Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
tomzah
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-24          170277

Well thanks to all the advice given I bought the Farm Pro 2420xl 2WD with the 380t engine. I was reading an online manual which stated there was a differential lock/unlock on the right back by the seat. I cannot find such a lever and thought maybe that was for 4WD tractors only.??
And could someone tell me if the hand throttle lever should stay in place or must I hold it forward all the time. So far its been a lot of fun tinkering with this baby..
tp

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-24          170278

Don't know that brand but diff locks are more useful on 2 than on 4WD models.

Only the foot throttle should come to idle when released; the hand one should stay where you set it. Some are held by a friction disk or washer, which can need replacing or adjusting. ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-24          170279

The diff lock is a hand-operated lever to the right of and slightly behind the seat, beneath the hydraulic lift lever. Pretty sure up is engage, down is disengage. Understand however, that it will not engage unless an axle is moving (usually one tire spinning). You should hold it up by hand to ensure it remains engaged until you regain traction. And use it only in a straight line (don't turn the steering wheel). Turning with the diff-lock engaged can break stuff. When you get out of whatever situation caused you to need diff lock, simply let go of the lever. It should disengage on its own. If in doubt, push it back down by hand. Then you can turn the steering wheel again.

The hand throttle should stay in whatever position you leave it. If it doesn't, there's an adjustment in the linkage. Look for a knuckle with a round nylon friction disc in the center. Pretty sure it's in front of and slightly to the left of the brake pedals. Tighten the hex nut till the disc holds the hand throttle in place. Take care not to over-tighten.

//greg// ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-25          170280

Greg, I'm curious. And I know you know what you're talking about.

My New Holland uses a foot-operated diff lock. Heel pressure on the control pushes a lever and when the clutch inside is aligned it drops down a bit; letting off the lever it pops back up when things inside align just right (no load or binding condition)

The manual says do not engage the lock while the wheels are spinning saying come to a complete stop first.

That said, and assuming all diff locks work the same (dunno--maybe they don't) is it really a good idea for him to engage while under power; wouldn't that break things? ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-25          170281

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 170280
That said, and assuming all diff locks work the same (dunno--maybe they don't) is it really a good idea for him to engage while under power; wouldn't that break things?
All diff locks do not in fact work the same EW. FarmPro tractors are rebadged Jinmas. Jinma uses a mating claw system. Find these items:
130 right claw
123 right axle
132 left claw
122 left axle
135 fork
136 spring
145 diff lock lever
Note the cogs on the right claw. Not visible in the diagram are matching slots in left claw. The lever moves the fork which slides the right claw either direction on the right axle splines. The left claw is fixed in place on the left axle splines. Lifting the lever slides the right claw into a mating position with the left claw. But final mating cannot occur without one or the other axles rotating. So odds are low that the claws will be perfectly aligned in the mating position with the tractor at rest.

When engaged, engine torque is holding the two claws together - temporarily simulating a solid rear axle. As long as engine torque is applying pressure, they remain locked.

But when either the engine is throttled down, or the clutch is engaged - spring 136 homes the right claw on the right axle splines, separating the two axles again. That's why I suggest the operator hold the lever in the up position until diff lock is no longer needed, or risk the spring disengaging the claws if he/she inadvertently throttles down or kicks in the clutch before getting "unstuck".

That's why with this type of diff lock, you engage it with at least one axle moving. Slowly of course, common sense should tell one not to attempt it at full throttle. Same for the bit about keeping in a straight line. Turning naturally makes the outside axle turn faster than the inside axle. Doing either while they're locked together risks - at a minimum - tearing up the claws.

//greg// ....

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Rear Axle Lock   Unlock

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-25          170283

Sounds like at least in principle it works the same. And mine doesn't actually engage until it finds the sweet spot or mating area. It does stay engaged without foot pressure until there a difference in axle torque.

Are you a professional tech that you know these machines so intimately? And I have to compliment you on your very professional way you approach and describe things--does that come naturally? ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-25          170284

Nah, just a retired Navy chief. I was a telecommunications troubleshooter, so my approach to all things mechanical is sorta analytical I guess. And chief petty officers typically perform plenty of teaching and training duties in the course of their careers. Plus, it helps to have previously owned a pair of Jinma 200 series tractors. And I currently own a TS354C (TaiShan) and a KM454 (Kama), both Chinese as well.

//greg// ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-04-25          170286

That's interesting, Greg. On my 2007 304 Jinma the differential lock is located aft of the foot throttle, mounted on the side of the gear box. Just a couple inches forward and above it is the engage/disengage for the PTO gear train. (As opposed to the H-N-L PTO lever on the left side of the lift box. The diff lock on my 304 is the step-down-on-it-with-your-right-heel type. I engage it by pushing the clutch in, step on the diff lock pedal, let clutch out and it locks the diff until load is take off the rear end.

The diff lock has saved my butt a couple of times too, I might add. When I had a front wheel in a hole and not in contact with the ground the 4WD was not much help, but the diff lock allowed me to back right out of the hole with no problem, where the rear tire had been spinning before.

