Go Bottom Go Bottom

40-50 pound 2 stroke generator question

View my Photos
GaleHawkins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-16          76989

Does anyone have experience with a very small generator? I have a 7KV but would like to have sometime for work lights, run a small battery charger, etc that is very portable.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-16          76991

In 1975 a neighbor gave me a military surplus 2-cycle 350W generator that was in that weight range. I have never seen another like it. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-16          77022

A friend has a Honda 1000 watt 'suitcase' type generator for when he goes away camping. It is so quiet it's hard to hear it running from only a few feet away. It puts out 8+ amps at 120v. and also has a 12v. output for charging batteries.

It only weighs about 30 pounds. He says it starts first pull every time and runs like a champ. It was not a lot of money to buy new.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-16          77024

The Honda generator that Murf mentions is a good one. There are some two stroke generators made, but I really think that the only advantage that they would have would be for cost. Even the two stroke generators that I have seen recently have been 1KW just like the Honda.

In my experience, the quality of the Honda generators has been outstanding.

I also have a couple of Coleman generators. One of them is 1450 watts and the other is 1750 watts and I think that both of them are also under 50 pounds. I know the smaller unit has a Kawasaki motor and I am not sure about the larger one.

The Honda is quieter and equally/more reliable. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-16          77030

I have had one of the 1000 W. Honda generators for about 6-8 years. I like the ease of 4cycle (i.e. nothing to mix). It starts nearly every time on the first pull and is quiet like was said. They are durable as well. I dropped mine off of the flat bed doing about 10mph and just bent one of the mounts and outer skin. Bent it back and runs like a champ. I use it to run lights, battery charger, 1/6HP sump pump, electric weed wacker, electric leafblower and 3/8 drill. It won't run a 1/2" drill motor if using it to full potential. It will run a smaller reciprocating saw but won't run a chop saw or circular saw. You need about 2500W. for that. A 2500W will run a 1/3rd HP sump-pump and may start some low load 1/2HP motors. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-16          77039

Thanks everyone. While I am not buying today I think the Honda EU1000iA2 is the one I want. New they are nearly $700 and about 1/2 that if used some I noticed on the web. While more watts is better the 30 pounds/120 AC/12 DC is an attractive combo. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-16          77068

If someone could help me better understand the below message I would be greatful:

Lighweight and compact, Honda's EU2000IA is powered by an air-cooled 4-stroke engine. "Its heavy metal casting has been replaced by a lightweight plastic so it weighs only 28.6 lbs." It's ideal for home and professional equipment including computers.

When I click on specs it states the normal weight of 46 lbs. If I could get a 2000 (1600w cont.)that weighed the same as the 1000 (900w cont.)I am interested. Perhaps it is something new or wrong info. Regardless I would like to know if the plastic would stand up fine under normal use. If they can make plastic wedges and plow wings why not tractor hoods and generator castings.

Link:   2000 watt gen under 29 pounds

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-16          77070

I think they got their specs mixed up. The Honda 1000 watt generator weighs 29 pounds. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-16          77095

DRankin,

I think you are correct. I found the specs on the EM 500 which has 1/4 the output of the EU 2000i and it weighs 40lb. which is only 6lb. less then one 4X as powerful. So the EU 1000i is 11 lb. lighter than the older technology that has 1/2 of the output. In fact one could move from the EM 500 to the EU 2000i with little weight gain. I can see why the EU series is popular. ....

Link:   Over 50 Honda Generator Manuals you can download.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-17          77125

You have to read the description carefully, it says "Its HEAVY METAL CASTING has been replaced by a lightweight plastic...".

They are talking about the weight reduction of just one component, not the whole generator.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-17          77146

Since my post of yesterday, I've looked at the spec's. of my "older" model EX1000, which has .8 gallons fuel capacity and weighs (more than I thought) 57 lbs with 3.8 hr. run time. It has a stamped metal casing. It originally cost about $400.00. It has been very reliable. I also have a EZ2500 model that weighs 81 lbs.

From the link posted is says the 2000W has a 28.6 weight. The 1000W has about the same weight.

I realize the 2000W has twice the output. I've found the 1000W has a number of good uses as I stated. I use my 2500W for bigger jobs but wish it was atleast a 3500W for 1/2HP applications (1/2Hp sump pump+1/2HP air compressor). I don't know about the need for a unit between but if it weighs the same, has the same run time, and approximate same cost, I'd go with the 2000W. What about noise level differences?

