Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mid-mount or rear mount finish mower

View my Photos
Elkoboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-15          16319

I have decided upon a Kubota B2910 and one of its uses will be run a finish mower. I am having a hard time deciding on whether to get a mid-mount mower or a 3 pt mower. From what I've read here mid-mounts are easier to use and don't require one to look behind, but are usually harder to get on and off than a 3 pt. Of course on the other hand the 3 pt is quite a bit cheaper.Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to one or the other? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-16          16334

You will need to consider a few things, and decide what is most important to you and your situation. Following what you have already stated, a 3pt can be positioned into tight spots or corners, obviously a mid mount is limited to where the tractor itself can go or fit into. But a mid mount does not add length to your tractor. This can be important to consider if you have tight spots to turn around in. I'm sorta torn over which is easier to remove. Personally, I think my JD4100 midmount is easier to remove than a 3pt would be. A midmount will provide an extra margin of safety on a hill. The mid mount will allow a 3pt to be attached at the same time. Etc...etc....
Its really your call on this one. I'm sure others could mention about 100 more situations where each kind is better or worse. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-16          16338

This is a good question. Since I'm waiting on parts to put my mid mount deck on my new, used 855 I found a 6' landpride finish mower for the rear. If I could mow at or even half the ground speed I was with the mid mount mower I would sell the mid mount, but the ground speed is very slow only because it leaves a slight strip of grass right behind the right tractor tire. which is in the center of the right blade on the mower. When I back up to mow it does not leave any trail in the grass. Now keep in mind I'm cutting 2" of grass off and not 12" Any thoughs
Dana Trumpp

View my Photos
Donald

2000-05-17          16342

I bought my TC29D with a mid-mount mower and loved it for mowing anywhere the tractor could go. But... it interfered with my 3pt hitch, was hard to remove, blocked the underside of tractor, reduced ground clearance & was generaly a pain in the # when doing any other task. So I returned it for a 60" Land Pride FDR-1560 - And it's GREAT. I don't ever miss the mid-mount. Rear mount is a piece of cake to connect or dis-connect & I can mow closer to objects. IF... I were buying a tractor for say 70-90% mowing then I would have kept the mid-mount maybe, but I finish mow only about 20% of the tractors' use. Donald ....

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-05-17          16351

Dana - are you mowing with the uncut portion of grass to your right? Due to the direction of rotation of the blades, this should lift up any grass the tractor tire pushes down. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-17          16352

If I understand you right, the uncut grass is on the left side, mower discharge chute is on the right side,I even put new blades on it, why the left tire track does not bother is beyond me,mower model#AT2572 ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-17          16355

Dana,
I think what Darryl was saying is that your rear tires are forcing the grass lay in the direction of your travel. Then, when your blades come along, the one side is lifted due to the blades traveling into or against the direction the grass is laying. On the opposite side, the blade is traveling in the same direction the grass has been laid down. Thats why..when you are in reverse, the problem is corrected. Because you are reversing how the blades approach the grass. This point adds to the "vs." list. As more tires trample the grass, the slower the travel/mow speed. I would think sharp blades will help, but not cure this problem. Guess this is also why those 0-radius landscape mowers can travel so fast. The blades are in front of the mower tires. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-17          16369

OH I GET IT NOW. I can be dence at times. I even understand it to. My tire are in the wide possition,I'd really hate to put them back to narrow because I'm always on such steep terrain I'm affaid of rolling it, Darn near did it once scared to _ell out of me,Don't want a replay! A Thought- if I put rake teeth behind the tire just above ground level do you think that will work to stand the grass back up? any other idea's
Thanks

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-18          16392

Dana,
Leave your tires in the wide position. While it is true that a wide tire will pronounce this problem, Tire stance has little to do with what is actually taking place. When you mow, the grass which passes under your tractor tires is trampled down which makes it lie in the direction of travel. In other words, when you look behind your tractor, the grass blades within your tire tracks are leaning over...pointing at you, not straight up in the air like they were before you can along. The rake idea would only drag over top in the same direction, thus pushing the blades in the same direction for yet another pass. 1st=front tires, 2nd rear tires, 3rd rake. Short of having this rake powered to rotate in the opposite direction, which will push the grass blades back into the verticle position..it really wouldn't do much. You mentioned that the right side is affected, which means your cutting blades are rotating in a counter clockwise direction. This is where a rear discharge mower excels because the blades are rotating in opposite directions to eject the grass between the blades. Whereas a side discharge, the blades are rotating in the same direction to eject the grass out one side. The only way around this situation..using a side discharge more like you have, would be to some how re-position the mower off to the left side, in which the path of the right tire would remain unmowed. Relying on your second pass to cut this portion, similar to a haybine. The left side of the blades will be rotating in the proper direction to lift the grass and therefore cut it. Hope this makes sense.. Its kind of hard to explain. ....

View my Photos
Brad Sauter

2000-05-18          16393

I have a Kubota B2150 that I bought used with 65 hours and a Kubota 60 belly mower. The deck did a great job cutting but got really beat up in the process and I hated having the thing hanging under the tractor. If I used it for only cutting and I had a smooth yard I would have liked it. But I went out and got a King Kutter 60 inch 3 pt deck new for $750 last fall and it's been much more convenient for me. I take implements on and off all the time and working with the loader is better without the belly deck. It's really personal preference and the type of work you do. ....

View my Photos
charlie

2000-05-18          16402

i own both.they both have advantages and disadvantages.the mid mount is a 60" 914b new holland and the rear mount is a 916 72" new holland.the 914b that i bought 2 years ago when i bought my 1530 was recalled by new holland for some major modifacations and never preformed right afterwards.i complained to the dealer and factory rep and after a year of waiting the factory replaced it with a new designed deck.they used a the componets from the old deck.the new design is like a kubota and the cut is amazing.i owned a kubota between fords for a short period and never really cared for anything about it other than the preformance of the mower.that's just my opinion fella's,if you like your kubota that's great.the rear mount works well except in tall grass it will leave a small strip on the right side in tall grass.again in my own opinion,i think one reason other than to fast ground speed could be that it is on the discharge side.if you think about it in heavy mowing there's a lot of debris under the deck.could it be that maybe the clippings are pushing the grass down along with the rear wheels.lets hear about that theroy.have a good day. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-18          16412

Michael, My tractor is 54" wide at the side walls- the mower is 72" wide there is not enough travel in the 3 point sway bars to get the mower past the tire, but the next time I use it I'm going to see how far I can move it and see if it helps any.
Thanks Dana ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login