Go Bottom Go Bottom

antifreeze

View my Photos
Jim Piersol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-23          12174

My owners manual for my ford 1620 says use "permanent" antifreeze. Alcohol based antifreeze is not recommended. What is permanent antifreeze? If its permanent why does the book say to change it seasonally? What happens if I use prestone? Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

antifreeze

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-23          12175

Jim, I think you'll find that Prestone, or another brand of ethylene glycol antifreeze, is exactly what they mean by "permanent", just not to use alcohol. Of course, my manual (Kubota B2710) also says to change it every two years. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-23          12176

I haven't seen a non-permanent antifreeze for sale for probably 20 years. Permanent antifreeze can be used year around. Non permanent has to be drained in warm weather, because it has a lower boiling point than water.. The reason that they recommend changing annual because of the breakdown of additives ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-24          12194

As Leonard says, in this case "permanent" means "year 'round" or "all-season". Ethylene glycol is "permanent". It contains corrosion inhibitors which are said to be depleated in a couple of years, hence you change it. I can't remember the last time that I saw the non-permanent type for sale. But it must have been back in the 60's. At that time, overheating in the summer was a big problem. Looking back, it must have been a combination of older thermostat technology, low pressure (low boiling temperature) cooling systems, and maybe that old style antifreeze. A common sight on a hot summer day was a car with the hood up, clouds of steam, rags, buckets of water, and lots of advice. For some reason it always drew a crowd of spectators. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Jim Piersol

2000-01-24          12200

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ethylene glycol is technically an alcohol, that is where my confusion was. I thought it was telling me not to use it. Thanks again everyone. I knew the answer would be found here. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Wen

2000-01-24          12206

Isn't Propolyene Glycol (pink) antifreeze a more environmentally friendly antifreeze. I noticed that Tractor Supply is now selling it at a comparable price to Ethelene Glycol. It is also sold by camping supply stores and can be dumped with waste where Ethelene Glycol cannot. Would this be any better choice for filling tractor tires? ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-24          12208

The main reason for putting cloride in tires is to add extra weight over & above what th water weighs. Salt water is a lot heavier than plain water. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-24          12209

The only pink antifreeze I am familiar with, and I don't remember the chemical composition, but believe we're talking about the same thing, is the stuff sold, as you said, by camping supply stores. It was a non-toxic antifreeze that you could put into the potable water supply in RVs, and I've used it many times in travel trailers and motorhomes to prevent freezing of water heaters, lines, and pumps. I would NOT use it as a coolant in any engine. I'll bet someone else will provide a better technical answer, but I seem to recall that you would need a much higher concentration; not the 50/50 mix with water, and it does not include the lubrication for water pumps, corrosion inhibitors, etc. that Prestone type antifreeze has. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Murf

2000-01-25          12216

I think everybody missed one subtle point in all of this "permanent" anti-freeze business. The manual that this poor fellow is trying to understand wasn't written in USA, or probably even by someone who speaks English very well. If it is a compact (brand x, y, or z) it was made in Asia, a place where anti-freeze of ANY kind is scarce ... it is not uncommon for them to use wood alcohol for the few days a year when freak weather patterns send the mercury plummeting. ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Art White

2000-01-27          12261

I hate to get started here I might come off as a mini Mark. Needless to say not all is as it seems, The only thing permanent about permanent antifreeze is the temperature that it protects you to. Antifreeze also has other qualities added to it that do wear out. After time, use, or what ever they loose these properties and you need to add additives to replenish them. They enclude lubrication for your water pump and anti corrosives to name a few. Now Mark can take of from here. Art ....

antifreeze

View my Photos
Bill

2000-01-27          12282

Pretone has this new extended drain antifreeze on the market, but I am still leary about leaving this in for more than the recomended time. There is an addative, which Ford New Holland, and Ford Motor Company sells for their deisel engines, which is basically an alkaline addative. I got a flier from Ford about the F250, that this stuff needs to be put in on the schedule depicted in the book( I was already following it) or cavitation can occure. I know a fella that lost a motor to this, so it is real. Apparently, even though the combustion chamber and the cooling system are two separate entities, the acids formed by the combution must somehow get into the coolant, causing cavitation, and erosion of the block. Now if this happens for the New hollands and the International motors in the 250, is it happening to the rest of the brands? It doesn't specifically say to add this to the coolant in the NH but the dealer says it's a good idea. Is this why we are changinge every one or two years? Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login