Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best Pressure Washer for Father s Day

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-13          57560

OK guys, I've been let out of time out. The "holder of the check book & CFO" has authorized a pressure washer for Father's Day and I get the pick it out within reason. "Tim Allen Specials" are out. I have more or less been authorized upto $800. So what is the "Tractor Point.com best buy" for a good pressure washer? So far I found a Generac Model 1417 on Amazon.com . Honda 6.5 hp, 2500 psi, 3 gpm, 50 hose, adjustable pump, 4 pressure tips, commercial axial cam oil bath commercial pump, $749 complete delivered to my door. Any suggestions, comments, and tips very much appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-13          57562

These look really good. Honda GX engines, good quality triplex pumps with ceramic plungers, adjustable pressure, commercial quality hoses, optional CAT pumps, great warranties. I'm buying one this weekend.

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-13          57568

Don't know if you are near one of the three Costco's in Tennessee, but they have a pressure washer in stock here at the local store with a Honda engine and I think the price was under $400

Might be worth a look. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-13          57569

Those costco machines are probably Karchers. My neighbor bought one of those and I borrowed it a couple of weeks ago. Although it was a decent machine there were a few things I didn't care for. For one, the hose was kind of a hard inflexible plastic like material that didn't like to roll up. Also, the quick disconnects were not very good - one of them got stuck on me. The engine is a Honda GC which is a residential grade engine, not the better GX engine. I prefer a pressure washer that has an adjustable pressure feature - the Karcher was around 2500 psi which wasn't enough for our concrete driveway pad and too much for our wood deck. The pump also isn't built as well as the better triplex pumps with ceramic plungers. All of those issues aside I have to say the Karcher did operate just fine and is a good value. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57604

kwschumm, I have been looking at these guys too, but I figured shipping would be prohibitive. Did you order the pressure washer yet? I was looking at Model PJ # 3003 or 2703A7-P with the Deluxe Package B. It looks like the shipping may be $65 for the 2703 but am not sure about the 3003. The 2703CS looks like a nice unit to but not sure if I need that much pump. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57607

I haven't ordered yet. Last week I called to ask a couple of questions and was going to place an order but the lady said they would be having a Fathers day sale this weekend and I could save some money by waiting. The prices are the same now as last week so I'm not sure what's up with that. I seem to remember her saying that the 2703 and 3003 were both $65 for shipping but I may be wrong. Old age and memory, etc. I was looking at the 3003 with the CAT pump upgrade but I may opt for the 2703. Both these units look to be comparable to the commercial grade Northern units for a couple hundred less. By the way, since they shipped disassembled I asked how much assembly there was and she said all you have to do is put on the wheels and the upper handle.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57611

Well, I guess I am learning something about pressure washers. Thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57615

You and me both Mark. Thanks for the info. as well. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57616

I have benefited from so much good information here that I'm happy to be able to contribute for a change.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57620

Just got off the phone with ProJet.com and it is $65 shipping for the Model 3003 and altogether it looks like $879.94 for the unit with the Deluxe B Package. I'm thinking about goin' for it. The treasurer has released funds and approval. What do you think? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57622

Sounds great! I'll probably order the same package sometime today. I want to get a turbo nozzle for it but I think theirs are priced too high at $140 so I'll bide my time until I find a good deal on one elsewhere.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57623

Hey Chief, does that $879.94 price include shipping? If so maybe that's the Fathers Day sale they were talking about. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57624

Doh!!!! I forgot to add the shipping in.

$779.99 Model 3003
$ 99.95 Deluxe B Package
$ 65.00 Shipping
$944.94 Total (no sales tax)

The Model 2703A7-P is $784.94 Total

Think we can make ourselves a "Tractor Point Blue Light Special" and get these guys to give us a group discount if we order several today? Probably one of those "don't hold your breath" kinda things. They are selling at a great price already but it would be worth a try. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57625

I can call them and try to coordinate the group pricing if you think it is worth a try. We would probably have to agree to buy at least 10 units from our group. What do you think??? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57628

Hey, I'm up for it! Put me down for a 3003 with the B upgrade package! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57629

How bout you Mark? You interested in a pressure washer? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57631

Before I do anything here with the Tractor Point.com name on it; I think it would be a good idea to ask Dennis. Do we have your blessings and permission for this Dennis? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57634

Sorry, not a great month for extra expenditures. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57636

I know how that goes Mark. Not the best month for me either. I am still going back and forth on which model and if I want to purchase now or wait. I've almost bought one about 4 times so far today so that tells me that maybe I should wait. Might give us enough time to get a bigger group purchase together if Dennis gives the OK. Currently it is not looking like there is too much interest. Just kwschum and I so far. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57637

Everyone else is probably out using their tractors on this fine Saturday afternoon. I know that's what I'd be doing if my shiny new 4310 had been delivered yet. They say next week (I hope I hope). I was going to order a pressure washer today but I'll wait a few days to see if more people are interested in trying for a group purchase.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57638

Dennis gave me the OK so I will call and see if they are willing to give us a group discount. The wait will also help me to get over my "Pressure Washeritis". ;o) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57639

Some good info. about pressure washers. ....

