Go Bottom Go Bottom

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-13          61730

I am in the market for an new Gator-Mule-Ranger and would like to hear opinions about each from some people that use them. Such as strong points, weak points of each and what about the ground clearance issue. How much better is one over the other in the field not just on paper?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-13          61733

I can't tell you how the other brands stack up as compared to a Gator but I can tell you how well these units hold up. I recently retired from the military but while I was in, I worked very closely with the John Deere government sales rep. The 101st, 5th Special Forces, and 160th SOAR used the diesel gators extensively. In Afghanistan, Iraq, and "other" places. In particular instance the Special Forces purchased and deployed a number of new diesel gators to Afghanistan. When they returned with the equipment, they put in a work order to service and repair their gators. Most of the gators had over 500 hours from the this deployment, one gator in particular had over 850 hours. The mechanics doing the work noticed that all the factory filters were still installed and asked if the gators had ever been serviced while deployed. To their shock and disbelief, they had not been due to the extreme remote location and unavailability of parts. In a nut shell, the gators went between 500 - 850 hours with the factory break-in oil and no filter changes. The mechanics did a FULL service to include replacing the tires as they were nearly balled and the units were returned to service with no problems. In my experience in the field, soldiers can tear up a solid tungsten ball with a balsa wood hammer. These pieces of equipment stood up to it. I have used the Kawasaki Mules while deployed in Honduras. They were real handy, realiable, and FAST. Depending on the use you had in mind, I don't think you would go wrong with either. I don't have much if any experience with other models and brands. I'm sure some of the other members will jump in with their experiences and perceptions. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
darylh1

2003-08-13          61746

Thanks for the information. I guess for durability you can't get much better than what you described. I have been leaning toward the diesel gator and your experience has me tilting that way even further. I like the fact that the gator's box is not as high off the ground as the others. I Just wonder about the ground clearance. However if they take what the Military gave them In Afghanistan what I would do to them in Michigan would be nothing.

Thanks again for the information.

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Johnno

2003-08-18          62121

The polaris Ranger is the way to go. True 6x6, 40 m.p.h, most clearence, can seat 3. A very well build machine with a very time proven motor. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67301

FDNY had 10 diesal powered gators for ems response during concerts and other areas were an abulance can get to fast. The gator is well built. But i am slowly leaing toward the Mule, since it has true 4x4 in stead of the gator 4x6. I can't belive it just said that, I always had JD produces. It is better to plow snow with, but is a hell of a lot more in price. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-28          67308

For someone who really feels they have to have a Gator they should look at the Big Country by Cadet. It has everything the gator does except the diesel, but it has independent rear suspension!!!! What a difference in ride! Both have about the same performance as the Big Country has a Honda engine at 20 horsepower. The frame on the Big country is huge and definitly heavier then the gator so there is good reason for the larger capacity box to comfortably carry your load. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-28          67316

If you reallly want the latest in Diesel utility look at the Kubota! it has power steering and FOUR wheel wet brakes for safety and besides we all know that hydro's hold back. The price startsd out less then the new Mule. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-28          67333

Art, I can't find any such vehicles on the Kubota web site. Do you have a model # or a link? ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-28          67338

Mark Tractor smart has some of the best so far I've seen on line as they had a digital camara at the introduction and have some good breakaway pictures. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-10-28          67392

What about the Yamaha Rhino 660? Just looked at my dealer's first delivery, and liked what i saw. At $8500, it seems like a value. Only concern is the small box, rated at 400#.
All the reviews seen recently go on and on about the excellent performance on slopes and hills, which is my main issue with ATV's, etc.
jim ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
drdontknow

2003-11-04          67967

Has anyone seen or tried out a Land Pride Trekker? ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
drdontknow

2003-11-04          67968

Can you provide the web address for Tractor Smart? I couldn't locate it. ....

New utility vehicle

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-04          67972

Have you tried tractorsmart dot com? Works for me. ....

Link:   Tractorsmart link

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login