Go Bottom Go Bottom

Want to purchase a John Deere 4200

View my Photos
Ron L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-05          33670

I am interested in purchasing a new John Deere 4200(2 wheel drive, Hydro trans., mid-PTO,
turf tires). The price quote I receved from the dealer was $ 15,522.
This seems high to me--however I know next to nothing about tractors.
What should I expect to pay?

If I were to consider a KUBOTA instead of the John Deere, what model would I consider and what
price range?

I plan to use the tractor with a mid-mount 60" mower(quoted at $3620) for grass cutting .
I have about 6 acres to cut.

I'd appreciate any information on the above questions.

Thanks,
Ron L.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Don M

2001-12-05          33671

My opinion is that you are buying a bigger machine than is needed for a 60" mower. If I was mowing 6 acres, I'd be looking at a 72" mower, minimum. I think the 4200 is the minimum in the Deere line for 72", in a belly mower.

If you want a 60" mower, you can look at the 400 series Deere garden tractors, or their 4100. The Kubota BX would be another good 60" machine.

-Don M ....

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-12-06          33680

I use a JD 935 with a 72 inch cut for the same area you are looking at. I have lots of trees "Orchard" that helped make my choice! I was going to get a tractor to cut my yard... but it wouldn't be the same trying to cut around 200 trees with a tractor so last year was a yard cutter... next year a real tractor! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-06          33681

A couple of things to consider: The prices of the big 3 (or 4) tend to be very similar for comparable machines, and so are the performances. They all are good machines. It's often a bunch of small factors that taken together appeal to different people. One approach is to ignore the specs. They often are just confusing. Basically, all tractors of similar power do about the same work and have about the same maneuverability. There's a good chance that the tractor a person likes best ends up being the best tractor for them. A person won't know that without trying a few. Sometimes, a tractor just isn't comfortable or the controls aren't convenient for an individual, and then the choice is obvious. It’s easy to get ‘branded’ without even knowing it.

The main choices are how much power, which type of tire and HST or not. I left out 4wd a choice because I consider 4wd almost an essential in a compact. However, there are some features such as NH Super Steer that are worth considering if special operational requirements exist. The main thing is to get something that is liked (REALLY LIKED!) because it's going to cost a lot and going be around for many years. Within all of this, if JD is the one that appeals, it's worth keeping track of the new model introductions. There might be some discounted prices on the older models.

Don's comment about the 72" vs. the 60" mower is about the choice of power. The question really is how fast you want to finish a job in other words, how wide are the implements are going to be. Wide implements usually are quicker, unless there's a lot of maneuvering to do, and wide implements require more power. It's worth noting that for finish mowing, more power also means a heavier tractor and more tire tracks in the lawn. It's also worth noting that more power means more trimming to do around landscaping and more time taken in turns. For large heavily landscaped yards, it's possible that a small tractor would be quicker.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-06          33686

If your object is to cut lawns only then a front mounted mower unit will cut the lawn quicker and allow closer trimming around trees.
I have ~ 3 acres in lawn and it takes me ~ 2.5-3 hours to cut. I have a number of trees. This does not include trimming. I am also seeded in Centipee thereFore I don't need to cut too often, but this will give you an idea of the time with a HST tractor and 60" mower. ....

View my Photos
warren

2001-12-06          33687

My rule of thum is too buy at least the next size up in tractor.Example if the company recomends a 4100 to mow with a 50 inch deck i would get a 4200 at least.This way you don't work the engine so hard. This is just a suggestoin what I do.Think your equipment lasts longer. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-07          33693

I tend to think the 'next step' up is a good idea as well, but my reason is that tractors are around for a long time and you're never certain of everything you're going to want them to do. Most differences between small and large is how long a job takes, but there are some operations where lack of power or size will stop you cold. I bought the size tractor I did because I needed to trench to a minimum depth. A smaller tractor wouldn't handle a big enough hoe.

The tractor is sort of medium sized for most work I do, and the size does slow me down for some things. However, I still remember the 6" concrete slab the loader wouldn't get off the ground. The smaller the tractor, the more things there are that'll stop you cold. On the other hand, my tractor is one step smaller than recommended for my box scraper. I manage the traction problems, and I guess wear and tear too, by going slower, taking smaller bites and extra ballast. There's a bunch of ways of using an implement that is slightly over-sized for a tractor, but having more power is maybe the easiest. Of course, there are places a big tractor can't get to, and that'll stop you cold too. I'm not sure where the tally sheet between 'can't do' and 'can't get to it' stands for me. If I've got the right tractor, it should balance out, and I think it does. What I wanted to avoid is having a tractor that’s real good for one job but still leaves me paying people or using something else frequently for other work. A tractor costs a lot of money, and my object is to keep it pretty busy.

