Go Bottom Go Bottom

Suds

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          78016

Just tapped a keg of Fuller ESB. About 10 years ago I made 200 gallons of beer and drank it all in 1 year. The best part is my wife likes beer, and after a few, you can talk her into buying more tractor attachments. Anyone here like beer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Suds

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          78022

I LOVE beer, but since starting the low-carb diet six months ago I haven't had much. Michelob Ultra just doesn't cut it. It's no fun living in the microbrew capital of the world and not drinking beer :(

I've taken to having Jack Daniels when I want a drink, but usually that's not more than once a month or so.

What is Fuller ESB, a bitter? ....

Suds

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-26          78023

Yeah, its Fuller Extra Special Bitter. We have a good beer distributor nearby and the Culinary Institute of America students recommend different beers to him. Our standby's are Sam Adams, Bass Ale, Saranac Pale Ale. But this Fuller's is really good stuff.

I stopped the beer for a while and lost weight. Now I'm trying to work off my pot belly (its huge) on a treadmill. It will take many years of exercise to get back in shape (if ever). ....

Suds

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-02-26          78026

I had Fuller when I was in London a few years ago, it was great when it was hand pumped from the tap.

Dennis

Suds

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-26          78027

I'll bet the Fuller was served at a warmer temperature also. I like it at either temperature. I really enjoyed attending the beer festival in Burlington VT a few years back. There were a ton of good beers to sample there. One of the best beers I have had was something called "Braveheart", but not sure who makes it. ....

Suds

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-02-27          78056

Just saw on the news that beer, in moderation, has beneficial qualities for the heart, much like the well known benefits of red wine. The brewers want to label their product to include the food value and vitamin content but aren't allowed to. Political correctness. After all, this stuff is a controlled substance..not food.

Gotta go pour a Guniness stout. ....

Suds

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-27          78074

It's funny but the whole world, at least the civilized part of it, holds Guinness to be the best beer there is.

The truth of the matter is that it was brewed as a knock-off to the original, brewed by John Smithwicks, which started brewing 50 years earlier in 1710. By 1759 it had become so popular that the demand out-stripped production. Arthur Guiness saw an opportunity to fill a need and bought a rundown brewery and started off in the brewing business.

And which ever of Irelands fine beers you choose, proper form and style is important, especially since we're getting close to the day wen the whole world turns Irish, St. Paddy's Day, therefore I offer the following pointers;

1) before the first sip be sure to salute they that poured it for you, the proper way is to raise the glass in their direction and say "Go raibh maith agat", thank you, which is pronounced "Guh rev mah a-gut".

2) next is the salute to your companions, the Irish rarely drink alone, it goes like this "Sláinte, Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!" or "Cheers, and may God not weaken your hand.", which is pronounced "Sloynta, nore log-ee jee-ah hoo."

Gur math a théid leibh. (Best of luck.) ....

Suds

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-27          78076

A couple of years ago, my doctor recommended that I drink at least a glass of wine per day. He went into all the benefits.

I said, "Doc, I am not much of a wine drinker, can I substitute a good single malt scotch?" He told me that he liked the compromise solution and that beer and ale would also be acceptable substitutes. There is some talk about the antioxidant properties of the wine, but it seems that the main benefits are from the alcohol in moderation.

I brew a pretty good Russian Imperial Stout and an India Pale Ale. For storebought beer, there is a little brewery in Shiner, TX. They make a product called Shiner Bock that is very good. You can keep the Budweiser and other American style commercial beers that I have tried. I do tend to like most of the microbrews that I try. ....

Suds

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-27          78077

A plaque in my parents kitchen was inscribed:

I have few good reasons for drinking,
And one just entered my head,
If a man can't drink while he's living,
How the Hell can he drink when he's dead?

Suds

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-27          78087

We have an excellent local brewery nearby in Chippewa Falls WI called Lienenkugels. Unfortunately Miller bought them out and makes Lienies regular right alongside Miller Genuine draft in Milwaukee (some say they're the same). But their specialty beers are still brewed in Chippewa Falls. I especially like Lienies Red and Big Butt, their bock beer. Creamy Dark is kind of a light (very light) Guiness.
Dave ....

Suds

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-27          78089

Mark, after reading your little poem, and seeing my Gaelige up above, something occured to me.

The Gaelige term for 'whiskey' is 'uisce beatha' or literally translated, 'water of life'. Now that's wisdom.

I can recall an old joke I heard often as a child, it goes "Why did the good Lord teach the Irish to make such fine whiskey & beer?".

The answer is "To keep them from taking over the rest of the world."

Best of luck. ....

Suds

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-02-27          78094

I prefer the Stouts and Porters.

I have been buying Yuengling Porter (Yuengling is German meaning 'Young Man', pronounced "Ying-Ling'). But it does not at all taste like a German Beer, it is more economical than Guiness, but close in taste and color, for about $16 per case of 24. Yuengling is out of PA.

Dennis ....

Suds

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-27          78110

I savor a good German Kristal Wiezen bier with a nice wedge of fresh lemon The ice crystals just barely forming! But for my pizza I have found that Miller Milkwauki's Best with a wedge of lemon is just fine. I have tried MANY different beers but this just has a good taste to wash down the pizza and it is $8.00 a 24 can case to boot which makes the purchase even that much better! ;o) ....

Suds

View my Photos
Billy

2004-02-27          78112

Well, since my oldest son works for Budweiser, I guess that's my choice ;) ....

Suds

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-27          78119

The running joke up here about Bud is... well to put it politely, that the Horses are not just for moving the stuff, they 'help with production' too if you get my drift.

I must admit though, I have consumed my fair share of ice cold MGD over the years.... It too washes pizza down pretty well.

Best of luck. ....

Suds

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-27          78125

Dennis, I have heard from PA folks about their penchant for Yuengling. I bought a keg of the stuff but didn't like the flavor so much. Maybe I should try the porter next time! ....

Suds

View my Photos
Peters

2004-02-27          78130

Well they don't sell beer here. I have to settle for Killians Red. It is the nearest you can get to the real hops in this area.
I am afraid I am not much for rice beer, don't care how little a can it is. I am afraid they will have to pay me to drink it. ....

Suds

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-27          78131

They'll make anything out of rice. My wife has taken to drinking rice milk. I examined a rice kernel under a magnifying glass and I'm still not sure how they can milk one of those suckers. ....

Suds

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-27          78136

If they have the technology to obtain moth balls, I believe they can milk rice too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login