Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cutter s cruising guide for member s favorite watercraft accessories

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-04          58838

Well here it is, lets see where this can go!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-04          58849

My current watercraft is a 1987 29' Silverton Sportcraft with just under 11' beam. It is dry-docked (in my barn) this year in hopes I will be able to finish sanding and repainting the hull as well as replace curtains, cushions, canvas and clean up the wiring. Electronics were stolen/wire harnesses cut while in storage at the boatyard, so I am starting over with that business.

I love to sail as well, unfortunately the wife does not take kindly to heeling. I don't care what you drink while on board and these days I prefer a white or red wine. If I am moored, I can be convinced to make my famous "Caesar" to enjoy with the other dock fare being offered.

When I was much younger and working in the construction crew end of our business I used to tell the boys I would rather be out on my boat than with a babe (I was not married at the time). They used to laugh at me, now many are divorced with no boat or babe. I married a woman the second time around that loves the boat almost as much as I do, Win/Win! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58855

I don't (or almost never) drink to excess, so if I sip a bit while under way or at the social hour on the dock it really doesn't matter much. I don't mix the two, it's Caesar OR wine!

That chartering sounds like something I would like. The wife wants a Florida vacation this year and I want Vegas again. We have not had one for a couple years, but now she is settled into her new job and has accrued some time.

I can not sit on a beach all day, need to be active. Can I catch a charter in Key West? She wants to go there, I would prefer somewhere less crowded that offers catamaran rentals and fishing charters along with great shopping experiences. Any suggestions? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-07-04          58862

Well, just give me a 14' flat-bottom aluminum and an ice chest full of beer and put me on the river. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58869

The closest I ever want to come to owning a boat again will be a 16' combo Duck/fishing aluminum boat, maybe with a Go Devil. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-04          58871

Just returned from a trip to Wally World and my favorite restaurant. Wally reduced the price of Shell Rotella full synthetic to 12.95 a gallon, bought enough to do the boat engines. Had a prime rib that was three times what I could eat and washed what I could down with some locally brewed riesling from the Genoa Vineyards.

I never want to be without a boat again. I grew up with them and during the times I have not had one, felt like something was missing in my life. I derive as much pleasure working on it as I do running it. In fact, there is a 60's era 19' Starcraft with trailer, full canvas and Chevy II I/O not too far from me that is for sale. He dropped from $1900 to $1500 in a couple of weeks. It has been stored for some time and appears to be in good shape. I was considering purchasing that one so I could fish until my other one is done. I can probably buy it for around $1200 and sell it for that when I am done with it. It's an addiction actually. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-05          58884

Cutter, I have a freind looking to get rid of a 28' Mohagany 1955 Empress, you wouldn't be looking for a small challage would you? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-05          58893

I spent many a week under my family's 1955 Chris-craft Capri sanding the hull as well as hours upon hours stripping varnish, refinishing and pin-striping the deck. I attend the antique boat shows in the area as well as revel in delight at the sight of the old woodies used daily in the St Lawrence region. But as far as owning one again Art, not until I can afford to hire someone to do the maintenance. But thanks for the thought! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-05          58910

It's not a bad looking boat but like you more than I want to chew, and you would know better then me from the work that you have done in the past. There is something wrong here when we talk of boats and spending the time to rebuild and restore and it is the summer! I thought that was the time of use, not our abuse! ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-05          58911

BOAT MEANS.....Break Out Another Thousand. LOL. Use to own a 20ft BAJA with a small block . Its a real scream blastin up river in the mid 60's but it comes with a big price tag. especially with marina gas going for just under 2 bucks a gallon. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-05          58912

Friends had a 90' wood boat in Vancouver. I was the 30's so not very wide beam. Annual buget on the boat was 200K. I like the look but not the work or expense.

I had devised a method for the manufacture of a wood boat with FG type resistance to the environment and construction times, using a new resin system we had developed. The resin company sold it to another so who knows.

I enjoy sailing more than motoring. The logging camp had an ex PT boat as a crew transport. Personally I can not see moving through some of the most beautiful areas in the works crouching somewhere trying to endure the noise.

I just sold my small jetboat. I am too far from the water at present it never got used. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-06          58949

That is interesting Eric. There are quite a few wooden boat builders out there now, some up in NE still building traditional down easters but with improved treatment processes that prevent rot. I believe Garwood is being manufactured again and uses mahogany treated with resin in some fashion to preserve it, too rich for my pocket.

