Go Bottom Go Bottom

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Bill M.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-17          33256

I just bought a J.D. 4100 Hyd. (2000 yr. model) with matching J.D. 410 loader and industrial tires. The tractor only has 15 hours on it and is very clean. It was priced at $12,500 and I bought it for $12,000. A J.D. dealer was selling it for an individual. It still has warranty left. Does this price seem about right? I think a new one would have been $14,000 or more. Also, will this 4100 handle my 4 ft. King Kutter brush cutter okay? I have been somewhat concerned that the cutter may be a little heavy. Responses will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Don M

2001-11-18          33260

I do not know a lot about the price but it sounds very fair. As to the cutter, it is the right size for the 4100. It is the size that JD recommends.

-Don M ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Mike Yager

2001-11-21          33310

This seems like a fair price to me. A year ago I bought a 2001 model 4100 with 410 loader, turf tires and 60 inch belly mower. I paid a bit over $16K. The belly mower and turf tires add close to $3K so $12K without seems very reasonable since it is practically brand new. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Bill M.

2001-11-21          33323

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming your tractor is the HST transmission model. Have you been happy with the tractor? I'm a little concerned about the HST. I really would have preferred a gear tractor. With some weight in the loader, the tractor does not want to back up when in "High" range. I'm not sure why that is. But maybe when using the loader I should always be in low range. It does okay in reverse while using low range. Have you experienced anythng like this? ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-11-22          33325

Bill, you say it doesn't want to back up in high range with a load in the bucket? I wouldn't attribute that to the HST. If you'd bought a geared tractor instead, it probably wouldn't have wanted to back up in the highest gear either with a heavy load. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Bill M.

2001-11-22          33336

I'm sure you are correct. After I sent that message, I read the appropriate section of the manual and found that for nearly any work, the tractor should be in Low-range. I'm sure that will solve the problem. I also have a Kubota 7200 gear tractor and I'm used to the positive control that comes with the clutch and gears. The Kubota's low range is very slow and I expected the J.D. to be the same, but have found that it is very good in that departent. The J.D. low range seems useful for about any work. I'll get used to it.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving! ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Mike Yager

2001-11-26          33432

For really heavy loads, the tractor will strain in High. Low works well and I find generally gives me better control for Loader work.

I have used Gear tractors and they can't beat an HST for Loader work. Its really easy and quick just operating those two pedals without the constant shifting. I think you will come to like the HST very much for Loader work. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Bill M.

2001-11-26          33449

After using the tractor over the weekend I have few worries about it. It actually does better in all aspects than I expected. I'm already sold on the HST. Using low range for any work seems to be the answer. Its a fine little machine. My only problem now is not having enough time to use it. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2001-12-03          33633

This has pretty much been covered, but here's my 2 centsworth. I agree for any work, low range in the HST should be used. High range is useful only for moving the tractor. However, I did use high range for snow removal on an asphalt road last year, but the snow was only about 2" deep at the time. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Greg K

2001-12-29          34128

I have the 4 ft King Kutter rear discharge finish mower for the 4100 so I know it works fine. And your price was not good it was great. A very, very good deal.
Do not make the mistake and put alot of load when in high gear. The dealer told me high is just for going from point A to point B fast. Low is the gear for work. HST transmissions are great but I understand you don't want to pay for a replacement or repair. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Norm Spidell

2003-01-11          47358

Final stages of purchasing a 4100. I has the 410 loader, a blade and snowblower. It is gear driven. I wonder if this tractor can handle two feet of snow? Does gear driven on this model mean two ranges and several gears in each range? It has 45 hours on it. It is 4 X 4. Firm price at $12,900.
Norm ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
jyoutz

2003-01-12          47380

Norm, I have the same tractor with gear transmission. I don't have a snow blower, but move snow with my loader and a 5' rear blade. I can handle 2' of snow but it does take some time to move that much around. I have R4 tires and with 2' of snow, I really should be using tire chains to maintain traction. But we don't get alot of 2 foot snows, so I muddle through. The gear tranny does not have a dual stage clutch, so your snow blower will stop when you engage the clutch. So be sure to only stop in cleared areas, otherwise your chute will clog with snow. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-12          47389

To your question about the transmission: The 4100 Gear has a 4 speed transmission and a high and low range.

The net result is a total of eight forward and four reverse speeds.

8th gear (4 high) is pretty much a road gear with a top speed of 12 mph and 1st (1 low) grunts along at about 1/2 mph at top rpm, so you will not use that much either.

I have used 1 low to drive up the front steps with a load of firewood in the FEL, but since I finally got some brush cut down I don't have to drive up the steps any more.

As I am sure you know, you will be able to start in any gear you choose and you will choose the gear based on the anticipated ground speed and work conditions. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-12          47390

Norm, where are you located? ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Stan

2003-01-12          47391

Mark -
I get the 8 forward, but isn't that only 2 reverse? ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-12          47392

Nope, four reverse speeds: 0.6, 1.2, 2.6, and 5.9 mph at max rated rpm's. ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Stan

2003-01-12          47401

Thanks for setting me straight Mark. Now I'll have to stop by the JD dealer and see how its set up. Darn, "FORCED" to go to a tractor store... ;) ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
Jim Frederick

2003-02-22          49777

I've used a 4100 the last year on my 5 acres, tilling, mowing, pulling trailer, pushing snow with a 6 ft. blade, etc. It has turf tires and hydro. I've found it to be a very versatile tractor but a little light weight, especially pushing snow. The machine only weighs about 1,550 pounds. Are you certain this is enough tractor for your needs? ....

J D 4100 price

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-23          49854

Jim, how much rear ballast do you carry when you are pushing snow with the 6 foot front blade? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login