Go Bottom Go Bottom

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-20          33297

My husband and I are going to look at a 1990 JD 1070. It has a front end loader (not sure what kind), power steering, 32hp, diesel, mid & rear pto, locking differential and new bar tires on the rear. It also has a 3 speed gear box and 1800 hours on the engine. The engine just had routine maintenance completed on it. The person is asking $5500. Is this a good price if everything works well and looks good?

He also has a 6 foot mid belly mower he is willing to work into the deal. What would that be worth?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-11-20          33298

Yes, that does sound like a good deal, especially if it is 4wd.
Dont be fooled by "routine maintenance" unless the seller is your mom.
If it is only 2wd you might be dissappointed with performance depending
on what you would like to do with it.

A dealer would want at least $9000 for same tractor.

don't go more than $500 on mmm if it is apparently used.

Signs of abuse on this tractor are bent footsteps, dinged front driveshaft
guard,sloppy loader attachment points, bent-up bucket, and bent rims....my
tractor has all of these :) ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-21          33312

Well, it is a 2WD. We will be using it primarily for mowing and moving manure & hay around. Might do a little land clearing if it works out.

We are going to look at it on Friday. We will look for the signs you mentioned.

Thanks for the help. We'll let you know if we get it.

Leslie

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-21          33319

Yes, that is a good price. Too bad it isn't a 4wd, but that would really be asking too much at that price. The 1070 is a large enough compact that it will be able to do good work in 2wd. With a little weight and some chains for really sloppy conditions it should be just about unstoppable. I hope it runs out well, you aren't likely to find many that are priced so fairly. As for condition....unlike cars, tractors don't seem to fail all of a sudden. Like most industrial machines they just wear constantly over time. However it runs and works when you try it is very much like it can be expected to run for a long time. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-22          33333

The tractor probably has enough capacity, but you might want to ensure that it can manage what-ever sized hay bales you use. The reason the previous owner of my 24-hp tractor traded it was that it couldn't handle the bales he was getting. I don't imagine with a tractor that size that the 3ph would have a problem (although I wonder how much some the huge bales I see going past here on flat-bed transports weigh). I believe that some people like to handle bales with spears on a loader. I think some of the larger bales may give loaders on that sized tractor problems. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-26          33435

We went and saw it and it appears to be in really good shape. There is only minor rust and that is only topical. The front end loader is a model 80. All the hydrolics seemed to work fine as well as both PTO's. We could not see anything leaking when they were in use. The gentlemen hooked up a box grader to the 3 point hitch so we could see that work. It was very smooth. You can see the new hoses he just had replaced also. There is no real body damage to speak of. I think the hood had a little crack in it and the bucket had a slight indentation along the edge. My husband drove it around some and played with the loader. He is very pleased. The gentlemen will be delivering it in about 10 days.

Does anyone know where we can get an operating manual.lol

Thanks for the help ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-26          33436

Tom, we only get square bails of hay. The storage works easier for us and we only get about 20 a month. We only have 6 goats to feed it to. : ) This should work fine for that. As far as the ground goes it is pretty solid. We are on a high sand hill. Doesn't usually get to sloppy. We are fortunate there.

Leslie ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-26          33452

Congratulations! You know you can get the manuals from JD. You ought to have them before the tractor arrives. Surprised it doesn't come with one. Another source is Ebay - where manuals come up for sale fairly often. In the meanwhile, I can answer questions by referring to my own 1070 manual. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-27          33455

Me too--congrats. Sounds like a pretty good find. I remember square bales pretty well. My cousin used to complain bitterly that his brother made the bales too large and then expected us to fling them up five or six courses high on top his low-boy trailer. But anyway, you could fling those bales around with hay hooks, unlike the oversized bales seen today. I also remember old round bales and walking behind the baler tying the bales as they came off. I forget what we complained about then--hot and miserable probably.