A friend of mine has a 40's era Chris-craft in the 40' range. I was on it two weeks ago and even the smell of it warms my heart. He retired years ago and works at a marina for pen money, dock ect...He has the time to go after the peeling paint and rot every spring himself, keeps his made of iron hands in shape. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-06          58953

I have worked on some newer resin teak ply boats that were really not much more work than a glass boat. A couple had retired to one in the bay when I was a teen. I sailed it with him a couple of times and helped him bottom paint it a few times.

Worked on some older yellow cedar boats. It is remarkable how long the wood will last in the water. There are not to many even know how to do major repairs the larger boats today. How many people have steamed planking? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-06          58981

A friend of mine bought a basket case Lyman two years ago and finished it this year. He had to steam new ribs into place, a friend in the antique boat club has the machine to do it. ....

View my Photos
boatman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-07          59033

In my part of the country we have many lakes, reservoirs, and rivers. We use welded aluminum jet boats in order to power up the big rivers and also to navigate the shallow areas. Common boat dimensions: 20'to28' in length,6'to 8'bottom width, 7'to 10'beam,single or twin engines(gas or diesel),300 to 500 H.P.(per engine),60 to 200 gallon fuel capacity,jet drive. Please check out the link...enjoy! Be sure to check out the Photo Albums link on the website. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Cutter s cruising guide for member s favorite watercraft accessories

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-07          59067

I have seen that on speedvision and would love to try it! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-08          59125

I don't know how I missed this thread, especially since I was one of the culprits that took it so far off track in the first place.

I'm definitely one of those in the 'stink boat' category, and while we're at we'll throw in obscenely noisy too, LOL. I can't find any pics of the big boat, most of the time I'm inside taking pictures of the scenery going by, LOL. I do however, have a selection of 'water toys' for the smaller inland waters up here (picture # 5), I like to be sure I have something for whatever I encounter, so I regularly travel with a pair of sea-doos, one 3 person cruiser, the wife's 'cadillac' and my 'death trap', and a sea-doo jet boat for the more genteel approach to shredding water.

The big one is another story, 42' of Reggie Fountains finest work, a Lightning, powered by a pair of big block Fords that started out life as truck engines and became 504 c.i. fire breathing (gas gulping) dragons pushing nearly 700 hp each. With a top speed 112 mph, and it will happily cruise between 55 & 80 mph depending on sea conditions.

The wife loves almost everything about it, the two things she doesn't like, 1) WOT and 2) the name, it's called "Bikini Bait" .... I gave her two choices, it was either name it that or "New Wife", she didn't like the inference so gave in..LOL

There is a 24 bottle wine cooler on board, usually full of white.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-08          59133

Yeah Murf I was wondering what happened to you. I thought maybe you got lost on the lake. I nearly bought a 31' Fountain CC with twin 250's a few years back. Fountain boats are incredible. I think I was going to call it "skirt Chaser". It was a fishing boat after all ! Nothing like a little trolling down the beach :) I test drove it on a incredibly rough day. The ride was nothing short of awesome for a 8' beam. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-08          59175

I would love a Fountain! I remember when he produced his first mass marketed units, red or white I believe. Powerboat Magazine was testing them against the better known offshore rigs each year and they were always in first place in the running/rigging/handling categories. The were quite spartan back then, built for the "average" guy that wanted to race on weekends, all you had to do was shell out about 50k for a 12 meter. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-09          59192

I lived in Florida for most of the 80's and the DEA used some pretty slick fountain boats. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-09          59195

Yeah the Miami patrol zone (which includes ALL of the Bahamas by a joint defence agreement) is a plum assignment for those DEA folks, the have some VERY neat toys in their collection, not the least of which is a fleet of custom designed, now factory models, called the Interceptor and the Patrol in 27' to 47' lengths, open or closed station.

A few of us run around the Islands as a group and have been surprised by patrol units a few times, they have airborne radar units which hand off targets to on-water units for follow-up 'visits'. It's kind of disconcerting the first few times, they approach at full speed and close fast, armed to the teeth and ready for anything that may happen, and backed up by Blackhawks that stay on station until they get the all clear.

Doc, I can relate to your 'trolling the beach', when we go back across to Miami (or any other port in the southern US) the entrance is usually a grand one, especially at the right time of day or night. As we rumble into the bay the sound of the motors bring out ALL the local talent, sometimes it's pretty tough to keep an eye on where you're going, LOL. My wife (thankfully) thinks it's all very funny and doesn't mind at all, in fact when I have guests on board she rather likes watching the expression on their faces as the girls start to parade by.

