Go Bottom Go Bottom

Maybe in the right place this time

View my Photos
tomwilli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-01          111828

Hi Folks,
Just joined Tractor Point and wading around to the wrong spots. In Canada. No tractor yet but want to buy. Couple of acres of grass and scrub bush. Looked for used but looking at $9-10K ( Cdn ) for stuff that looks like junk.
Can import crated -- JM 254 for around $5k Cdn which includes cost, insurance, freight to Toronto Ontario Canada. Price good but know nothing about tractors. No implements and waiting for prices on FEL, mower, snow blower. Presume JM is a Jinma ??
Any thoughts or help you can give me would be appreciated.
Been geting by just cutting with a lawn tractor but need more now so this is why I am looking. Was given this URL as the sister site :http://www.siromer.co.uk .
Chinese tractor OK or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks for any help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-01          111830

Right place Tom. Crate tractors look inviting, but when dealing with imported merchandise it's often cheaper in the the long run to go with an assembled unit with a warranty that can be executed locally. The warranty parts supply line for a crate tractor is extremely long and slow. Freight alone often far exceeds the price of the part. If you want to go crate, there are others from whom you can draw advice. Mine is to shop locally first. And locally doesn't necessaryily have to mean next door. I bought my KAMA from a dealer some 460 miles distant. He delivered it to my door, and did a very good job of satisfying my warranty parts requests by mail or by UPS.

Bottom line, shop for an in-country dealer - before charging into the crate tractor experience.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
tomwilli

2005-06-01          111834

Hi Greg,

Nice to know I got to the right spot finally.
Truly haven't got heavy needs for a compact tractor. Want a loader, nice to get a snow blower and would like a bush mower or finish mower. Primarily scrub bush that could be pulled out or dug out and then levelled.
Been looking quite a while. Really isn't the same number of suppliers up here in Canada and off brands are tough to find anyone who even sells them. All the big names are really big bucks. All the used have been really junky.
Saw a Jinma Dealer here in Ontario but he was like $10K for an assembled tractor with no attachments. Is a Kioti dealer around but Kioti's are a little pricey also. Would like to find something before the snow flies again.
This is why I was finally looking at the crate tractor thing.
As I have said, grateful for any input as I have never owned a tractor before and really looking for advice.

Thanks again
Tom ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-01          111835

Well, Ontario covers a lot of territory. If you're towards the east you might want to check in with the guys at http://nortrac.proboards26.com/. They're a New York based Chinese tractor owners discussion group, but have members scattered all over. Otherwise you can Google for Chinese tractor dealers in Canada just as easy as I can. FWIW, I had two Jinmas, and neither one could match this KAMA I have now. The smaller KAMAs are called TaiShan down here, I think they're sold as TayShan up there.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
tomwilli

2005-06-01          111838

Ya, your right. Ontario is a big enough place. Live southwestern Ontario. Bout 90 minutes from Niagara Falls, couple of hours to Buffalo or Toronto depending on which way you go.
Have tried to Google my way through Chinese tractors in Canada or Ontario. Some in Quebec that are just about as pricey as the $10K one in Northern Ontario. One fairly local that will import for me but is crate price also. Really no dealers.
Will flip around to the site you suggested and try some more googling around. Appreciate the advice re your tractor.
Thanks again ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-06-01          111845

There are Canadian members at http://ctoa.net/ldu/ as well. First 30 days are free, but after that it's a pay forum. The NY site is free.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kalpia
Posts: 77 Extreme Western on the beautiful St. Croix River, WI

2005-07-01          112998

I agree with greg. If you are not familiar with tractors or mechanically inclided (like me) an assembled tractor is the way to go. I bought my AgraCat (JM254) fully assembled with FEL for less than $8500US delivered, good deals are out there just keep looking. Once (if) you get one the guys/gals on this forum are great and will to help with anything they can. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-05          113084

Have you thought about buying an old Fordson 2N or 8N? Or a Ferguson? I used a 1947 2N for about two years up until 2003 when I decided to bite the bullet and bought a New Holland 4wd TC33D for about $13,500 (now they are closer to $20,000). I bought my 2N in pieces for $800, paid a buddy $200 to assemble it and get it working, $100 paint job, and used it for 2 yrs and got $2400---and the buyer was thrilled (my dealer said he didn't even want it because it would sit there even if he asked $1800) Here near Detroit it isn't uncommon to see $3500 for a nicely restored 1940's tractor. A junky old one still fetches $800-$1800. The old tractors are not only reliable but cheap and easy to work on and you can still get just about part you'll ever need. ....

