Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75727

Jinma 354 steering seemed as though the power assist had gone out felt very heavy while plowing snow even after an hour today. Changed over to 303 fluid this past summer. Temps overnight were minus 5, today in the teens . Is it the pump or do I need to go to a thinner fluid? Tractor sits outside under a tarp.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Power Steering

View my Photos
gauthier
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-01          75733

Hey,saw your post on ctoa,don't know much about an answer,but the minus 5 might be a clue,and I use aw 32,plain ole hydro oil,I believe its 10 weight,the tractor fluid is 20 weight,might be wrong. I've never run mine in temps below about 20 degrees so I might have the same problem as you at minus 5,who knows? They was a guy on the ctoa board saying he was changing his oil today at 13 below,I believe,and was having trouble with the oil filter gasket leaking,I don't know how he got the old oil out and new oil in at that temp. anyways? Musta done it in a heated garage,but he didn't act like it. Anyways,if it quites being slugish when temps warm up to about freezing then thats the problem,you got to warm it up good also when its cold,I wouldn't even try to move it when its that cold without letting it warm up for 20 to 30 min.,but you probably knew all that. Richard ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75735

Hi Richard
I'm only a couple hours north of you. It was pretty cold up here last night. I think it may have been colder a couple of weeks ago while plowing and it steered fine. I felt a sharp tug on the steering wheel. Maybe it decided it had seen enough cold who knows? It seems to me that it would have loosened up a little after an hour of arm stronging it but never did. Chip said it may be a bypass pressure spring of some sort.
Mike ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-02-02          75736

Hi Mike, Richard!
you guys get around as much as I do! ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-02-02          75738

Hey Chip
Sorry to ask again but where is that spring located? ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-02          75758

Mike,two hrs north,well your almost a neighbor,lets see charleston,is 1 hr 45 min.,summmersville,is about 1 and a half,marlinton,is about 2 hrs? It warmed up here to about 40 yesterday,I beleve it will be warmer than that today,wonder if its still acting that way this afternoon? Richard ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-02          75768

A common problem that can happen is with colder temperatures the oil naturally gets thicker. You should let your tractor warm up before use. When you changed oil in the spring, you should also have changed the filter. I would also suggest that you use the manufacturer's filter. My point is a non-factory filter may not be as strong. Some times the filter can get damaged or plugged with dirt but also from attempting to run too cold (too thick) of hydraulic fluid through it to fast. The pump is attempting to suck thick hydraulic fluid through it faster than the filter will allow it to pass causing it to collapse. Once collapsed it will not operate correctly and will need to be replaced. I had a similar problem and replacing the filter did the trick.

My hydraulics runs quite slow until it warms up. Suggest letting the tractor warm up for 5-10 minutes before use, you should be able to see the temp. gauge creep up. After this, I run my loader or back blade up and down a number of times to get hydraulic flow going. ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-02-02          75811

I don't think it has a filter on the power steering pump on the 354. Does anyone know if it does? And where its located.
Thanks ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
Kodiman

2004-02-03          75855

There is no filter on the 304 or the 354 for power steering. By now the temp has risen and steering should be returning to normal. Recommended on other board go to lighter fluid if you are going to run in those low temps. Fluid res. is before the radiator so it is not going to warm up much from use. Could run a hair dryer near the res. if you really want to go in such cold weather. Small mag heater on res. will also work. ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-02-03          75902

Its about 33 degrees out just started tractor but still no steering. I also removed pressure valve spring all I could see was some type of pin about an inch or so down. The pin was down and wondering if it should be? ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-03          75904

Scott,well it can't be the temps then,right? Since it was so cold when something happened,maybe a spring or pin of some sort broke,in that adjustment deal? Post on the c.t.o.a. board under maintance,you posted before under parts,Somebody will chime in with some info,I bet. Now,where abouts are you from?I live in summers county,about 10 miles from hinton,you said you was 2 hrs north,must be up around marlinton? Richard ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-02-04          75914

I'm way up north just outside of Shinnston. I thought you were about 2 hours south might take more like 3 or 4 hours.
I put a magnetic heater on the power steering reservor and it seemed to help some. I ran it last winter with the Chinese fluids and never noticed the tight steering. Thats what makes me think its more then fluids. But then again maybe the Chinese fluids were what it liked. I'm gonna try some type synthetic fluid and see what happens. Do you use your tractor when its cold? If you do can you see a difference in the steering?

Power Steering

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-04          75938

Scott,yeah shinnston is about 3 1/2 hrs,drunk a lot of beer in salem and clarksburg,in the 80s. I changed all my fluids after about 50 hrs,[less for motor oil],that"hydro oil",that I drained out of mine was dark,looked like a mixture of hydro fluid and 30 weight? I put aw 32 in mine for two reasons,in the summer after running at higher rpms for 2-3 hrs straight brushoging,the hydro lines get very hot,it doesn't have a cooler so thinner is better it seems to me?,might be wrong there,but changing to the aw 32 did seem to help that,,second,in the winter,thinner is better. Another reason,these tractors are not fancy,in china I hear,they run 30 weight for every thing,thats why they come from china with 30 weight in everything,so tractor fluid may not be of any use?
No I've never had any problems in the cold,but I've never ran it in 5 degree below temps either. I would change to aw32,but then mine just has one hydro tank for all uses,unlike yours,I gather? Have you cleaned your hydro screen yet?,mine just has a washable screen,I don't know what the304s have,my screen had a couple of dimed sized holes in the wire mesh,northern sent me a new one.
Again,post this problem on the ctoa board under maintance questions if you haven't already,more people who own these tractors read and answer over there than here. Richard ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-02-04          75942

Hey Richard bet you know where the Tiger Inn was. It was torn down last year, way to rowdy. I sold some property in Salem a couple of years ago. Are you from this area?
Every time I have a little problem with this tractor I over react thinking it may be just what the guys that bad mouth them say but it always turns out something minor with an easy fix or something stupid i've done. My 354 does not have glow plugs but it will start in below zero weather after maybe turning over a couple of turns. It spits an sputters a few seconds but after a couple minutes of warm up its ready to go. How could you not love these tractors.

Power Steering

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-04          75950

Oh yeah,tiger inn,lets see,college inn,upset a pool table in there one time,ricks place,[was that the tiger inn],new him well,rick,that is,then they was another one right up the street,been in a couple knockdowns in there,then the log cabins on rt. 50,then the vfw,been in a scrape or two in there,yes I saw the inside of the salem jail. Man thinking about it,they sure was a lot of beer drinking going on there,I ain't been to salem since about 1983.

I'm from calhoun county,been living down here for 13 years now,I like it down in this area.

They all break,go up and read on the kabota board for example. Yours and mine will break too,its just that,after we bought ours,we have a lot more money left over for fixing,hell you can buy two of ours for one of the big three,or just about, Richard ....

Power Steering

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-02-04          75974

Mike,
you should be able to draw the plunger (piston) out from under the spring in the PS pump. make sure it is moving feely in the bore, maybe spray some wd-40 or CR-56 on it to clean some of the thick oil off. reassemble and try it. I'd use light hydraulic oil in the PS system.

As I recall you cannot turn easily in either direction, which to me clears the cylinder, when the seal goes there it will usually try to go one way only. (I suppose it could be bypassing both ways). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login