Link:    Choosing the Best Pressure Washer to Purchase

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57641

Found this place on the internet that sells some pretty neat equipment. ....

Link:   More Pressure Washers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57648

If I had an unlimited budget I'd buy a pressure washer with belt driven or gear driven pump. Models with those features always cost another $500 or more. I figure a direct drive unit with high quality components that is guaranteed for 5 years should earn it's keep. I have heard that they sell rebuild kits for high quality pumps. Since that's the major wear item I figure a direct drive unit will be fine, and when the pump goes it could be rebuilt inexpensively. Even if you had to buy a brand new pump out of warranty it will still be cheaper than the extra premium for a belt or gear drive washer.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-14          57652

I've been researching pressure washers all day and I arrived at the same conclusion. I am in the same boat as you. Although I am now considering the 3200 psi 4 gpm unit. Not that much more but alot more cleaning power to wash away dirt. Hey, thanks a bunch for sharing the info. on the pressure washers, I am learning ALOT. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-14          57653

Before you get a 4 gpm unit you may want to make sure you have 4 gpm available at the hose bibs you want to use with the pressure washer. Take a 5 gallon bucket and run water from your hose bib for a minute to measure the flow. I wanted a 4 gpm unit but our hose bibs barely eke out 4 gpm and I wanted a safety margin for when pressure drops due to showers, washing machine, etc.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-15          57703

I went outside yesterday right after my last post and timed a 5 gallon bucket. The hose ran the 5 gallon bucket over in about 56 seconds. You think 4 gpm is over kill? I have my well pressure set at 60psi and the pump kicks on at 40 psi. I wonder what city water pressure would be? I want to be able to use the pump pretty much anywhere. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-15          57707

If I had to guess I would say that the majority of plumbing systems could deliver 4 gpm. Our house can do 4 gpm but I think the restriction is in the hose bibs. Code here requires funky freeze proof bibs with vacuum breakers which seem to restrict flow. We get more than 5 gpm out of our tub faucets. Old plumbing systems often have restrictions that would prevent delivery of 4 gpm, and well flows can slow down in dry season too. Here they allow new wells to go in that deliver as little as 3 gpm.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-16          57758

The response to a group purchase of pressure washers seems a bit underwhelming. Whaddya think Chief, should we just order on our own?

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57759

OK guys, I got a response back from Projet.com asking what model pressure washers we were interested. Here is the link again so you can take a look but I think they are willing to work out a group discount with us. ....

Link:   Link to Projet Pressure Washers

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-16          57760

It looks like we posted at the same time. I'll wait a bit longer to see if we can raise more interest. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57761

kwschumm, looks like not many are trampling each other to get a pressure washer is it? If it is just you and I, don't think we will get any group discount. Which model are you planning on buying? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-16          57764

If I ordered right now I'd get the PJ-3003 with the B upgrade package.

View my Photos
Maynard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-16          57799

Odd that this post appears. I bought a 2400 psi with a Honda 5 hp from Costco last year and paid $398 out the door. I used it a couple of times but not since last Aug. Today I pulled it out to power wash my engine compartment but sprung a leak in the high pressure hose. I brought it back to Costco with my receipt, they refunded the $389 and I went to the self they keep the new ones and bought the exact same power washer but paid $324 out the door. Can't beat that. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-16          57804

I need a pressure washer too. Wish we had a Costco here in PA. if we do I don't no where, that sounds like a good price. Checked a few at home depot but they were to pricey. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57805

kwschumm, I am inclined to agree with you on the massive, stampedeing underwelming response to the pressure washer group purchase. Do you have a Lowes near you? They have a Husqvarna 3700 psi, 4 gpm pressure wash identical to the Model PJ 4004C for $1299. Buy the time you add in shipping which is $165. I think Lowes has the better deal. At least if there is a problem you just take it back to the store. The model 3003 comes to $944.94 I think Don at Pro-jet would give us a discount but with the stampede to join in our group purchase discount, he is not inclined to waste his time on 2 units for that. Time to regroup and go to plan B. What do you think???? We need at least 10 people in on this or it is probably not practical. Hint Hint Hint all you Tractor Point .com'ers. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-16          57808