View my Photos
tomwilli

2005-07-06          113114

Hi,

Well, finding that even really beat off looking older tractors are a whack on money. Looked at 3 actually at the same place and prices went $7900, 8900, and 9900. All of them looked like junk. Needed tires, paint, and had a tons of hours on them.
Spent quite a bit of time looking around at used and the prices are just a touch out of the ballpark for what you are getting. Actually, I was more than a little shocked.

So, still keeping at it.

Thanks for the input. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-06          113115

TOMWILLI: Maybe you're not looking in the right places. Put the word out among friends that you are looking for one--you might be surprised who has one or knows of one sitting in a barn collecting dust. I found mine sitting in a rusted out refrigerator truck behind a sign shop.

My buddy has a 1968 Ford 2000 with a factory loader and a Ford-brand 8' scraper blade, 3 cyl. gas engine, new air filter and battery, runs good, doesn't smoke. Also has a 6' King Kutter landscape rake. Needs front hydraulic pump for loader (about $280-$400 depending from where you buy it). Was from a local college and used for cutting grass. Does have turf tires on back and factory wheel weights. Tractor is a little bigger than Fordson 8N. The last time I spoke to him he wanted $5000 (he paid $6500 back in 1996). Reason he is selling it is I now do all his earthmoving work (I own an excavating co.).

I can haul it for you for $1.50 per loaded mile if you wish, providing you meet come look at it, and do all the necessary US/Canadian Customs paperwork and fees etc. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-07          113129

Tom, are you sure you want a CUT, there are lots of good used small farm tractors out there in your price range.

They will certainly be a few years old, and won't be shiny as a new penny, but I promise, neither the scrub brush or snow banks will laugh as you past......

I am just north of Toronto, near Lake Simcoe, and know of, as an example, a lady nearby selling a LEyland with Allied loader, old and ugly but runs like a champ, she is asking $5k. (Cdn. of course) but hasn't had any takers yet, I'm told they bought it from a dealer for $10k. just a few years ago.

Contact me if you are interested, or want contact info. about the dealers in this area, lots of used stuff up here.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
mscott6799

2005-07-07          113134

If your looking for a tractor that will work hard for you and has all the new safety features like a ROP, which is a must, go with the Jinma 254 crate tractor. The Chinese tractors have come a long way in the last few years and most complaints come from guys that have never even worked one. ....

View my Photos
tomwilli

2005-07-08          113182

Hi Folks,

Well, I am getting a little overwhemled here. Now, I hope you realize that I truly am a novice and even had to go to the dealer at the corner to have him explain PTO's to me, how loaders work, hrs, clutches, etc. Thought I'd fall over when he told me that you had to break some of the tractors in half to replace the clutch. You can imagine the visual I had. How the heck can you break a tractor in half. Slowly getting there thanks to help like I am getting from you folks. Now, I presume " CUT " means something like Chinese Utility Tractor ??

I have been pretty open on used vs imports. Been offered a pretty good deal on an import. Appears, though, that maybe I haven't been looking in the right places and will be contacting couple of you for some of your insight.

Honestly, not looking for much. Reliable tractor, front end loader to play in the dirt with, PTO for rough cut mower, snow blower or whatever. And from listening it appears that I may be interested in a box blade but I am not sure what the difference is between a box blade and a regular blade.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help and insights.

Tom ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-08          113188

Splitting the tractor is not much different than splitting an automobile engine from it's transmission. Remember that most CUTs don't have frames, the engine+transmission is a stressed member and IS the frame.

CUT is Compact Utility Tractor. All of them are imported or at least major parts are imported and assembled here. Even the big names like JD, NH, Massey Ferguson, Case, etc. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-09          113192

As far as what implements do what, visit your dealer you most likely will be dealing with (used or new---their brand[s] or not). Talk to the Sales Manager. Be up front and tell him what is on your mind: not a lot of money, you like their products, you want a good working relationship, etc.---and like I tell the ladies "what I lack in experience I more than make up in interest!" ha ha ha.

Most likely they will respect you for this because you are being honest and trying not to waste their time and resources, and you are a potential customer i.e., "dollars."

Ask if you could rent a box scraper, a tractor, a landscape rake, and a scraper blade for the weekend. Make sure they know you are not out to make a few bucks... errr...Canadian Loonies doing work down the street with THEIR equipment. No truck or trailer? Maybe they will deliver, and might even throw in a salesman to show you how to use them if they feel you are genuine and worthy of their attention---not just looking for a freebie. If they don't necessarily have a rental fleet, get them to demonstrate how to use an implement in the parking lot.

I rented a big skid steer from my dealer for over a month for a job I had (would have been a $3000 rental). When it came time to bring it back they discounted the rental to $1700 and the owner ended up giving me the rental for free---PLUS knocked off $6,800 of the price of a new one. And now I'm buying my second one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login