The plastic case should be OK as long as you don't drop it or misuse it like I have. In another post, I've voiced my displeasure with plastic stuff. Sometimes you have to just go with what is offered. I think Yamaha also makes a small, quiet unit. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-17          77159

The reason Honda EU "i" series is of interest is because we have a software company and one of our products is PowerClaim property estimating software and since we are not that far from Reelfoot Lake I know we could see a big earthquake some day or other weather related concern. In the event of an earthquake, etc our need to be up and running 24/7 becomes even more critical because we would have so many users out in field at the same time. When we build our own location in about 3 years we will go with a complete back-up generation system. A couple of these light units can be kept off-site as we keep the second phone system off-site but every 30 days we exchange the two phone systems.

We also have the small battery backup power sources but they are only good for minutes. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-23          77726

The Honda eu series is in high demand it seems. While I have found some on ebay they have been going very close to the price of new one's. For the $$ vs. pounds I too like the eu2000i and two cost less than the eu3000i which weighs 134 pounds but is electric start. The eu2000i is 46 pounds each and two can be put together with cables to get 4000 watts surge/3200 cont. which makes them very portable. The eu1000i is very nice at 29 pounds but max out at 8 amps limiting its use with powertools but would be nice for work lights and battery charger use. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143815

I think EU2000i is 52lb shipping weight. don't know the price, likes close to $1000 i think.
I saw another Pramac EG2800 T-Handle Generator with Honda GC160 Engine(5HP) 2520W/ 2800W, only $485.00/60lb. But only on the Homedepot website, not local store. See the link below. Just wondering what things you could do with 2520W. can it support a 8 gallons air compressor, or a 6000GPH field water pump? Thanks,

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-18          143817

I have a Honda EZ2500 generator that will not always start my 2 1/2 gallon-2 HP compressor. How many HP does your 8 gallon compressor have? ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143818

This one (see the link): 2.5 HP
I used it installed my 700sf hardwood floor and 13 stairs. Not bad.But looks 2500W does not work on it.:-( ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Billy

2007-07-18          143822

kangaroo31

The thing about generators and electric motors is getting past the start up requirements. Some motors like fan and compressor motors require 2 to 3 times the running amps. It would probably start that 8 gallon 2 1/2 HP air compressor if you ran the pressure down enough. As far as it starting the compressor at the cut in pressure, I doubt it very seriously. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143824

Thanks, Billy. I will stop thinking use a generator to do these things. Just use a 5HP gasoline motor pump is much easer. When I have a barn with power line, air compressor should be fine. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-20          143910

yooperpete:
Find one 1000w gas generator in local NWL(National Wholesale Liquidators), only $99.98. Just curious how many times it can use.:-) Any this kind store close?

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-20          143912

Kangaroo,

If you're looking for a portable generator, I don't believe you'll find a better deal than you'll find at Proxibid auctions.

Proxibid offers auctions dealing with this sort of equipment all the time......nearly every day. Find an auction close to you, then bid on one of these generators from the comfort of your own home.

Just do a search for "Generator" at Proxibid.com

You'll find hundreds of them. And the prices are more than reasonable for NEW equipment, still packed in the original factory box.

See the link below......... ....

Link:   Proxibid -- Live Online Auctions -- Bid from home

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-20          143913

Thanks, Joel. Very impressive. Did you ever buy something from them? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-20          143914

Kangaroo,

I rarely go shopping for anything these days. Of course, I live over 120 miles from the nearest Burger King. It's over 40 miles to the nearest traffic light from my house. Going shopping is expensive for me, even if I don't buy anything while I'm in the stores, due to the cost of fuel, oil, tires, and vehicle repairs. If I can shop from home, I do.

Proxibid has been good to me. I can't drive anywhere for the cost of shipping by UPS right to my door. In the meantime, I can get a whole lot of other things done, rather than drive around wasting time and fuel.

I've purchased many items from Proxibid........some of them very large. In those cases, I took part in the auctions located very near my home.

I got myself a 16ft tandem axle trailer for 130 dollars; a 625 gallon water tank to put on that trailer for only 125 dollars, and then I found an old pickup to haul the trailer and tank around with, for only 425 dollars......all from auctions on Proxibid.

Earlier this year I found an auction in Colorado, in which a major firm had gone into bankruptcy. I got myself a couple of saws, several tool bags full of tools, extension cords, air hoses, and a few wrecking bars, for less than the price of a single new saw.......and everything was in perfectly working order.

Retail prices are just too high these days. And buying cheap Chinese made tools is not the answer to this problem. I can still purchase quality tools (Milwaukee, DeWalt, Porter Cable) without paying the high retail prices.

Yes.....most everything is used, but the photos provided by Proxibid help a guy decide what to bid on. At any rate, I've never received anything that didn't work properly. If I ever do, I'll write it off and forget all about it. The money I've saved so far is well worth the risk of buying something that doesn't work at all.

Save some big money, then put the savings toward your land purchase and the tractor implements you'll need in the future.

Have fun bidding.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-20          143915

Thanks, Joel. Find one 10 minutes away from the property. Will try in the future. :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login