Go Bottom Go Bottom

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-10          96135

I'm almost squirming in my chair in anticipation. About two weeks ago I ordered a 1903A3 Springfield from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). When I got home yesterday the FedEx note was hanging on my door saying they tried to deliver it but being a gun, needed a signature. So today I get to go home at noon and wait for them to come back.

The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve the U.S. military. It's purpose has changed a bit in 100 years but you can still order directly from them. Most of the guns they sell are Springfields and M1 Garands.

There are some qualifications necessary to order. I have a C&R (Curio and Relic) federal firearms license. Or you have to show recent marksmanship (targets from a qualifying shoot).

I just think that in today's anti-gun environment, being able to buy a gun directly from the US government is something I couldn't pass up. Plus I've always wanted a springfield. :-)

Link:   Link to CMP

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-10          96137

KEWL!!!! But does this mean we have to call you "LongBore" or something instead of ShortMagnum from now on?

ROFLMAO ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-10          96141

Longbore could become an alternative registration name for me. The one I post with could reflect whether I got lucky the night before or not.

The subject of the CMP came up here earlier this summer which prompted me to look into it again. Plus it's my patriotic duty. ;-)
Dave ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-09-10          96144

Neat. We have both a Springfield and a Garand that were inherited.

I guess you know that the early serial number Springfields aren't safe to use with modern 30-06 ammo.

The local gun club used to have High Power matches; if you competed in one, you could then buy a rifle from the CMP. Sadly, it has died out over the last few years. In fact, all markmanship (rifle and pistol) seems to be on the decline, at least using match participation and gun club membership as an indicator.

Have fun with your new rifle.

Bill

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-10          96149

Shortmagnum:
I read through the link and am interested in the program. Will be curious about the condition of the rifle. In their information, they list that the firearm will be definitely used and could be in good condtion to non-fireable. It also looks like you need to be a member of a gun club. How much are the rifles? ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-10          96150

Bill, some of the earliest '03s had brittle receiver steel. I think that these were made in or close to the 1940s so that's not a problem. The CMP has to sell shooters. I'll think about a Garand next year. My buddy has one he got through the CMP a couple of years ago and it's deadly accurate.
Dave ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-10          96152

Yooper, here's the link to the 03A3 description and pricing. I think the non-firing guns are the drill (parade) guns that you can also buy. On this page is a drill receiver for $10.
Dave ....

Link:   1903 sales

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-10          96159

I was reading further in the link and see the rifles sell for $400.00 and shipping is $20.75. I can get a 1903 in good condition at my local gun dealer for $495.00 and an 1903A3 for $695.00. I didn't know if you get a price break if you are a registered marksman/shooter. In my case without an FFL I'd have trouble getting one of these unless shipping to a dealer. I'd like to know the condition after you have received it. ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-10          96164

YooperPete, the CMP mails (yes..US Mail) directly to the buyer. There is no need for an FFL.

The CMP's 03A3 and 1917 Enfeild were reviewed by Gun Test magazine in the latest issue. They got a fine, accurate Springfield and a dismal Enfield.

The Springfield's are coming out of military arsenals while the Enfields are returns from the VFW where they have been shooting blanks at funerals for 50 years with no cleaning.

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-24          97164

Yooper asked about the rifle's condition. The wood is well used. It has plenty of dings in it. It's kind of neat in that someone with the same initials as me carved them into the stock. I would call the wood condition "good." The steel looks really good. I would call it excellent There is no rust under the handguard or anywhere else. The bore is bright but probably a bit worn. I get about 4" groups at 100 yds. I wish the precision was a bit better. The only bullets I could find were pretty light at 150 grains. I will try a heavier bullet to see if that helps but I'm not expecting alot of improvement. We'll see. ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-27          97259

Shortmagnum:
I was skeptical about what condition the rifle would be in. Sounds like you got a good weapon. The dings in the stock add character and make you wonder where it has all been.
Was considering purchasing one. I try to limit myself on how many gun purchases I make in a year. Couple months ago I picked up an NEF 17Mag. Last month I found a Winchester 30-30 model 94 (lever action) in my barn complete with scope. Figure its been there for about 35 years. Its in perfect condition and assume only been fired a few times. These last 2 guns will keep me occupied for a while. ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-27          97261

Yooperpete, the New England Firearms (NEF) rifles are some of the best rifles for the money. The single shot is foolproof and they seem well machined. I found a Whitetails Unlimited NEF with laminated stock a few years back that someone had won at a banquet and traded in. It's been my favorite rifle since. Four of my friends have since bought various versions of the handy rifle.
Dave ....

Springfield is coming

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-27          97263

I'm a little disappointed in the finish of the NEF rifle. Was shooting when it was very humid, didn't clean or wipe it that same day and the black oxide finish has developed a little rust already where my hands contacted the steel.

I've found that you can't shoot anything but the Hornady brand of 17Mag if you want accuracy. If you shoot CCI hollow points point for instance they drift all over. If you shoot on a windy day, good luck! I may get an additional barrel later chambered in the 22Mag and compare. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login