Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 or 4300

View my Photos
mike L
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-07          36173

Am looking for a compact tractor with approx. 30 HP. Found a dealer with many lease return units. A 790 with 310 hrs, for 10,900 or a 4300 with 300 hrs for 11,700. Both units are 4x4 and excl. cond. (tractor only)How do the prices sound? Also any suggestions on which might be a better choise.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 or 4300

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-08          36180

What do you what to do with the tractor? The 790 is a good tractor mechanically. Its main weakness is its dry brakes. If you are using it to mow or cultivate primarily then this is not a problem. The problem lies if you are using with a FEL and moving earth or doing a lot of blade work. The brakes will wear more than wet brakes. The price is ~$90 per pad (x 4) . I had to replace mine ~ every 100 -150 hrs.
The 4300 has wet brakes but had some problems initially. I would assume these lease models would be over the teething.
I looked at 35hp tractors last year and found two off one year lease with FEL for 14.5K and also had a sun shade. Minus 3K for the loader you are in the same ballpark.
These had the remainer of the waranty. Is there any waranty with the tractors?

790 or 4300

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-03-08          36183

10,900 sounds kinda high for a used 790, I seem to recall they were around that price range brand new. Maybe I'm dreaming again. ....

790 or 4300

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-08          36184

There are two dealers near me that sell what they call 'lease returns'. Both dealers tout these as one or two year old tractors. I have checked several of these tractors and found them to be several years older than described. I even found out through John Deere that one of them had hundreds of hours shaved off the clock. Get the serial numbers and have a reputible John Deere dealer run the history on these machines for you. Most of the 'lease returns' around here have been repainted and have new tires. Why would a one or two year old tractor with 100 hours need a paint job and new tires? ....

790 or 4300

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-08          36185

Mark is right the there is a great differenc in the current list prices of the 2 tractors. The 790 is 11K where the 4300 is 15K. You can compare the tractors with the list prices and accessories on the JD web page. See below. ....

Link:   JD

790 or 4300

View my Photos
jbs

2002-03-08          36192

Thats not a bad price. I just paid $11,400 + tax + shipping for a 1999 JD 4300 12/12SR with 472
hrs. I didn't think that was many hrs for a machine of this quality. Also the quickchange of implements
is worth it.
jbs ....

790 or 4300

View my Photos
mike L

2002-03-08          36197

The tractor will be used for general home maint. of my three acre lot. keeping weeds under control ,etc. Also I need to matain the dirt road to the property.(1500 ft.)It gets quite a lot of washboard chop. I was thinking a 60 inch box should do the trick.As far as the warrenty, both have 9 months parts and labor.I live in the high desert area of so. calif. So we dont get much rain, do you think the box will work with the road dry? I have a 17 hp. tractor with 48in. blade now,the blade just skips along and makes matters worse. HELP!!! ....

790 or 4300

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-09          36205

I think of the 790 as an economy tractor--a sound tractor with a lot of power for the money but few bells 'n whistles. The 4300 is more of a bells 'n whistles tractor. The transmissions might be a case in point. If the 4300 has HST it would be worth more to many people. I think 790's have only gear TX's with two reverse speeds. I like my gears just fine, but I do have four reverse speeds (I work in reverse with both a snow blower and a box scraper). I also do wish for HST sometimes when doing a lot of loader work

I think 4300's had the front axle problem discussed here. A tractor with the old axle should be worth less. Since you're on desert, there's probably not much call for finish mowing and AG tires probably would be the tire of choice. If you aren’t finish mowing, the old axle wouldn’t be a problem but the tractor’s market value may still be affected.

Light duty blades tend to jump around on hard ground because they don't weigh enough. Extra weight can be placed on top of a light blade, but the extra weight does stress increase the stress on a light duty blade. I use a 6' box scraper with my 24 PTO HP tractor and it cuts OK on compacted gravel. There some traction problem with my turf tires, but it’s manageable The scraper weight around 700 lbs.

Over all, the 790 price may be a bit high, but the 4300 price might also be high if it has the old axle. However, a good price has a lot to do with what work it’s required to do. When the work has to be done and what tractors are available in the area at the time.

790 or 4300

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-09          36211

If you need a heavy blade for road grading or if you consider adding extra weight to the blade, keep in mind the fact that the 790 3pt hitch can only lift 800 lbs. The 4300 3pt hitch can lift 2,200 lbs.

790 or 4300

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-10          36228

That's a good point about the 3ph capacities. As with some other tractors, I wonder why a 790's capacity is fairly low for a tractor of the power? Some possibilities are that the hydraulic pump is small and a smaller lift cylinder was used to get acceptable speed. Given the differences in new price, I suppose that 4300 buyers have to get something extra for the higher price.

Assuming the tractors are of similar weight, another possibility is that the 790's weight distribution favours the rear axle. Part of 3ph ratings has to do with safety rather than physical capacity. A tractor with less weight on the front axle makes it easier for a 3ph load to promote wheelies.

Ballast in a loader bucket can improve weight distribution problems. But of course then owners should accept responsibility for using adequate ballast. Too many lawsuits around today for a manufacturer or any individual to recommend that heavier loads can be lifted but ballast must be used to improve stability. The trouble is that ballasting is something of an art. What works when sitting on a level may not be adequate on hills or when hitting a bump.

790 or 4300

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-10          36236

The rear transfer case and trans on the 790 is the same as the 750. The 750 only had 21 hp and 15 PTO. My guess is that all that was upgraded was the engine.
The 750 had problems continuously lifting a 4ft brush cutter. The tractor is quite stout but the lifting power and hydraulic are a little anemic. ....

790 or 4300

View my Photos
mike L

2002-03-13          36318

Well,after much research and help from this board,I think the 790 is out.The lift cap. of the three point is very low compared to the 4300 or even the 4200 for that matter.790 is 815 Lbs,4200 is 1700 LBS,4300 is 2200 Lbs.Also the weight of the 790 is far less. 790 is 2105, 4200 is 2675, 4300 is 2900.Although some on the board felt the price of 11,700 was slightly high for the 4300,comparing this to units listed on machinerylink.com, it seems to be a very good price. so lets see,4200 or 4300 ,OOOHHH DEERE. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login