I hear goats don't eat much, but they are picky. Six bales a month (alfalfa I guess) won't challenge the tractor much. The question maybe will never come up, but I'll mention that when I got my Ford 1710, I discovered that the loader float circuit was on the bucket rather than the lift. I thought somebody just got it backwards, but later I found that loaders used in haying are sometimes setup that way. I think the idea is that using bale spears on a loader to stack the bales has a problem of releasing the spears. There’s a tendency to drag a bale back off the stack unless the bucket angle is just right. A floated bucket tends to release the spears easier. Guess the square bales also make a good place for the goats to stand on.

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-27          33466

Oh, thanks a bunch. You may be hearing from me. I've got to get my husband on here.lol Our computer is down at home right now and he can't get on at work. Be on soon. :)

Leslie ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-27          33467

Tom, don't have a clue what a loader float circuit is but I'm sure my husband will find out.lol I am curious now to see wether it is on the loader assembly or not.

Leslie

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-28          33484

Ops; sorry for the jargon. If neither of you have been around equipment much, you may not know about floats on loaders. Loaders didn't become real common on tractors until sometime in the '80's, so a person could be a farmer and still never have used a loader. I'll comment about floats because I dug quite a few divots grading the drive and at the bottom of piles of gravel before I figured it out.

Loader controls ordinarily move the bucket up or down or back and forth. In most modern loaders these are powered rather than gravity movements. When the controls are centred, the bucket stays put. Float is a feature normally on the lift control. If the control arm is pushed all the way forward, it goes into a 'click' and stay there. This is the float position. In float, the bucket is not powered and will lower to the ground. It is held down only by the weight of the bucket and load and is free to move up or down. Float is used to allow the bucket to follow the ground contour. Without float, the trouble with using a loader for things like grading is that when the back tractor wheels go over a bump, the front end lowers and the bucket digs in, creating my divots. The reverse also happens.

The reason I mentioned the float is the comment about hay. Float is almost always found on the bucket lift, because that is where it is most useful for typical loader work. The float on mine was on the bucket roll-back (or curl), which I first thought was a mistake and then found out that the tractor was mostly used for moving around bales. Float on the curl is more useful to some people on a loader that is equipped with bale spears. Actually, changing float from the lift to the curl is just a matter of swapping two pairs of hoses and is very easy on most loaders. Of course, this subject becomes an issue only if the tractor would be spending a lot of time moving bales. Hope you and your husband enjoy the tractor and use this board for information if you're just getting used to tractors.

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-28          33493

Tom, thanks for the info. I'm going to forward it to hubby. Be glad when we get back on line at home.lol

We are rookies in the tractor field so you can bet we'll be out here.

I called the fellow that we are purchasing the tractor from so I could get the serial number and order a owners manual. He told me that he ordered us one that morning. Thought that was really nice of him. He wasn't sure what happened to the original one. Since I got the serial number I went ahead and called JD and ordered a service manual and a parts manual. Thought they would make a nice x-mas gift for hubby. They said they should both ship withiin a week.

I'm going to tell my brother-in-law about this site too. He is the tractor collector in the family.

Leslie ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-11-28          33496

Leslie, in my opinion, that's about the smartest thing you can do to learn all about your tractor; get all three manuals, operator, service, and parts. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Farmgirl

2001-11-28          33499

Bird, the lady that I talked to at JD said that there is also 1 more book that we may want to get. It is for the diesel engine. I figure we've got enough to keep us busy for a while and will pick it up later. I really like the option of just calling them and presto you get what you want.

