Go Bottom Go Bottom

Woods finishing mower noise blade replaced

View my Photos
hayley3
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-17          142986

Hi,
I had someone remove the blades from my Woods mower so I could have them sharpened. When he put the blades back on, the mower seemed fine. After an hour, (I was gone) it started making an awful noise and he said that the piston is damaged. He put the blades back on with an impact gun. Is there anyway to damage the mower by putting on the blades or could it be a defect? I only have 20 hrs on the mower.

Thanks
Susie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-17          142987

Your Woods mower has a piston? What type of mower is it? ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-17          142988

Oops, I was just coming back to say BEARING not piston!

It's a Woods rear discharge finishing mower. RDC54 ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-17          142990

If the bearing is sandwiched between two surfaces clamped together by the blade attaching bold it could have been damaged but I'm thinking that's probably not the case. I'm not sure about your particular mower but some bush hogs take quite a bit of torque to properly tighten blades so an impact wrench could be the tool of choice. It does seem quite the coincidence that the failure occurred shortly after the sharpening though. Is it a sealed bearing? ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-17          142992

Thanks. I don't know if it's a sealed bearing.

Also, a few weeks prior to that he ran it at 2500 rpm and it says the max is 540 rpm. Would that have caused a delayed damage effect?

I'm not trying to blame the guy, I just don't want egg all over my face when I take this in for warranty service. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-06-17          142996

First off, if he ran the tractor at 2500 RPMs that would amount to about 540 RPMs at the PTO (mower). No damage there.

Second, I'd take the blades back off and check each blade for damage. Sounds like he may have hit something and not telling you about it. ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-17          142997

I looked in my tractor manual and the 2500 was actually for the mid mower which I don't have. So what he did was, he put the PTO gear shift lever in the 960 rpm slot when it should've been the 540 rpm slot. You could hear the mower blades were moving faster. The tractor man said not to use that, so now I'm wondering what the 960 rpm is for?

Sorry I don't know much about my own tractor, but I'm learning. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-18          143001

Hayley3,

Depending on the implement you're using, you may have to run it with the higher RPM speed.

Most implements here in the U.S. are designed for use with a 540 RPM PTO. However, you have the option of choosing from other implements that may operate better at the 1000 RPM PTO.

Had you run your mower at 1000 RPM for an extended length of time, it is possible that a slightly unbalanced blade may have taken out a bearing. It is also possible that the grease you use is not suitable for such high revolutions. This could have created a tremendous amount of heat, which will also destroy a bearing.

Disconnect the mower drive belt from the mower and turn the blades by hand, individually. If you have a bad bearing in one of your blade drives, you should be able to identify it.

If you cannot identify the bad using this method, it is quite possible that you may have a bad U-joint in the drive shaft, or a bad bearing in the gear box, instead.

Let us know how things turn out.

Joel

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-18          143005

On top of Joel's good advice, I would add, even a fairly short time cutting heavy or wet grass at double the speed would be very hard on the quill bearings (those that the blades spin on) since the load goes up exponentially when you increase the speed the bearing is turning.

The PTO is gear driven off the transmission, since there is rarely a seperate gear set, engaging the PTO makes BOTH output shafts spin, so if the mid-PTO is meant to turn at 1,000 rpm then the rear one must also, but the intention is that 1,000 rpm is for the mid-PTO and 540 rpm is for the rear PTO.

BTW, most 1,000 rpm implements are designed for fairly large power demands, although if you're careful, you can use the 1,000 rpm setting with the engine running at 1/2 PTO speed to power very low power demand items that are meant to run at 540 rpm, we routinely run things such as PTO-powered blowers at 1/2 engine speed and 1,000 rpm PTO setting, the result is that the blower is turning 540 rpm, but the engine is not racing.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-06-18          143018

Depending on the noise, you may find you have loose bolts any where in the system or even the deck bent into a blade, plus as has been pointed out a blade bent into the deck. As Joel said, turn by hand and you should find it.
So your tractor has lever that lets you select more than one PTO speed...sure would consider blocking that if others will use your tractor unless you can educate them as Murf is talking about on speed. Wonder just how far a blade could fly if running twice as fast as it is suppose to? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-18          143021

Kenneth, I don't know how far a broken blade will fly, but I do know how far a half a golf ball will fly when hit by a bush hog blade......

And at 500 yards it still had enough energy to break the window it hit.

:(

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-06-18          143023

Not sure why Murf's golf ball made me wonder, have you check the grear box to be sure of the oil level in it?

BTW Murf, have know of a piece of wood doing about the same. Sure messed up the car door it hit at least a 100 feet away. No EW, I was not on either end. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login