Chief, I couldn't justify going more than $1k for a pressure washer. Since the response for a group purchase is so slow I'll probably go ahead and place an order from projet tomorrow for the 3003. They're about 3 hours from me so I *could* drive up to get it, but for $65 shipping it's a lot cheaper to just have 'em ship it. The group purchase was a great idea, and it was good of you to try to organize it, but it looks like most folks here already have one or don't have a need. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-16          57810

Yeah, I think you are right. The group discount idea fizzled out. Let me know how the buying experience went and how well the pressure washer works when you get it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-17          57854

Chief, I just ordered the PJ-3003 with the B upgrade package (3200 psi 3 gpm). They said the Fathers Day pricing was never posted online due to system problems they were having, but Don there knocked another $30 off the price. So I paid $915 for it shipped. I'll post a review here after I fire it up and give it a try.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57855

kwschumm, I think I am going to go with this unit. There is a truck load sale in town tommorow from this company and they are offer a 3500 psi, 4 gpm, Robin 13.5 hp engine, 50 ft. hose, and 4 tips. for $799. Not as nice as the unit you got but over $400 cheaper than the unit I was looking at which was the PJ 4004CT for $1204 ....

Link:   Link to Pressure Washer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-17          57857

Here's a link to the same unit for $749, no sales tax, and free shipping. I thought about that unit, too, but decided against it because the Coleman PowerMate's really don't have a very good reputation. It has a lot of power at a very good price though. Be careful - there are a bunch of refurbished units on the market and they're not always labeled as such so be sure to ask them about that and make sure it has the warranty. If you go this route be sure to report back on how you like it. I may kick myself for not making the same choice as you.

Link:   Coleman pressure washer

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57876

kwschumm, thanks for the heads up! That is a great price. I figured if the pump craps itself I can buy a CAT pump and still be money ahead. I would think you could mount a CAT pump to this engine. In any case, I am thinking about it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-17          57879

Yep, I'd bet you could find a CAT pump that would fit the Robin engine. I'm not sure of the reliability of Robin engines, but they look pretty decent on paper. I've never had one so don't know for sure. Generally I try to buy the best I can get, but that attitude puts extra strain on the bank account :(

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57893

Did a little research and found out that Subaru makes Robin engines. Subaru makes good engines. I am gonna give this model a try. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57894

kwschumm, Thanks again for the heads up on the Coleman pressure washer. You saved me about $130! I just got done ordering the unit. $749 for a 13.5 hp, 3500 psi, 4 gpm, unit with a 50 ft. hose, and 4 nozzles is one heck of a bargain. Even if it is a cheapie, I would have nearly double that otherwise. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-17          57896

That does sound good I might get one of those colemans too. As for subaru's if there anything like there cars they're good. We have a 96'wagon that just won't quit we use it very hard. The wife is a lead foot and red lines it quite a bit. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-17          57902

Chief, I'm glad to help. Hopefully it will do everything you need it to do. Let me know how it works out! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-18          57919

Will do. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-19          58034

kwschumm, I got the pressure washer today. Put it all together, added oil to the engine and pump, assembled everthing and it started on the 2nd pull. Makes awesome pressure and volume of spray. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the Robin engine. Had the appearance and materials every bit as good as a Honda and ran reasonably quiet. Has a huge muffler on it. Gas tank hold over 5 gallons. It came with a stainless Italian made wand, 8 spray nozzles, 50 feet of good looking quality hose, 10 inch wheels and pneumatic tires, and pretty fair quality manuals. It has an AR brass pump which surprised me. They are fairly good quality pumps and have a good reputation. They delivered it to me in 2 days via Fedex Frieght. I got the Bill of Lading # and ran it with Fedex and contacted the dispatcher to let them know I would be home and coordinate a pickup point. I met the truck driver out in front of my house with the tractor. The washer came banded to a sturdy pallet which also impressed me! I was expecting a tore up punctured box that had been thrown around. It was in perfect condition . The driver pushed the box and pallet which was around 240 lbs. into the loader bucket with his pallet jack, I secured it with a rope and off we both went. Both happy campers. I ran it for about a 1/2 hour to break the engine and pump in under low pressure. The only thing I don't like about the unit is that it has no throttle for me to throttle the engine back to cool things off when I am done. I hate to shut an air cooled engine down from wide open throttle. Other than that, I give this pressure washer the "Tractor Point BEST BUY 5 Star" rating! ;o) It is not the top of the line but for the money spent, it is a really nice pressure washer. Stateline was a pleasure to deal with as well. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-19          58038

