-choice tractor because it was haulable. On the other hand, if the 80-acres is mostly going to stay recreational bush, maybe a small tractor would get the work done. Small tractors usually just take more time to get a job done than big ones.

I don't know how much tilling or mowing is anticipated but maybe small would work OK. Fire wood logging or mild land clearing is an argument for big, but if this sort of work are one-time projects, then maybe contracting out the work or renting equipment is better than having a big compact. Big compacts really won't do agricultural, clearing, logging or construction projects very well. A big stand-alone chipper plus a small compact to move it around may be cheaper than a big compact.

If you argue with yourself a bit, maybe you'll find that a tractor that's small enough to comfortably trailer actually won't compromise getting the work done.

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
pdavepennell

2002-11-05          44631

Tom, can you share the cost of the artic shelter and where you got it at. This was a thought that had cossed my mind. The JD 4600 is a sweet machine at a great price, even great financeing, but I am not going to tralier that thing back and forth. I am considering the 4410 which is only 2k less but will trailer alot easier. It appears that I will have a 3-4k commitment in a trailer brake controll box, plus the cost of storage for the trailer. I am now considering the Kubota L3000 at 14k with a FEL. It is lighter and smaller and cheaper. I will not be mowing at all, tilling will be a total of no more than two acres most of which only needs to be done once a year. The woods roads I will open will be a one time deal and I will still hire a dozer to push the stumps. From there it will be used for chipping shredding. I stll like green. But orange is makeing a really strong case, I guess I the comparisons are volkswagon Vs cadillac or volkswagon Vs doing the job by hand, Unless I can get a shelter for under 5k. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
Matt Kelley

2002-11-05          44637

Check out www.FarmTek.com for inexpensive large shelters. They have 30' x 50' x 10' shelters for around $2500. Includes everything. Check it out. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
pdavepennell

2002-11-07          44697

After looking at the little orange "tractor" yesterday all I have to say is orange is defineately NOT for me. I'm a big guy. That L3000 is too small. The others are priced too high in my minds eye to be competitive with the green. I also decided against the 4600 even though it is a sweet deal I am am now only considering the 4410 e-hydro, Ag, dual SCV, 430 loader HD bucket, $20,300. I am reaching a bit of a stone wall on trailer info. Does anyone have any input on brand, price, features, ??? Websites ?? I will be driving 4 hours one way once a month. I have a 3/4 ton diesel. I want to stay as simple as possible but with quality. I really want to be able to tow the machine for a couple of years untill I can build a garage, I will be storeing the machine in my home garage for now and I guess I'll just leave the truck outside. ....

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-07          44704

Trailers are pretty generic. I have one and I can’t tell you the brand name. It is a couple of 3500-pound axles, a steel channel bed and a ball coupler. There must be at least two dozen regional plants around the US cranking out identical looking products.

But here are some shopping tips. Make sure you are buying one long enough for your tractor. You would be surprised how quickly a machine can reach 16 feet once you start hanging stuff on it. My little Kubota BX 22 TLB is more than 14 feet long with the backhoe in place.

Lower cost models have 2x10 wood decking, ramps made from angle iron with big gaps on the driving surface and 5000 pound ball couplers. Some try to cut costs by installing brakes on only one axle.

I opted for the wood deck because you can damn near double the cost of the trailer with metal decking and if the wood goes bad for some reason it is easy and cheap to replace.

I insisted on better ramps and got ones made from diamond plate. The little wheels on my tractor wouldn’t work with the gaps on the cheapest ramps.

I wouldn’t even look at trailer that didn’t have a full set of four brakes.

I also settled for a 5000-pound coupler, because my average GVW with a fully equipped tractor on board is around 4500 pounds. That will not be the case for you. You will need a 7000-pound coupler. And make sure you get sturdy tie down attach points.

Also remember, and this is true of your tractor too, once you get it home you a going to start using it for all kinds of other jobs that you didn’t anticipate, like hauling firewood and trash, or maybe that new freezer that you no longer have to wrestle into a truck bed 3 feet off the ground.

So buy with an eye toward versatility. BTW, I am 6'4" and thanks to Dr. Adkins I can weigh on one scale. And I am happily driving a BX.

You might also want to solicit opinions on the AG tires. The only use they have in my book is pulling heavy loads through soft soils, like plowing. R4's may be a better choice for you.

JD 4600 hydro 460 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-08          44742

One of the several projects I didn't get to this year is building a loading dock.

In my case, it's a simple idea of choosing a spot on the cut for our drive that's the right height for 1/2-ton or trailer beds. Digging the right width to vertical and putting in a simple retaining wall. A dock would have greatly simplified loading the tractor the several times my dealer's trucker has picked it up. Once the 4wd was out and the weather was wet. Couldn't get enough traction to get up the pipe ramps the trucker uses and had to push the tractor up the ramps backwards with the loader bucket. Of course, having a dock at one end implies a need for one at the other and I guess that's a limitation. I don't have a convenient road cut to use at our camp but I probably could dig a hole for the rear wheels of my 1/2-ton.

Ramp angles become critical especially when loading a backhoe equipped tractor. Once we loaded the tractor and hoe on a 25' lo-boy a trucker friend uses for his dozer. Fortunately it's a 3ph hoe so I could take off the 3ph lock-down and raise the 3ph to get enough clearance for the hoe bucket to get up the ramp. The alternative would have been to dig up the hotel's parking lot and dig a pit for the bucket of go down in. The hotel is more friends but digging up their lot would be pressing things I guess.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login