Go Bottom Go Bottom

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-14          61857

I just got back from three days of offroad travel in the Utah Canyonlands. I posted a couple of pictures so far.

We were out for three days to do a 105 mile loop where the Colorado and Green rivers come together in Southern Utah. This is the first time that I have really been able to try the Hummer on a good offroad course. It did very well.

I averaged around 20 MPH and 8 MPG for the offroad part. That included some "goat trails" where I had to fold in my side mirrors and the tires were sitting right on the edge of a cliff. During some play time, I was able to coax the H2 up onto a 3 ft tall rock table with all four wheels. I don't have any pictures back from the others in the group yet, but if they got a shot of that one I will post it.

I went along with two other vehicles. One was a Ford Excursion and the other was a GMC Tahoe. Both of the other vehicles made it through the course, but they had some bangs and marks from collisions with rocks. They averaged 8 MPH and also got 8 MPG on the same course.

I was running on point, and was able to hit speeds of 40MPH or so in some parts. The terrain ranged from deep sand, to bare rocks, to "goat trails", to conventional dirt roads. When I would get way out in front, I would stop and walk around a little. We used GMRS radios to keep in touch and they worked very well over the few miles that we were apart. This was one of the best offroad trips that I have ever taken.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-14          61860

Sounds like a great trip! Those pics are nice - I've spent months around and in the Grand Canyon and your pics bring back the memories. I don't think I'd want to be right on the edge of a cliff even on foot. Run into any unfriendlies? ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-14          61861

I never had any problems at all.

I had read a few articles about bears there recently, but did not see any sign at all. It was 107F during the days, so perhaps it was too hot for them. I did not even take the guns out of the truck. We saw a total of perhaps five or six other vehicles in the whole three days.

I set up the ham radio and worked half a dozen stations around the US and one in New Zealand. But, for emergencies, we could get a cell phone signal from any high point. If I wanted to, I could have checked email when it would have taken several hours to drive to the nearest town. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-14          61867

AC5ZO,

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like a fun trip. I am not so sure I would be doing that kinda rock crawl with a Hummer H2. That could be come expensive rock crawlin'. Anyhow glad you had a great time. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-15          61881

Sounds like a great time! Now we know where you've been the last couple of days. I haven't been to the canyon in thirty years, as they said I was to big to ride the mules then but still had a great time. I think I'd rather go your way the next time! ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-15          61904

Chief, I cannot figure out why anyone would buy a Hummer and not take it out and use it in the environment that it was built for. As for the expense....I don't have a boat or other such vehicle, so the Hummer is the best factory vehicle that can utilize the environment where I live. And I can tell you that the adrenoline rush from running over those desert tracks easily compares to times that I have been piloting sailboats with water coming over the bow or riding in a fast ocean racing boat. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-15          61905

AC5ZO,

I can definitely identify with what you are saying. I guess I was just meaning to say that H2 is a really nice vehicle and I would be afraid of putting a dent of scratch in it with the luck I have sometimes. I guess you can't let stuff like that get to you. My dog put a scratch on my Dodge Cummins pickup the day after I brought it home. I was pissed at first but then thought, "its a pickup truck, use it and get the enjoyment out of it". I still try to be as careful as I can. Nice lookin' rig. I don't know that much about them. You posted that you got 20 mpg on the road. Did your H2 come with a diesel? That is great fuel mileage for a vehicle that size and weight. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-15          61907

That's fun, but IMHO the best way to do the canyon is by going down the Colorado river. I've done it four times now. This link has a picture of what to expect - that's my bald head sticking out the top of the raft.

Link:   Ken on the Colorado River

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-15          61908

I averaged 20 Miles per Hour over the 105 mile course and 8 Miles per Gallon. That was in contrast to the other SUVs that averaged 8 MPH and 8 MPG. My engine is a 320 HP 6.0 Liter GMC Vortec gasoline engine that produces the same torque as the GMC diesel used in the Hummer H1. It is very fast to deliver power and you really feel it on your backside when you hit the throttle.

Twenty miles per hour average is not a slow or fast pace. What it means is that I could complete the 105 mile loop in about five hours if I did not wait on other vehicles. To put this in perspective, in the Baja 1000, we average about 40 MPH with our specially built Class 9 race car. The fastest classes average closer to 60 MPH on rugged but fairly open terrain.

The stretch of the Colorado River where we were runs very slow and looks more like a lake than a river. There are still scenic canyon walls, but not like the Grand Canyon. This area is called Island in the Sky. My friends that I met for this trip rafted down to Lake Powell and then came back to pick up their vehicles and do this offroad trip. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-15          61909

EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Ken. Bet you were picking some grit out of your teeth on that ride! LOL! ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-15          61912

I've never done much offroading, but it seems that 20 mph is moving along at a pretty good clip in those areas. I can understand why the others in your group limited themselves to an 8 mph average. It's probably easy in that dry soil to get sideways.

I'd like to do some rafting in the Green-Colorado river area above Lake Powell sometime. First I've got to do the Rogue and the Snake, but the others will come in time.

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-15          61913

You bet. Picking grit out of teeth, ears, eyes, mouth, and every other orifice. When you go down the Colorado you can count on being inundated with grit for the duration. It's a little better early in the season before the monsoons start. Early season water is mostly from the bottom of Lake Powell and the sediment has settled out, but it's COLD 38 degree water. Later in the season when the monsoons start it washes mud from all around the Colorado Plateau into the Little Colorado and then into the big Colorado - the water warms up a little but it becomes very opaque with grit. Yum, Yum. Tasty. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-15          61918

I did a lot of rafting in California. Here are a few that you should try:
Forks of the Kern River (Horseback in with your gear);
Tuolome River (Run during the week due to hydroelectric);
Middle fork of the American River (goes through a tunnel);
South fork of the American;
Merced River.

These run between Class III and Class V in early summer. You can actually raft over Clave Falls on the Tuolome if you feel so inclined. They are about 40 F so a wetsuit is required and they are very steep. The Colorado slopes roughly ten feet per mile and the California rivers I mentioned slope at nearly fifty feet per mile. These rivers are fast but lower water volume than the Colorado. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-15          61919

20 MPH is not a bad average speed for just cruising along. The faster racers in Baja spend a lot of time in the air. I don't think I got the Hummer off the ground at all.

The biggest difference that I can tell between the Hummer and the other SUVs is that the suspension has a lot more travel and the tires are much larger. This of course dictates larger and higher angle CV joints, different ratios and other HD suspension and drive train components. The tires on the H2 are a 315 X 17 and they look very large compared to the other SUV tires. ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-15          61923

Looks like a good time to me :) any unwanted intruders or camp pranks, How many beers per mile ? ....

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-15          61927

Thanks for the pointers to good CA rafting locations!

I don't understand the whitewater ranking system. On the Colorado they rate the rapids on a ten point scale. I have heard them say it's because of the higher volume of water, but not sure about that. It's quite impressive to watch or be in a 38 foot ten ton motorized raft when it disappears into a hole. I haven't seen one flip but I was in one that went nearly vertical once.

Offroad trip to Utah

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-08-18          62063

We did have a good time. We had no intruders in camp other than a few scorpions and ants.

I did not drink much beer this time out. It was 107F and I drank mostly water and gatorade. On Sunday evening, we had a few Margaritas and some single malt scotch. Monday evening, we had a few beers when we camped.

One of the other travelers had a gasoline powered blender that uses a motor from a string grass trimmer. It does a pretty good job of blending those margaritas. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login