Wow, I didn't know that unit had an AR pump. I've never seen that mentioned on any of the ads. You sure got that unit fast - my ProJet hasn't arrived yet. Does it have adjustable pressure? I hope it treats you well for a long, long time. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-19          58040

Yes, has adjustable pressure. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-22          58141

kwschumm, Just a follow up to the follow up. I have put about 3 hours on the pressure washer so far. I changed the oil in the engine today since it was looking dirty and very fine metalic particles suspended in it. I cleaned my 4410 with it today and it works great!!! I will put a few more hours on it before I change the pump oil. The engine starts easy (usually with in 2 pulls. The hose, pressure wand, nozzles are all very good quality and work well. Heck, I have been looking for things to pressure wash around here! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-22          58146

Chief, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive :( I'm still amazed that they shipped yours for free using Fedex freight. Wow! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-23          58182

Chief, my ProJet washer arrived today. Here's a review.

It arrived in two boxes via Fedex ground. The biggest box contained the CAT pump attached to the Honda GX-270 engine and mounted to the frame base with wheels already attached. The smaller box had the handle, oil, hose, wand, and hardware kit that had the six nozzles and attachment hardware required for assembly. It was all well packed.

I looked for manuals and didn't find any - a call to ProJet confirmed I should have received an envelope with manuals and startup information and they said they'd ship them to me.

How hard could it be to assemble and startup? Bolting the handle to the bottom frame with the four supplied bolts, nuts, and washers was very straightforward. I then had to attach the quick disconnects to the pump and the hose. The pump end was already wrapped with teflon tape but I needed more teflon tape to attach the disconnects to the hose. Since I couldn't find the tape I have (it's here *somewhere*) it was off to the hardware store to buy some. Once all the disconnects were attached everything snapped together.

I had no instructions on the pump, but it has a sight glass on the end and the oil level was up to the line so once I removed the pump vent tab labeled "remove tab for operation" I figured it was all set to go.

The Honda engine was shipped dry so I needed to fill it with oil. It had two oil fill caps which was sort of confusing. I went online and downloaded the engine manual from Honda's web site. One of the filler caps was for the engine and the other was for the transmission. Transmission? Not sure what that's about. I added a quart to the engine filler and then cracked open the transmission fill cap and some oil seeped out. Since it seemed to have oil already I proceeded. Set the choke, open the fuel shutoff valve, set the throttle to 1/3, one pull on the starter and it started right up. I was impressed!

I only ran it for a couple of seconds since it wasn't hooked to water yet. My first job was to wash the deck. I moved it around to the deck, hooked up the water, and started it right up. Man, I love this thing - it did a beautiful job, and is much quieter than the Karcher I used before.

The hardware is top-notch, chromed steel wand, big beefy connectors that connect with a "snick" sound that just exudes quality, beautiful machine work on the pump (and it's a pretty anodized blue color!), sturdy frame, smooth pneumatic wheels with zerk fittings, a nice flexible 50 foot hose with built-in stress reliefs on each end, and a trigger assembly that is a work of art and incredibly easy to control.

Complaints are few. It came with a hose that was stamped 3000 psi, but the washer is a 3200 psi unit. I called ProJet and they said the hose had a burst rating of 12,000 psi and would work fine with the unit. That didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, but it is covered by the warranty so I let it go - for now. I will contact the hose manufacturer and verify this information. The unit has a larger footprint than should be necessary so it's a little cumbersome to move around (especially up the stairs to our deck). The cart has no built-in storage for the wand so it just lays across the cart anywhere it fits. Lastly, they really should have shipped the manual set with the unit. I get the impression that ProJet is overwhelmed by their web sales and is really trying to staff up and service customers at the same time.

