Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO shaft overlap required for rear mower

View my Photos
charlieK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-02-27          177071

how much of the 2 halves need to be together(when hooked up on level ground)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-28          177075

This is one of those questions that has never successfully received one unanimous answer. Some folks say 6" overlap is sufficient, others say as much as 50% of the overall length. Sometimes the choice has to do with personal preference, sometimes with unusual hitch geometry. I'm towards the middle, cutting mine to a 33% overlap.

There's been nothing unusual about the geometry on the last 6 tractors I've owned, so my procedure is pretty consistent. Start on level ground, remove the PTO shaft completely, and connect the mower to the three point hitch. Measure the distance between the tractor PTO output shaft stub and the ground. Start the engine and use the hydraulics to raise the hitch. Stop at a point where the mower transmission input stub is the same distance from the ground. Measure the distance between the grooves in the two stubs. At that height, this is the shortest distance there will ever be between the two stubs. Raised further or lowered to the ground, this distance will increase. That's why the shaft has to expand and retract. Too short, and it will come apart. Too long, and it will likely bend/break something.

With that measurement recorded, pull your shaft apart into its two halves. Note that they have push buttons or bolt holes on either end. That's where they grip onto the grooves in the stubs. Position the two halves overlapping to the point where the push buttons/holes are the same distance as your earlier measurement. Ideally, you want to see half of one shaft overlap half of the other shaft. This constitutes a 33% overlap (based upon overall length). If there's more than half overlap, cut an equal amount off each shaft (and cover) to achieve that. If there's less than 33% overlap, I personally consider the shaft too short for that particular tractor/mower combination.

And remember; measure twice, cut once.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-02-28          177087

Also depends on how much torque will be transmitted -- whether a small mower or a wide tiller. And on how much deviation from straight-and-level your operating will be. More overlap than required is better than less than needed. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2011-02-28          177097

thanks for the replys--my outer shaft(1/2 the total length) is 21" and i wound up w/over 9" mated on level ground---am satisified--the finish mower i bought had a little over 3" mated and i thought that's not safe!!!! PTO shafts aren't cheap--$287 plus tax at TSC ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-02-28          177102

Too much. Try AgriSupply: click below

//greg// ....

Link:   PTO shafts

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-01          177116

"... PTO shafts aren't cheap--$287 plus tax at TSC...."

Well ya for a five footer, but I just got a replacement there for a hundred and change.

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2012-06-23          184003

HI!

I need to cut my PTO shaft for my manure spreader--when hitched to the tractor the shaft does not shorten enough to be able to slide it on to the PTO output-shaft. What is the best tool to use to cut the metal shaft (I have never cut one before)--a sawzall? hacksaw?

Would the same "30% rule" hold true for the length of the shaft for a manure spreader? I only need about 1/2 inch, but was going to take off about 2 inches.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-06-24          184009

If your metal-cutter is a hacksaw, that will do. File the cut-end true and beveled. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-06-25          184025

Any bi-metal blade will do, it's pretty soft steel. 2" may or may not be enough. The shortest the tubes compress is when the implement is raised to a point where its input stub is on a horizontal plane with the tractors PTO output stub. Above or below that horizontal plane, the tubes extend. Take your measurement at the horizontal, and then subtract another 2" to be on the safe side.

But remember, this shaft will then be cut for safe operation of the spreader. It may no longer be suitable for any of your other implements. Each of my PTO driven implements has its own dedicated PTO shaft.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-06-25          184031

On manure spreader doubt this could be an issue but if the implement is such as some mowers that do allow some flip up to follow the ground you need to allow for that also. ....

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2012-06-25          184034

Thnks guys for the feedback. I used a sawzall and it cut with no problems--I thought it would be much harder steel.

Thanks again! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login