For similar reasons, and some safety things too, I’d get a 4wd, even if the intended use is finish mowing of flat ground. This summer I had a surprising example, of how little tractor there is in 2wd with turf tires when going downhill without a lot of weight on the 3ph. Going downhill tends to unload the rear tires.

View my Photos
bandit

2001-12-07          33698

The price is way too high. I just bought a $WD with loader for 15750.00 The belly mower (60) is only 2400.00 ....

View my Photos
Ron L.

2001-12-07          33699

I would like to thank each of the individuals who responded to my questions. It was very generous
of you to take the time. Your information will be very useful as I go about making a decision.
I would like to know from Bandit ---where the tractor was purchased and any other pricing
information you would be willing to share.

Thanks,
Ron L. ....

View my Photos
bandit

2001-12-07          33700

Ron,
I bought the tractor today from Corrither Tractor Co, Lenoir, NC 828-758-5506. leonard Barnett.
They were $1200 below any dealer. I advise anyone that is looking for a JD to contact him. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-08          33705

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. I believe that if my rule of buying a tractor that is REALLY liked is followed, then there's no reason to second guess the choice. All tractors sort of evolve into the lives of their owners, and any machine will find more and more work. Almost anything purchased will end up as useful. So, the one bought is the right choice. My congrats to purchasers of new tractors out there. You most likely got the best tractors for yourselves and now the business can be gotten down to finding out how much the tractor will do for you.

The devil's advocate thing is: If it's only mowing, then why not just get a garden tractor or riding mower. Some have pretty wide decks, and even belt drives provide enough traction for mowing. A lot of money is paid for the hydraulics, frame and drive on a tractor, and these features are seriously under-utilized for finish mowing. A pull mower doesn't even need a PTO. A person may not really like a riding mower so much, but they may REALLY like the price after looking at tractors.

My point here is that tractors are sometimes called 'portable power sources.' They are generalist and mobile machines and you pay a lot for that capability. Mowing is a specialized task, and if that's the only job, a specialized machine probably can do the job better and cheaper than a generalist tractor. So, my notion is to try to think of everything possible that a tractor might do and then get one that’s a 'best compromise' in size and power. Even so, tractors may be generalists, but still, one size doesn't fit all. In my case, I went for the middle-sized jobs. I contract out the heavier stuff, and I use a 36" riding mower for our two 1-acre pieces of finish mowing. I never bought a mower because I know I can do the mowing faster with the riding mower than all the maneuvering around it would take with my Ford 1710.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-08          33712

Unlike Tom I sold the lawn tractor as it was not getting much use. I was also shocked when I bought my new fiinish mower that the new JD fiinish mowers were not far from the price I paid for my tractor, FEL and mower. The capabilities and versatility of the tractor far out strip the lawn tractor but the cut is not equivalent to a garden tractor.
When you have that may acres cut not one looks that close, besides I still think that mowing is a waste of fuel and time. As I have stated before If I could get the horses trained to provide an even cut I would fence the front section for them too. May be geese?
For speed, finish and trim the front mowers are much better than what I can do, but they are only good for one task. My tractor spends less than 20% of the time put on the clock in a year mowing. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-09          33715

Yep, I don't spend a lot of time on my riding mower either. If my wife had her way, she'd let the entire lawn go back to meadow. The main reason for lawn cutting here is to keep the bugs down so you can sit outside--at least sometimes. We get a steady process of various bug plagues from spring to fall. It seems like half the stinging bugs known to man come here. Even my wife will trade her wild flowers for sitting outside sometimes.

Yesterday I saw just the thing for Peters (BTW I never ate the pigtails either). A store/yard-sale up the highway is selling their sickle bar mower. It was originally used behind a horse, and it has a seat and controls behind the bar. The guy made a few modifications and has pulled it with his tractor for years. Guess he's selling it because sometimes it's just easier and more interesting to let the bush do what ever it's going to do. So, with the sickle bar mower, one could have it both ways--horse or tractor. Don't imagine the quality of the cut would do much for a lawn though.

Originally, the mower would have cut the hay the horse ate. In between times, the horse probably would have skidded logs. That’s how most fields and horses in this area came to be. There’s still one guy who keeps a team for skidding. Some people want to be able to do some small scale logging without cutting skider trails through their bush. The horses get the log to the nearest old logging road where a tractor or skider can pick them up. As a way to recover from my digression, I guess I’ve got to say that horses are very gentle on the bush, but I don’t suppose they’d do a lawn any good.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login