All in all, I really like this unit. The five year pump warranty and two years on everything else gives me a lot of confidence that this unit will do everything I need it to do for a long, long time.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-26          58401

kwschumm, just checked the Stateline Power web site and the Coleman Pressure washer you gave the heads up on is out of stock! Must have been a popular item. Again, I can't thank you enough for giving me a heads up on that pressure washer. It is GREAT machine and does an outstanding job! Already done my first engine oil change. Only takes a quart, cheap insurance. Works great on the 4410. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-26          58406

I'm really glad it's working out for you Chief! It did seem like a good deal. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-28          58490

just got one today , It's a 6 horse honda powered 2750 psi 2.5 gal per min. unit that came with 5 nozzels. used it today for about 3 hrs cleaning the cedar fence, seems to be great for what they consider a premium residential model, for just under $500.As I sit here typing the wife is outside spraying everything in site, so I got go stop her before she blows the windows out of the house????????? see details at www.xr2750.com ....

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-06-30          58569

Hi Plots,

I went to Home Depot and bought the same one you got the XR2750. It came in a box, and needed only a few things to put it together. When I read the operators manual I was shocked when it says the machine was bought on a "Final Sale" basis do not return to the store if you have a problem.

So quess what I had a problem with the pump filler plug. It says to remove the red plug used for shipping or hot oil could be sprayed at high pressure causing serious injury. You need to put in the Black Plug attached.

So I unthread the red one, which fits real nice, and I try to put the new one in. Now I am real careful. I check where the red plug threads out from and I match up the black plug to the same spot, I thread reverse to find the the exact spot it threads, but it is real tight, in fact when I look at the red plug and black side by side it looks like the black one may have slightly coarser threads.

So the black plug gets cross threaded and won't seat flat.

So I am thinking... am I losing it, I thread the red in and out 5 times no problem. I monkey around with the black plug to see if I can get it to work no dice.

Heck, now I am not happy, I take it back to the Depot, they give me another Box. Now I am the most paranoid Black plug guy around. Hmmmm I study the red and black plug looks like the same deal as before, not sure that the threads are right.

You guessed it they cross thread a second time.

The box is on my truck, and ready to go back to the depot. I called Devilbiss the manufacturer and I was on hold for a half an hour on this before I gave up!

Interestingly I have not found any info on when and how to add oil to the pump which is a AR (Anori Reverbi) .

So I looked into the biggest power equipment shops around here and they are either out of stock too expensive or don't have the Honda Engine.

At this point I am not about to order this from an internet site where I cannot return it.

I am thinking about buying the Commercial Excell 2700 from the Depot so I can bypass the Black plug and get a better pump. This one costs 697 for 3gpm and 2700 psi. What you think, at least I can return it if I keep my receipt.

Check out the plug in the attached pix or pix 5 to the right. Plots was yours assembled? Did yours thread OK? If you did not put it in and some store jockey did it I would be concerned that it was just hammered flat and could pop out when you least expect it. The red line in the photo below is the plug I am talking about. The little bag attached to the red plug has a picture of a plug with a dipstick attached which is way it would be if it was the next model up the 2700, on the 2750 there is no where a dipstick could go.

Picture Link
Home Improvement Best Pressure Washer for Father s Day

View my Photos
chuckles

2003-06-30          58601

Well I brought the second one back, and bought the commercial grade 2700 with the crankshaft pump, and the heavy duty Honda 6.5 engine. The black pump plug one has a real dip stick and the threads matched the red plug perfectly and screwed in first and second time sweet.

Aw the pleasure of spending 200 bucks extra. It is a joke that these washers come with a 25 foot hose though, with that short of a hose you have to be super careful not to be blasting the washer with spray. Now off to get an extension. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-01          58636

Chuckles, my black plug went right in no problem.seems to be a fine machine, but like you said extra bucks probley got you a better unit. best of luck with it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-02          67820

Just a follow up on my pressure washer. I have used it for about 20 hours so far and it works great! I have done 2 oil changes on it. (probably over kill) The 1st oil change showed the expected fine metalic particles and the 2nd looked much cleaner. I changed the oil in the pump yesterday and I am glad I did. It was really dirty looking oil that came out with the expected fine metalic particles. Any of you who purchased a pressure washer recently (Ken) may want to take a look at changign the oil in the pressure washer pump. My pump called for straight nondetergent 30W oil. I purchased some 30W air compresser oil at Walmart to do the change with. Ken, I can't thank you enough for the tip on the pressure washer. I still have not seen them anywhere for near that price. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-02          67822

Glad your PW is working well, Chief. I notice that Stateline Power still is out of the PW deals you got. Looks like you ordered just in time.

I probably have 10-12 hours on mine so far. The pump on mine has a six year warranty and it never mentions changing the pump oil, but I'm sure that's a good idea. It's a CAT pump so I'll use CAT oil in it. I'll probably change the engine oil after about 25 hours or so. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login