Go Bottom Go Bottom

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
becky
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-26          34939

I have been looking for a 4100 for use on my small farm and found a 1998 model that had been used at the local schools. It has approx..200hr. Has a loader,hydro,front(unused )blade,heated cab and rear weight attachment.The dealer has gone over it and serviced it but no warranty applies.What would be a good price for it. They are asking $13800. I had been looking for a newer one so I didn't have to worry about repairs. Is there anything about the 1998s I should know about, as far repair problems..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-01-26          34940

sound a bit high, i would say 11-12k .i am told the front axles were an issue , the dask panel foggy up-see if they got those addressed. you may be better off looking at a new 4110. with the 5.9 rate.

chech this

John Deere 4110 Compact Tractor

Features
20 HP Gross (19.5 HP Net) Yanmar 3 Cylinder Diesel Engine
61.4 Cu. In. Displacement
Indirect Fuel Injection-Self Bleeding Fuel System
5.8 Gallon Fuel Tank
Standard 8 Speed Forward-4 Reverse Sliding Gear Transmission
Optional Hydrostatic Transmission Foot Pedal Controlled
4WD Standard
Mid PTO Standard
Differential Lock
Open Center Hydraulic System
Dual Hydraulic Pumps 7.4 GPM Total Capacity
Hydrostatic Models-Independent Mid & Rear PTO
Gear Models-Transmission Driven Mid & Rear PTO
Power Steering
Cat I Three Point Hitch
Bar, Industrial or Turf Tires

4110 Gear Bar Tires $10,788.00
4110 Hydrostatic Bar Tires $12,021.00
Dual Selective Control Hydraulic Valve Add $560.00
Folding Roll Bar Add $129.00
R4 Industrial Tires Add $172.00
R3 Turf Tires Add $135.00
iMatch Quick Hitch Add $185.00

uou could add a loader for 2500. ..i bet you could get the new one for the same kind of money they are asking ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-26          34941

Becky,
I heard of a limited number of 4100 hydro transmissions failing, a J/D mechanic told me about them. Don't know if that is an issue. I traded one in 2000 with 170 hrs on it with no problems showing. I was allowed $12500 at the time and that was by a non-Deere dealer, the J/D allowance was less. My maching was new in appearance, but lacked the heated cab and front blade. It did have the J/D belly mower, you did not mention one (do the math). I would probably go to the school and talk to the maintenance shop people, they could give you a heads-up on the use/abuse factor, but 200hrs isn't much time to tear up a tractor. One thing I can say, if I had it to do over, I would have purchased the 855 or 955 instead. More HP and tougher machine, machines that have certainly proven themselves over time. Hope this helps! ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-26          34951

I never knew you could put a heated cab on a 4100 so I don't know how to value that option, so with that said I wouldn't be surprised if a new tractor with similar equiptment would cost $16,000 plus. I would find out what they used the tractor for at the school and are they getting rid of it because they asked too much of it. If they just used it to keep the sidewalks clear in the winter you might have a gem here. Another thing to consider, unless you plan on paying cash, a bank or credit union might want 20 percent or more down payment and then might finance it at 8 percect or more and limit the loan to 3 or 4 years. Deere has in the past offered very low interest rates on new machines with "0" down. In other words, check your options, you could end up with more initial cash outlay and higher monthly payments on a used machine. Good luck, whatever decision you make, I know you will have fun with your tractor. Keep us posted on you progress. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Becky

2002-01-27          34990

Sorry-this price included new 60in belly mower-wasn't one on it. They must not have been mowing with it.I believe they were using it for landscraping. They traded it in on a skid loader. The axles issue ? Is that something I could see? Also ,what is the dask? Windshield? Also has bar tires on it. I think these are too extreme for mowing my lawn and pasture.May have them replace with ind.tires.If I bought it and decided to sell cab, is that something that would sell and how much is it worth? The blade that comes with it has never been used. On another issue---I have a older Ford Jubelee to sell.The Engine has been rebuilt in 1994,has one new rear tire, runs good and repainted in 95.Brakes and rear axles serviced last year .Battery replaced ,and tune up was done last year.How much is it worth? ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
larry

2002-01-27          34995

Hi
I think the fellow meant"dash" not "dask"
Sounds like you have stumbled on to a good one ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-27          34996

Becky, those old Jubilees are so dependent on condition when you're looking to value them. I see them from $1,200 to $3,000 around here. You might try MachineryLink for some info or the Yesterday's Tractors board. ....

Link:   MachineryLink

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-27          35008

Boy, the package keeps getting bigger and the price better. I have never heard of any axle problems on this model, remember the 4100 is made in Japan and does not share major components with the rest of the 4000 series. As far as the tires, it was far cheaper for me to replace the bar tires with car and truck tires and they are working very well for me. I did some calculations to get the right sizes to retain the same ratios as the factory tires. If you are interested I will give you the sizes. As far as the cab price, maybe the best way to determine its value might be to look up the current full retail and ask about 70-80 percent of that price. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2002-01-27          35015

Becky, apparently I can't put two links in one message. Here's the link to the Yesterday's Tractors website. I hope these help. Good luck. ....

Link:   

Click Here

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Becky

2002-01-27          35018

Thanks guys for all the info-Helped a lot!! ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-28          35031

If you get the 4100 and mount the belly mower you may need to install a different size transmission filter, check with the dealer. And let us know how things turn out. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Becky

2002-01-28          35040

Drove it today.Everything works.Had him show me how to disconnect loader. Easy!! I don't like the ag tires though.They want $1250 for new set of ind.tires and rims. Seems hi to me. Anyone need a set of ag tires and rims---Good condition? I talked to the school maintenance dept,too. They said they only used the tracter to move snow and gravel.Very minimal use. The speedometer cable was twisted so the meter only says 5hrs(JD fixed it.)They said the only reason they didn't like it is because it was too unstable with the ag tires with the bucket loaded.I told them I would buy it, but had to think about the tires,yet. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-01-28          35047

Becky, a 4100 is going to seem very unstable with the FEL compared to your old Ford no matter which tires you have on it. They're very nice little tractors, but they're pretty light and easy to turn over. Just go slow and easy to start with and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-28          35057

I think my total cost to replace my ag tires was about $195 and that included filling them with calcium and water. ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
bECKY

2002-01-29          35062

Mark
send info on tires to eqine2@aol.com,please.did that include wider rims too ....

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
J MALLOY

2002-03-29          36834

Becky:

It the heated cab a Curtis Cab. Value of cab would depend upon wheter it is a soft or hard sided cab. You could probably figure about $3,000. Curtis Cab has a web site.

J. Malloy

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-03-29          36848

Re: Tires

Mark, did you replace your tires with Turfs or Bar Turfs or Industrials?

Becky, if your going to replace yours, you might want to consider Bar Turfs over standard turf.

The Bar Turfs are on the rear in the linked picture. ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors buying 1998 4100 info

buying 1998 4100 info

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-03-29          36854

I have radial mud and snow truck tires on the rear (245/75-16's) and all season radials (145/12) on the front. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login