Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-08          27889

I have a TC33 with a mid mount mower. Unfortunately I also have a backhoe. To change between them requires the entire mower lift system be removed, then the hoe frame brackets installed. Of course the opposite procedure must also be preformed going the other way. It's a pain to say the least.The Mid mount does an excellent job. I'm considering a rear mount 3ph unit to rectify the dilemma. Can anyone tell me if the quality of the cut will degrade, and to what degree.Thanks in advance for the help.V.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-05-08          27893

Vincent,

I have owned both a belly and a 3pt. mower. The downside of the three pnt. is the possibility of the tire rows showing up a day or two after you mow. I have a Woods RD7200 (rear Discharge) that isn't a High VAC deck. A High VAC might do a better job of pulling the grass back up after you drive over it so it gets cut.

My belly mower did an excelent job, but the Rear Mount is much better for going through ditches etc (at least on my tractor due to poor clearance between the mower and tractor frame.) I would have to say the Belly had a better finished look, but not enough to bother me.

The short of the story is I now use the 3pt. due to the ease of removal etc.

Mark ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2001-05-08          27897

Thanks Mark..I never considered that it might be a problem. But I do remember the NH salesman bringing it up now that you mentioned it. Seems like the quality issue is no big deal.

V.

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-08          27900

I switched from a 46" cut riding mower to a 60" King Kutter 3ph mower behind my TC29. Only once have I noticed tire rows from the R4's, and that was an evening when I was mowing late and it frosted that night. Two days later one could see distinct tire rows. But since the weather has been good and the grass is growing a little better (still dry here in WV, though), I'm very pleased with the quality of cut. I didn't want to sacrifice ground clearance with a belly deck.
Bill Mullens ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-08          27905

It might depend. I would much rather have a belly mower for my JD 755. I have a 60" King Kutter 3ph. I do see tire rows but I can live with that because where I am cutting is not my house lawn, but a rougher lawn down by the road. However, my main gripe with this particular brand is that its mounting linkage allows it to move side to side a few inches. So, I cannot really take advantage of all 60" or it will leave uncut strips. :-( :-( :-(
I am in the studying phase of modifying the linkage to take out the side to side movement while keeping the up and down movement.
Secondarily, trimming around things, and manuverability, is much better with a belly mower. But, if I were in your shoes, it sounds like I would go with a 3ph deck.

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-05-08          27919

Don, take alot at the Woods RD7200 setup. The bottoms links allow it to float freely, yet do not let it move side to side much at all. They are also real easy to hook up to your tractor with the floating design.

Vincent, I did forget to mention that if you are mowing around alot of trees etc the Belly mower is more convienent, but the 3pt one isn't that bad either, you just need to be more attentive. And the Rear Discharge has no side chute to tear off (As eventually most people tear theirs up, took me 5 yrs, but I finally did mine.)

Mark ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Matt Kramer

2001-05-08          27921

I have a very bumpy field my 3 pt. either gouges or misses in these bumps, I really hate when that happens...:) I also do not like the tracks either. and I espically hate it when the grass grows back after I mow it. but after using a hand held si (geeese public school) to mow it the first year, I am willing to put up with life's inperfections, epsecially when they are mine.
Matt ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-08          27924

Vincent, your belly mower and backhoe subframe incompatibility is very common. I'm not badmouthing other brands here, but one of the reasons I bought a JD4400 was that the 48 backhoe was compatible with the belly mower. The Deere 4000 series were the only new tractors I could find in which the frame-mounted hoe was compatible with a belly mower. A potential buyer should be aware of this if it is an important consideration for them. ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-09          27966

While a belly mount is convenient for going around things like trees, if you have very many large trees (especially evergreens) you may find that the 3pth type has one huge advantage, if you back the mower deck under the tree you can cut right to the trunk without actually putting yourself and the tractor under the tree, dry pine needles down your neck can take most of the fun out of the process. Best of luck. ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2001-05-09          27967

I've heard the newer 3pt mowers with high vacuum decks and floating design do a much better job. Closer to belly mower quality.

I guess my wife is right, I'm being anal here. If you saw my grass you'd probably recommend a tiller instead. LOL

In any case, thanks to all for your informed comments. Keep em' comin'.

Thanks!

V.

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2001-05-09          27968

I've heard the newer 3pt mowers with high vacuum decks and floating design do a much better job. Closer to belly mower quality.

I guess my wife is right, I'm being anal here. If you saw my grass you'd probably recommend a tiller instead. LOL

In any case, thanks to all for your informed comments. Keep em' comin'.

Thanks!

V.

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2001-05-09          27972

Sorry for the double post.. ....

Mid vs Rear Mower

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-09          27973

The King Kutter is a full floating design and from that standpoint it does very well. The problem is that it floats side to side as well. They could have eliminated that with a better linkage. I don't know why they allowed it, I can't see any benefit from it. I assume they did it the cheapest way.

-Don M ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login