Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deere 990 versus Deere 3720

View my Photos
pres89
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-29          151794

I'm open to hear suggestions. I've got 13 acres of moderate hills used to graze horses. I'll be mainly rolling them in the spring, rotary cutting as needed, spreading lime, misc front loading, etc. Question 1: Any thoughts as to how much power I need? Question 2: After talking with the Deere dealer, I'm torn btwn the 990 at 40 hsp and the 3720 at 44 hsp. Is there really that big of difference? Right now I'm using an old Long 63 hsp and its too big for the "small" jobs around the barn - front loading, maneuvering, etc. I'd like to down size, but, like question 1, how small can I go?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-29          151798

I'm thinking as long as you have 25 or so pto hp you'll be fine. If you're keeping the Long you can go even smaller. Unless you're moving large bales - are you? ....

View my Photos
pres89

2008-03-01          151806

Sorry i didn't respond last night. Got about 8 inches of snow here in western Pa and had to take care of the driveway/road. Anyway, thanks for responding! I'll either trade in or sell outright the Long. Its in good shape, but too cumbersome for what I need. I'm not moving anything large either, sawdust, manure, etc, and we don't use the large bales. My only concerns are having enough power for the hills and if there really isn't that big of a difference btwn the 990 and 3720, I may get the 990 to save a few bucks. Do you have any experience with either of these? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-01          151810

No experience with either. We've got big hills here and my 32hp JD 4310 will pull a 3500 lb. chipper up the hills and rotary cut the hillside without a problem. Does the 990 have dry brakes? It's little brother 790 does. That would be the only downside I would know of, and it's not a big deal. The 990 would be simpler and probably more reliable (bells and whistles add more stuff to break, wires and connections that can go bad, etc). I like the bells and whistles but there's a lot to be said for simple reliability. ....

View my Photos
pres89

2008-03-01          151813

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the tried and true 990 and if your 4310 does the same chores I need done, I think I'm looking in the right direction. The only thing I like about the 3720 over the 990 is the mid PTO. Doubt if I will ever use a snow thrower or mid mount mower on it so I'm thinking the 990 would be ok. The whole hydrostatic thing doesn't impress me as I like the gears anyway. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-03-01          151814

The 990 is an EXCELLENT bullet proof design tractor. No bells or whistles, just damn good SHTF tractor. It is built by Yanmar for John Deere as is the 790. Both a nice simple design straight forward gearshift tractors. I think you will be very satisfied with it unless you looking for the bells and whistles like eHydro and all the other electronic stuff. It is nice when it works but a pain in the rear when it goes on the blink. ....

View my Photos
pres89

2008-03-01          151815

Thanks for the reply. Do you agree with the other poster that I'm good with about 40 hsp for what I need? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-03-01          151817

When you say "rolling" do you mean round baling? Depending upon the round baler, you may need more than 40 hp. Aside from that. I would say 40 hp should do fine. I take care of a very large acreage with my 35 hp 4410. ....

View my Photos
pres89

2008-03-01          151819

We don't use the big rolls of hay. We stay with the regular 20 lb bales. Since I have a full time job, they are easier for my wife - who operates the stable business - to deal with. I grew up with an old Farmall 340, which I think was 35 hsp, but everything was flat. Now with the hills and pulling the roller, rotary cutter, etc, I don't want it pushing me down the hill or having trouble going up.

Also, I want to thank both responders for their helpful input. First time I used a discussion forum like this and I am very pleased with your thoughts and suggestions. ....

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES
Posts: 75 187 Valentine Road, Charlton/Ballston Lake, NY 12019

2008-03-02          151847

I believe the 990 is built by Yanmar which has always built bullet proof tractors! Great tractor
Kevin

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
pres89

2008-03-27          152494

I took everyone's advice and went ahead and ordered a 990 with a new land pride rotary cutter and cone spreader. It was delivered today. Got it off the truck and put it right in the barn as it was pouring here and the fields are really soft. Thank God, not like the folks in the mid-west though. Everyone I talked with said the 990 and the gear shift was a monster and would do anything I need. Give me a few weeks and I'll let ya know.

One quick thing. I went to three JD dealers. One never called me back, even after I left several messages; one seemed condescending and the third was very user friendly. One piece of advice already - if looking for a dealer, don't swing at the first pitch - look around and find a good one. I did and it made my first farm tractor purchase a pleasurable one. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-27          152496

Congrats on the new hoss! I'm sure you'll be looking for excuses to put it to work. ....

View my Photos
pres89

2008-04-08          152829

One last follow up to my 990. Since I got it, I've put about 6 hrs on it. Spread lime the first weekend on the pastures and since then, I've been rolling the fields with a one ton cement roller. The 990 IS a work horse! I've got a few soft spots in the fields and with the 4x4 kicked in, it pulled the roller through about 6 inches of mud up a pretty steep incline without taxing the engine. Great job!! The 990 is comfy, controls are easy to read, access and use, and its maneuverable around the farm.

My biggest complaint that I have right now is the exhaust. I've got some respiratory problems anyway, and with the exhaust vented at the front left tire level, I'm breathing nothing but diesel fumes with my eyes burning. This design really is bad. I never thought about that before I bought the tractor. I'm checking with the dealer to see if there is some kind of adapter that won't interfere with the front loader or hood. Love the 990, but hate, ney, dispise the exhaust. I'll give that an "f" grade. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-04-08          152832

Many JDs have the option of a vertical exhaust stack. Not sure if a retrofit is available for the 990 though. Installation usually involves cutting a hole in a body panel. ....

View my Photos
blacksheep

2008-04-09          152855

I have 2005 990 with vertical stack and when wind is right you get fumes back in your face. I had 790 before this with down spout left front exhaust and never had fumes coming back, they seemed to funnel under the tractor.I called dealer to see if I could get down spout for the 990,just waiting on return call.Yes you would have to refit side panel.Hope this helps. Pat ....

View my Photos
Art White

2008-04-15          153006

You might want to measure your exhaust pipe diameter and head to the nearest exhaust shop and have them bend you a pipe to change the outlet direction. With any exhaust outlet, vertical or horizontal with the right wind it will be in your face. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login