Go Bottom Go Bottom

HELP Cannot get the blades off my finish mower

View my Photos
Craig
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-04          5722

Help! I have a 5' King Kutter finish mower(3 blades) and cannot get them off to sharpen them. I put a breaker bar on the bolt and hold the blade and the pulley turns with the bolt without the blade. I cannot seem to find a way to hold the pulley. What am I doing wrong? Any easy way???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AL JOHNSON

1999-07-04          5724

jUST FINISHED SHARPENING MY BLADE ON A 5' WOODS AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. i GOT OUT MY 24" PIPE WRENCH AND USED IT TO HOLD THE PULLY. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-07-04          5726

Try placing or wedging a length of 2 x 4 between the blade and a strong structural part on an available edge of the deck. Do this for each blade. You may have to do the same thing with the block on the opposite side when tightening after replacing the blades. If you use an air compressor of sufficient capacity driving an impact socket wrench the wooden block will generally not be required. In any case, Be Careful. ....

View my Photos
Bruce

1999-07-04          5727

an air operated impact wrench will spin the nut without turning the entire blade if you don't have one, a tire shop will probably be your best bet ....

View my Photos
al

1999-07-04          5729

there are two ways to do the job, air powered tools are very usefull and will do the job with minimum sweat, take it from me i have done this job for 13yrs on both a bolens 17hp tractor and my NH 1520. the other option is to use a set of car ramps and sharpen the blades on the tractor without removing them, i have not tried this, just heard of it.use it at your own risk.the air compressor and impact wrench are the easiest, and you can balance the blades when you have them off, i use anti-sieze compound on the bolts when i put them back on, they come off much eisier the next time.good luckal ....

View my Photos
al

1999-07-04          5730

there are two ways to do the job, air powered tools are very usefull and will do the job with minimum sweat, take it from me i have done this job for 13yrs on both a bolens 17hp tractor and my NH 1520. the other option is to use a set of car ramps and sharpen the blades on the tractor without removing them, i have not tried this, just heard of it.use it at your own risk.the air compressor and impact wrench are the easiest, and you can balance the blades when you have them off, i use anti-sieze compound on the bolts when i put them back on, they come off much easier the next time. you can also use the air compressor for blowing the grass and dust off the tractor and inflating tires etc...good luckal ....

View my Photos
Kevin M

1999-07-04          5731

If you don't have easy access to air tools give the bolts a good shot of WD-40.Then go out and buy a set of vise grips which have a chain attachment for gripping pipe (unless you already have a set).By the time you get back the WD-40has soaked in. Simply attach the "chain vise grips" on the pulley and with a good socket wrench the bolt should come off. I would strongly recommend wearinga good pair of leather gloves while doing any work on your mower deck. ....

View my Photos
Norm

1999-07-04          5732

After struggling with this myself, I bought an inexpensive impact wrench JUST for this application. You don't need a high end ingersoll - Northern carries one with their name for about $35 and a set of no-name sockets for about $18. You will probably find, as I did, that once you have this set up you start finding plenty of other uses for it. ....

View my Photos
EZ

1999-07-05          5741

Jacks tip with the 2x4 has worked with me on my KingKutter and Caroni. EZ ....

View my Photos
Bill

1999-07-05          5743

Had the same problem with my 6 ft. Woods mower. Holding the blades with a piece of wood after a generous dose of pentrating oil worked. After the blades were sharpened I used heavy grease on the bolt threads before re-installing. This made it a lot easier the next time. ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-07-06          5761

Had this problem with numerous mowers. Always start by securing the mower at a safe angle. I have used 5gal buckets to prop up the back of the mower, with the top link connected to the tractor. As someone mentioned, you can use a handheld angle-grinder and sharpen them on the mower, but it can be a tight fir if you want to do both sides of the blade. If you have 1/2 drive socket with a breaker bar (18" or longer), this should work on most. Make sure you are turning it the right way also. I have worked on one that was setup backwards from the blade spin. The impact wrench is the next step. If you don't have an air compressor, you can get an electric impact wrench. This should hit the nut hard and fast, without spinning the blade or pulley. If it is still stuck, get out the sprays, and use anti-seize before replacing them. ....

View my Photos
Todd

1999-07-09          5840

Had the same problem, bought myself an impact wrench, now I wonder how I ever lived without one.ToddAnd use anti-seize ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login