The fellow that we are getting the tractor from said with his other tractor he has when he has to do work on it he request the schematics for whatever he is working on. No problem they send it right to him. He now has a file with the drawings. That could be a big help too. My husband is an engineer and loves that kind of stuff.lol

Leslie ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-11-28          33503

Leslie, I'm not as familiar with the John Deere manuals as I am with the Kubota manuals. The three already mentioned pretty well cover everything on the Kubota, but the Deere may have a separate engine manual. I do know that unlike automobiles, the "Workshp Manual" for the Kubotas, while pretty good, really needs the parts manual to go along with it (exploded views of the parts and how they fit together). I guess I'm just slow enough that I need the detailed, printed instructions with everything, and it really helps if they have pictures, too. :-) ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-28          33505

Bird, I have owner, parts, and service manuals for several of JD's compacts....The 855 thru 1070 series mostly... There just isn't any better way to learn about a mechanical system than to buy those books. I might as well admit that I am something of a literary motorhead, and actually prefer technical service bulletins to comic books. Other series of books in my library include most all the Yanmars, some large JDs, a few Kubota, Massey Harris, Massey Ferguson, Ford and some Eastern European makes.....So I feel like I am qualified to at least compare the ones that I have. Like you, I think that a good parts book is more helpful than most shop/service manuals. Though the shop manuals do give the specs and wear limits. IMHO, first prize for literature goes to any of the regular JD farm tractors from about 1950 to 1970. JD would publish complete separate manuals for the different systems. Power steering, the 3pt lift, the electrics, fuel delivery...etc... The best of those shop manuals had a section on theory, a tutorial, and then the shop methods. Unfortunately, the manuals for the compact JDs are not nearly so well done.... Still, they are all worth having. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-29          33513

Yes to comments about manuals, and I think I'll order a parts manual for myself as well. The exploded diagrams in my NH repair manual aren't always complete or even there. I find that factory repair manuals really aren't very instructional. They're mostly for trained professional mechanics. The manuals are necessary for their specs and testing procedures. However, I think they are most useful to typical owners for their assembly/disassembly procedures. Sometimes you can give yourself a very bad time if things aren't taken off in the right order, or an injector pump is removed without making an index mark etc.. These procedures tend to be specific to a tractor and all the background and training in the world won't make up for not having a manual.

Can't say I've ever been a pro, even if I did make some money fixing mostly motorcycles. I can fight my way through a repair manual most times. However, I got most of my learning specific to tractors here, and other boards to a lesser extent. Thanks to all the folks who know who they are. I don't know if manuals from places like SSB and ytmag are any more instructive than factor manuals, but they might be worth a shot. Still this is about the best place I can think of to gain the basics of tractor operation, tinkering and safety

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-11-29          33514

Roger, I try to get all the manuals for anything I own, but then if or when I sell or trade it off, I let the manuals go with it, so for the most part, I only have the manuals for what I currently own. Sounds like you have a pretty good library. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-29          33517

Yes, its a pretty good - though small - library. I seem to be afflicted with curiousity beyond the norm. At one time my wife and I calculated that we were spending more on books than on food. Yes, it is a matter of principle that the manuals always go with a machine when I sell it, though it is a sore blow to my collection.... Some manuals are obtained through farm literature dealers and recently through Ebay.
I would like to get some more on Kubota. My library is not well represented there. I must have gotten the wrong model manuals. The few that I have are distinctily second rate - the information is sketchy, line drawings are elementary with few if any exploded views, and the paper is a pulp type which yellows easily. Because of that I haven't given Kubota the attention that I should. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me which Kubota model manuals are particularly well done. ....

1990 1070 JD

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-11-29          33519

Roger, I haven't looked at enough of the different Kubota manuals to tell you which are done best. When I had the B7100, I didn't get Kubota's manuals (a mistake), but bought an aftermarket manual that was not very good (best part was that it was cheap to buy). But I bought the "Workshop Manual" and the "Illustrated Parts List" from Kubota for my B2710 and they're pretty good together. The workshop manual is loose leaf (3-ring binder) and the parts list is a bound book, but punched for a 3-ring binder. I didn't know when I ordered them that they also sell a binder, so I just bought one at Wal-mart instead. Together, with the "Operator's Manual", they just fit into an inch and a half binder. I have a separate binder for the owner's manual and shop manual for the front end loader. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login