Go Bottom Go Bottom

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
Chuck from CT.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-09          3604

An adjoining property owner as aprroched me about buying a 4 acre parcel of abanded pasture land. It's been neglected for about 12-15 years now and has developed a dense growth of brambles and 1-3" saplings. I'm thinking of the purchase if I can reclaim it. I know that the sickle bar mower on my Kubota 2850 would balk at even thinking of doing the job. Would these rotary cutters some of you people mentioned be able to handle young trees this large. Or is there some other attachment that would? I'm not looking for an overnight reclamation, but, hopefuly after several years of knocking it down, it will be ready to seed, Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-09          3613

I mowed about 8 acres of heavy brambles, chest high weeds, sticker bushes, etc.with a 4' Woods rotary mower, (bush hog). I used a B1550 Kubota (17 hp) and itwent through it very easy. When I got to some small samplings, less than oneinch I just mowed right over them. Anything larger I went back with a chain sawand cut it even with the ground. I wasn't sure if the thicker samplings woulddamage the rotary mower or not and did not want to take any chances. A big concern that I did have were finding hornets nests in the tall weeds, scared thehell out of me but other than jumping snakes, rabbits and groundhogs the rotarymower worked fantastic. If the weeds were extremely tall, in some spots theywere next to tall trees I would back the rotary mower in and cut. I was realimpressed with my woods mower. Good luck. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-09          3617

'Not sure of the size of your tractor, but the material is definately mowable. It's easiest to ride the tractor up and over the doomed tree. As another post said, go back and cut the tree off even with the ground or you are asking for flat tires later on.Lee ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-09          3624

I agree with Lee and Stanly. Mow what you can with a rotary cutter. You will be surprised at how fast the pasture grass comes back. As for the larger saplings, I would wait until the leaves are off this fall and then cut them off as close to the ground as you can with a chain saw. No bigger than they are the roots should rot in a couple of years and the stumps should come out without much effort. If the stumps bush up in the spring hit them with Roundup and wait a couple of weeks for the roots to die before you mow. If you have a loader on your tractor you can try to push the lager trees over. Depending on soil conditions, etc., they may push over and uproot. Simply put the loader bucket against the tree and ease in. If the tree topples, fine. If not, use the chan saw. Don't abuse your equipment by ramming trees or stumps with your loader. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-09          3625

I agree with Lee and Stanley. Mow what you can with a rotary cutter. You will be surprised at how fast the pasture grass comes back. As for the larger saplings, I would wait until the leaves are off this fall and then cut them off as close to the ground as you can with a chain saw. No bigger than they are the roots should rot in a couple of years and the stumps should come out without much effort. If the stumps bush up in the spring hit them with Roundup and wait a couple of weeks for the roots to die before you mow. If you have a loader on your tractor you can try to push the lager trees over. Depending on soil conditions, etc., they may push over and uproot. Simply put the loader bucket against the tree and ease in. If the tree topples, fine. If not, use the chan saw. Don't abuse your equipment by ramming trees or stumps with your loader. I don'y know how you feel about trees but you may some desireable species among your volunteers. Would not hurt to have someone who knows something about them advise you on what should go and what are worth saving. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-10          3650

Yes I do have a loader, as well as a frame mount backhoe, york rake, log splitter, sickle bar, and a grader blade. My Kubota 2850,I believe is 30 H.P.,with a 28 H.P. pto.. I really enjoy the extra hydralic controls for the rearimplements. It's really a time saver to adjust the hydralic top link(angle of attack)and swing the rake or blade without leaving the seat. Thanks again forthe responses. If I can get my neibor down a couple thou. I will jump on it. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
AL

1999-05-11          3703

i maintain 27 acres woods and pasture, i have a NH 23hp 4wd with loaderthree inch saplings i just push over with the loader, lift the 5 ft bushhog and drop it on the tree, turns them into toothpicks quickly, no problem for meor the tractor no noted wear on the hog that i can see. if the ground around the trees is a little wet, roots and all come up and i gring them with the hog also. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
AL

1999-05-11          3704

i maintain 27 acres woods and pasture, i have a NH 23hp 4wd with loaderthree inch saplings i just push over with the loader, lift the 5 ft bushhog and drop it on the tree, turns them into toothpicks quickly, no problem for me or the tractor no noted wear on the hog that i can see. if the ground around the trees is a little wet, roots and all come up and i grind them with the hog also. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3722

AL-How do you deal with the same size (2-3") saplings that are growing out of a stump? ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
Brent

1999-05-12          3743

If you want to get roots and all, back up to the tree with a landscape box lowered all the way to the ground. Ease the back edge of the LS box into the treeand at the same time raise the box up. You will easily pop 2-3" saplings out of the ground. I have a loader on my tractor and the box works better than the loader. ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-13          3778

You guys need to try a Brush Brute. It's an attachment that fits on your loader andgrabs the trees. You drive up to the tree, and pull it out, roots and all from the groundand pile it up and burn it all. Stops regrowth from the stumps. A small tractor (MF135)withhydraulics can pull out almost anything under 2 inches. I've seen them used on alder thicketsthat you can't even walk through. Faster, easier, better job, and a lot easier onthe underside of the tractor than driving over 2 inch trees. And loader work ismore fun than mowing anyway!Big G ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-13          3788

Sounds interesting. Ideas as to where it can be found and cost? ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3842

I've been away a while. You have a backhoe huh? That is the way I'd go for trees of this size. Get a good grab around some roots around the bottom and give'm a good pull. Two or three grabs ought to lift the whole mess out. I've also put a chain up as high as I could reach for leverage and drag the tree out. I do this where I can't get a mower. Rootless is better than any kind of stump, but mowing/sawing is faster. It depends if you want to put up with the stumps until they rot out. As far as regrowth - I mow several times a year. It takes care of them and they usually die by the second season.I guess I'm saying here is that there are several ways, depending on your stituation and what you want to put up with when you are done. Lee ....

Brush-Smalltree removal

View my Photos
Rob

1999-07-25          6284

Big G: I've been looking for an item like the Brush Brute for some time. Where can I get more info. on one. Need to pull Weesatch and Mesquite in South Texas.Regards. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login