Go Bottom Go Bottom

Just about to buy a JD990

View my Photos
Bernd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-23          31240

I'm about to buy a new JD990 with 4WD and SCV. The dealership is quoting me $17,750 for the tractor, a 430 loader and a 613 cutter (excl. tax). Is this reasonable or do I need to have another talk with sales guy? Any info is greatly appreciated...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-08-24          31253

Bernd,

In 1993 I bought my jd 970 4wd with 80 loader for $17,700 without any extras.
After I got his price he told me not to tell any other dealers what he quoted me because he didnt want any interdealer whining, I thought he was kidding! So I did see if anybody would beat the price nobody couldn't, so I went back and he cried to me that one of the dealers did call him and ask why he was selling so low! But later I did find out I got the smaller of two r-1 tire size options (cheaper). What tires did you get? its a great deal no matter which ones plus you have 6 more ponies than mine and a couple of other improvements.

If you didn't like that reply try this-

Bernd,

that is a terrible price for a horrible tractor! ...By the way where is this dealer? ....

View my Photos
Stephen R. Cebenko

2001-08-24          31255

I really like the 990, just wish it had the folding ROPs. I was quoted around $20,000 for the tractor and FEL a couple of months ago. At that price would buy it, but always check around. ....

View my Photos
Bernd

2001-08-24          31257

Steve, Stephen,

Thanks for the advise. Don't know if there are different size AG tires. Their brochure doesn't list any. Are you thinking of those 'industrial' tires? Those are wider but the tread is different.
FYI...the dealer is AG-Power in McKinney, TX. ....

View my Photos
RON M

2001-08-24          31260

I was given a price of $17,400 for a JD790 with loader and a Woods 72" rear discharge mower. It sounds like the price you got was very good. I did not get the 613. ....

View my Photos
RON M

2001-08-24          31261

Check on the 430 loader. My understanding is that the 430 is for the 990, not the 790. The cost difference between the 70 FEL and the 430 FEL could be why you were quoted $17,700. I would think that the Woods rear discharge mower that I was quoted is more money than Deere's 613. I belive that I was quoted around $2,500 on the Woods. ....

View my Photos
Bernd

2001-08-24          31262

Ron,

the $17,750 they quoted me was for the 990, the 430 and the 613, they even gave it to me in writing. That woods mower sure sounds expensive. Is this a finish mower or a light/medium rotary cutter like the 613?

Thanks ....

View my Photos
RON M

2001-08-24          31265

Sorry. I feel like an idiot!!! I didn't see the 990 in your original posting. I read it to be 790. I think that maybe I need new glasses!!!! That sounds like a great price for a 990. The Woods mower is a finishing mower. I looked at different brands and the Woods seem to have the thickest metal and best weld seems. I know someone who has a Woods mower and they said that I will not need to buy another one ever again. I hope so for the amount of money it will cost me. What are you cutting with your 613? My field is mainly heavy clover and hay type material. A little brush on the side. I'm concerned with the cut. It was suggested that I go with a finishing but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go. I'd really appreciate your advice and input. The John Deere dealer told me that John Deere will be buying Woods finishing mowers and painting them green in order to have a rear discharge finishing mower. The 790 with 70 FEL was quoted to me for $14,900.00. ....

View my Photos
Bernd

2001-08-24          31266

Ron,

my place is mostly grass (a good portion of it being that nasty Johnson grass we have here in Texas) plus a bunch of weeds, some light brush here and there. The folks at JD said that for a mixed use and if I don't look for a perfect, lawn-like, cut I would be better of with a cutter instead of a finish mower.
Another plus of a cutter, as far as I can tell, here in Texas the stuff grows like crazy during spring and a finish mower will have a hard time cutting and shredding man-high weeds and light brush. ....

View my Photos
Bernd

2001-08-27          31318

Just signed the paperwork. My 990 will be delivered next Saturday. Came in slightly higher at $18,050. The sales guy talked me into getting a slip clutch and a blade pan for the cutter. Sounds like a good investment anyway. Thanks everybody for all the info.... ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-08-27          31326

a suggestion or two: make sure you recieve the tractor with rear wheels set to the widest spacing possible call them now before they assemble at dealer (70 series tractors used to be crated to the dealer, maybe not any more). and consider rear ballast liquid if you havent yet. have fun ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login