Go Bottom Go Bottom

6x4 Trail Gator will not start

View my Photos
kbfarm265
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-14          171542

My John Deere 6x4 Trail Gator will not start. Several months ago while crossing my field it started to pour out smoke then died and would not restart. I did have a problem a couple of years ago with the radiator fan, it quit working automatically so I ran it through a toggle switch so I could turn it on manually and leave it run while the engine was running. Now when I try to start my gator all it does is that fast clicking noise. It has oil and there is anti-freeze in the radiator. Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-06-15          171548

Fast clicking is a low battery or dirty/loose terminal connections. After you fix that, there are tests you can do. When you turn the key to on, the fuel pump should run. Turn the engine over and check for spark at the spark plug. If there is spark, do the plugs get wet after turning the motor over? ....

View my Photos
kbfarm265

2010-06-15          171551

I did put a new battery, or at least a newer fully charged battery, in it but the engine still would not crank over.
When I had the original battery in it I thought that maybe the transmission was not in neutral properly so I held the key on as I wiggled the gearshift handle around, but all that did was cause smoke to come out from the back where the battery is mounted and it would not even click after that. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-06-15          171552

Your battery terminals are dirty. You need to take all the wires off the battery and clean each with a wire brush until they are shiney. The reason it's smoking back there is there is resistance in the circuit and resistance causes heat. ....

View my Photos
kbfarm265

2010-06-15          171559

Okay, thanks I'll try that as soon as the torrential rains we are having quits :) ....

View my Photos
kbfarm265

2010-06-15          171564

Okay, battery terminals & wires are nice & shiny and I put in a new battery, alas, the same results. The fuel pump runs and I get the clicking sound. The clicking sound sounds like it may be coming from below the flywheel, is it possible that the starter is not engaging. where exactly is the starter and how hard is it to remove? ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-06-15          171567

If you turn the key to start and you get one click it could be the starter solenoid. If you get click click click click in rapid succession you still have a voltage problem. Could be dirty terminal on the starter or the ground terminal on the motor. Starter comes out the back of the machine. 12mm socket with long extension, one on top and one on the bottom, after you unplug the red wire from the solenoid and the hot wires on the main lug. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-06-16          171573

One more thought, does the engine turn over freely by hand? ....

View my Photos
kbfarm265

2010-06-16          171575

Yes, I am getting the click click click click in rapid succession. If you mean "can I turn the flywheel by hand?", no, not even when using a pipewrench on the flywheels bolt for leverage. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-06-16          171576

You can forget about all the " check this, check that " Your motor is locked up. Probably siezed the main bearing to the crank. thegatorguy.net for used or rebuilt motors. Can't buy a complete motor from Deere any longer. ....

View my Photos
kbfarm265

2010-06-16          171581

That's what I thought & was afraid of. Thanks for all the help with this problem, I really appreciate it. ....

View my Photos
bassman

2010-06-18          171637

I bought a gator that was locked up. It took a 6 dollar bushing to fix it. The bushing was on the flywheel side on the crankshaft. The crank was not harmed at all as the bushing was a lead babbited type.It is a kawasaki engine so i got all of my parts from a kawasaki dealer. If you have any questions just post them. ....

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-18          171639

I had exactly the same experience. I decided that as the engine was going to be dismantled anyway I may as well put new rings in it as well. I bought all the bits from a JD dealer - cost me several hundred dollars for rings, gaskets, O rings and seals and just $12-00 for the bearing...
If you are going to do the job yourself you WILL need the technical manual - TM1518. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login