The many different permutations of these Chinese tractors are interesting. With all the re-badging that goes on I'm sure it can get confusing to figure out just what you have, especially if you buy a used one. The manuals aren't necessarily that much enlightenment either. Mine hardly mentions the diff lock, for instance, and some of it is applicable to model years older than mine and of no use for my particular iteration. Without forums like these things would be much more complicated.

I too appreciate that your posts are usually quite accurate and your nomenclature is consistent and understandable. Thanks.

Rich ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-25          170292

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwaugh | view 170286
The diff lock on my 304 is the step-down-on-it-with-your-right-heel type.
Different machine. Yours is in the Jinma 300 series. The OP question was in regard to his 200 series. Both my current tractors - a 300 series TaiShan and a 400 series Kama - also have the pull-it-up-to-engage lever. Personally I prefer the stomp-on-it-to-engage design like you have. My old Yanmar had it, and I miss the convenience of not having to occupy the right hand when one is busy getting unstuck.

//greg// ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-04-25          170295

Greg,

On the yank-it-up-to-engage type, do you have to continue to hold it up or does it have a detent arrangement? I've never operated one of the 200 series Jinmas so I'm not familiar with that set-up. Just curious is all, trying to expand my information base. I agree that the foot operated one is probably handier, at least I find it very workable. I don't think I'd like to bend down to pull up a lever while trying to get myself unstuck, like you said.

Rich ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-25          170304

As long as the applied torque is not interrupted, the two claws will remain "locked". But the instant that torque is removed - throttle down, clutch in - that spring #145 will cause the fork to separate the two claws. Hence my advice to hang on the handle to ensure the claws stay locked until you have no more use for them.

//greg// ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-04-26          170328

Okay, it took me a goodly while of studying that drawing to finally figure out how it happens but I think I get it now. Seems straightforward enough, now that I finally got my head around it. Thanks. ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
affordable

2010-04-27          170351

On all the 200 series Jinmas you push down on the differential lock to engage it not pull up

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
tomzah

2010-04-27          170353

Thanks for all your help. I was able to determine that the entire lever assembly for the diff lock has been removed from the tractor. It appears part# 137,138,141,145 are gone. Onle a 1/2" shaft with a rollpin hole remains. It turns freely in both directions. Only when I push it in does it seem to lock its rotation. Just yesterday I put my first parts order in to Affordable. I got the manual set and filters and some rubber boots. I'll have to price out the rest of the missing parts.
Once again, your guys help is so appreciated.
Tom Para ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-27          170354

Quote:
Originally Posted by affordable | view 170351
On all the 200 series Jinmas you push down on the differential lock to engage it
Thanks for the clarification Tommy. Been quite a while now since I got rid of those JM254s. As both my current diff lock levers pull up, I clearly drew an incorrect association with the old Jinmas.

//greg// ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-05-24          171050

Tom, it might not be easy to find the answer, but I'd at least ask the question: was there some problem that was solved by removing the entire axle-lock mechanism? ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
tomzah

2010-05-24          171064

No the original owner has passed away. His son however is very helpful and told me it was missing when his Dad took delivery from a now defunct dealer. It is actually only missing the handle and the cam actuator. The stud the actuator pushes down on is there and has good spring action. As a matter of fact the spring is very strong and I would be afraid to test the diff lock without the proper parts installed. I did call Affordable and am waiting for a call back to find out the parts availability. I'll have to call them back I think they forgot me!
tp ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
affordable

2010-05-24          171068

Tom,we do have the parts in stock,we have been busy the last few months with everybody getting there tractors ready,gardens ready,ect.Sorry for not calling back we try to take care of everybody that calls in,we have the parts seperate and as a assembly,if you want to send me a PM I will give you pricing,or send me a e-mail

tommy@affordabletractorsalesco.com

We will be glad to help you

Tommy ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
affordable

2010-05-24          171069

This is the part that bolts to the tractor,then you have the operation rod and handle,these parts are also listed on my website search differential and it will bring up the parts

Tommy ....

Link:   Parts at Affordable

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Rear Axle Lock   Unlock

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
tomzah

2010-05-24          171070

Ha HA I knew I'd get a rise out of you Tommy :) I understand and we have been equally busy using the Jinma to build a new runway for our model airplane club. I will pm ya with what I need .
Thanks
Tp ....

Link:   

Click Here

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
affordable

2010-05-25          171087

Speaking of Model airplanes,I have a few that I want to get rid of,2- of them are Piper Cubs, 1- has a horizonal
twin cylinder engine,

Tommy ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
corvettteguy

2010-06-08          171437

i HAVE THE jm 180 THAT IS A 2x4
the DiFF Lever IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE
left of the lift control.
Operated by pushing down when one wheel is spinning.
It will disengage by itself. When engaged it will be
hard to make turns. ....

Rear Axle Lock Unlock

View my Photos
corvettteguy

2010-06-08          171438

On the throttle control.
They all loosen up over time.
Just follow the linkage and you
will see where you can tighten it up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login