Go Bottom Go Bottom

An Unwelcome Visitor on the Front Steps

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86579

The shovel won.

Pic #9

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86580

Looks like 9 rattlers and a button? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-22          86586

I didn't think to count. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-22          86589

Looks like dinner to me! ;o) ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-05-22          86597

DRankin, Nice job! How the heck did you get that before it struck? Those suckers are pretty darn fast! I saw a video of one striking a ballon, popping it, and then striking it a second time before the remnants hit the ground. Do you have many of those in your part of Nevada? We have some dens of Rattlesnakes left here in New Hampshire but, because of their scarcity the state Fish and Game department keeps their whereabouts a secret.
Keep up the good work!
Dave ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-22          86621

Dave, It was already dead.... well, mostly dead.

That funny turn the body takes in the picture about 4 inches down from the head is where I whacked it with the shovel and severed the body with only a chunk of skin holding it together.

Not only that, I didn't take the pictures for nearly an hour and it was still rattling weakly and trying to bite!

It's only the second one I have seen on my land in 5 years. One on the front steps, and one on the front porch.

When I buried it about 90 minutes after I "killed" it it was still moving, opening it's mouth and unsheathing it's fangs.

Tenacious? I don't think I want to dig it up and check. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-24          86721

You shoulda ate him. When I got my jungle training back about 35 years ago, I got introduced to the fine art of cooking snakes over a campfire. They're good! Stick some branches with a "Y" on each side of the fire and have a cross stick to make a rotisserie. Skin him, chop off the head, split him open and wrap him around the stick. Baste with a little butter if you have it. Texture is slightly stringy and tastes almost like chicken breast. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-24          86729

A grocery store here (Adams) had frozen rattlesnake a few weeks ago. Nope - couldn't get the wife to entertain the notion of cooking them. Yooper - thanks for the recipe, I read it off to my wife. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-24          86733

I wanna know what he was doing out in the jungle with a stick of butter in his pocket.....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-25          86774

Like I said, butter is optional. Actually, the fire was most often optional as well but that doesn't make for a good recipe. Fire also brought some unwelcome visitors (VC by the hundreds). ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-25          86778

Yooper, it's funny how the fire drew the VC into your position.

My father used to deliver fire (Napalm) to them, he said they always ran AWAY just as fast as those little rubber shoes could carry them.

Maybe it was just your cooking that they were coming for.

LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-29          87166

GEEEEZ!! Another one!

One week later.... to the minute!

Picture #10 ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-29          87172

DR, do you have these snakes angry cause you are driving that RTV900 all over their property? Maybe they are out to get you! :) ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-05-29          87176

Man DRankin,those are some serious snakes. That one looks like a good 3 ft. and a nice gerth on em too. What do ya do with em? Any thing with the skin or meat? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-29          87178

She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed as declared the interior of her abode a serpent free zone. This includes any and all serpent products. I just bury them.

This one looked like it had a recent good size meal on-board.

Two years ago we had a rather rude Gopher snake give birth right close to the house. You would not believe how small a crack or crevice those babies could wiggle through.

This is NOT a scenario I wish to repeat with baby rattlers.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-31          87329

Mark, I'm told that they make a device like those ulta-sonic rodent repellers but they give off a much lower frequency, probably sub-sonic, that is geared towards repelling snakes. Since snakes depend on hearing and vibration to detect prey they are kept well back.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
btakeda
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-07          87935

Hey DR - my computer let me view the pic where your post sezs "the shovel won" -- but I don't see any of the story. my computer won't let me view the 2nd pic (awww) Hopefully this is the end? no more snakes this weekend? Bt ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-07          87939

I need to send you a new computer.

I tip-toed around all day saturday..... but the only thing that rattled was the change in my pocket. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-06-07          87942

There have been some copperhead sightings on my property lately. Next time I see them I will try to get some pictures. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-07          87948

DR
If you won't eat them, you should try selling those snakes. There used to be a shop called "Rattlesnake Jakes" in Keystone, SD (just outside Mount Rushmore) in the tourist trap area that sold skins, fanges and rattlers. He had a real nice shop. ....

View my Photos
rattler

2004-06-07          87979

You could always test your faith with them. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-07          87999

Thanks, I already did that.

For fifteen years I walked some mean streets and nasty alleys and dealt with people meaner and more treacherous than any snake and I have the scars and lumps and broken bones to prove it.

We can discuss it further if you have the backbone to come out of the bushes and say who you are. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-20          88938

Drankin - my wife & I are laughing are sphinksters off ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-06-20          88987

DRankin
I here ya on walkin some bad streets. Funny though how one shepard brought into a situation changes the attitude of a fella that was going to KICK 3-4 of our butts a minuit earlier.
I am petrified of anything that sworms and has a stinger. I can handle snakes (I see you can too)!
I will be on the tractor next weekend (shivering with fear) I have to cut anouther field and get it turned over.
I busted into a ground hornets nest last year while rototiling but was in a air conditioned cab of a skid steer
They were quite mad, and I would hate to see what would of happened if I was on the New Holland open to the elements.
Good luck with your snakes. (Ps) you have those real mean bees down by you dont ya? Brrrrr I hate summer!!!!!!! I got goose bumps just talkin about it! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login