Unfortunately I only got a few weeks in this year to health problems, I should be able to go back this winter, but my days of solo cruising are gone and my wife isn't to happy with anything over 60'ish mph, especially in big water, personally, I think 6' to 8' seas are a good excuse to play, and at 65+ you don't even feel the waves, you're running crest to crest only.

Mind you the little jet is pretty fun in the surf too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-09          59201

I used to be based out of Florida, I had a house in a canal subdivision in Boca Raton, but after we had our first 'driveby' shooting in the intracoastal and my next door neighbour had his back window shot out, we decided it was time to leave. My (second) wife was born and raised in a place where shooting was a normal occurance after dark (and sometimes before) and she vowed never again, and besides that she was encountering too much prejudice to be able to stay there any longer.

We moved to Nassau about 5 years ago and have never thought it was the wrong decision. We float around the islands about half the time and stay at our place or with friends on other islands the other half.

We visit different many places, including the Keys, the ocean side of the everglades is kind of neat too, just like being a million miles from civilization. We are also fortunate in that being Canucks (boat is Canadian registered too) we have no problem with visiting Cuba either, on a nice day La Habana is less than two hours from Key West, and we regularly visit Varadero (the tourist destination) or Siera Morena (an isolated fishing village, REALLY friendly people) as well fairly regular trips to Jamaica, etc.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-09          59202

I've spent a fair amount of time in Nassau. I think when crack Cocaine came out several years the whole state of Florida took a big one on the chin. A lot of nice areas went right down the crapper. But then our whole society seems to have been taken over with the me first or I'm more important mentality. I have avoide Jamaica for some reason but have heard a lot of good things from friends. I could go for a Cuban Sandwhich and a cold soda right about now. Do any fishing ? Lots of good reef fishing in your area, not to mention the Flats. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-09          59205

My wife wants to retire in North Carolina, I think you boys have it right! Just go for a criuse and enjoy yourselves. I say St Thomas and no jackets or warm clothes! We could visit our home freinds during the windy season and when it gets cold head home. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-10          59230

I really like NC. I owned a lot on the outer banks for a while as a investment. Been there many times and like it more each time I go. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-10          59239

While I was in the service stationed at Ft Eustis and then later at Ft Bragg gained some freinds in Sea Level and used to do a lot of weekend partying there. We would come in in the morning and go empty the nets for my freinds dad, get to bed about 10:30 in the morning and get ready for the next nite. Used to do it about every other weekend. It was a lot of fun back then. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-15          59532

Cutter I found you a wood boat for sale at a good price, although you might need millions to go cruising like John Wayne.
Concerning cruising areas Desolation Sound in the Georgia Strait in summer is hard to beat. The water in the sound reaches 80 degrees for swimming. The Sound is in an Island that is in the migration route for salmon so fishing is good. The scenery is hard to beat similar to Switzerland. And there are great cruising side trips like Princess Lousia Inlet, Narrow Inlet etc.
Diving is also some of the most spectacular in the world although can be treacherous in currents.
This was a favourate haunt of the Duke until his death. The German aristocracy (former Kaiser) has spent the summers on his island since the 30's. Arnold S. built a monster house near the strait.
Is this what you were looking for Cutter?

Link:   Wood Boat

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Cutter s cruising guide for member s favorite watercraft accessories

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-15          59535

The Duke had a converted WW II mine sweeper in Newport Bay and if memory serves she was called the "Wild Goose".

There was a sister ship to her down at Dana Point called the "Nesco II"

I don't remember the exact footage on those boats but the were big enough to land a chopper on the rear deck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-15          59562

You know, that's less than 1k per foot US, a real bargain. Thanks for the vacation link Peters, I will research it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-16          59581

Mark, I remember seeing that boat before about ten years ago in a Mag called Robb Report that I normally pick up as a wish book in airports. At the time I thought it was quite a boat. It certainly wouldn't go thru our canal system here in NY so I crossed it off my to buy list if money was no object. I want to say it was around 250 foot long. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-16          59641

Art I don't think the Wild Goose is 250'. From what I remember it is more like 120'. John Wayne would stop at the dock for provisions and fishing tips in Secret Cove Marine on his way up to the sound. I had a high school buddy that worked the warf. John Wayne was certainly treated everyone with respect, even if you were just the dock urchin.
I only saw the Cowichan once or twice when it was still active. It was on the government pier at low tide so I was above the boat, not beside like the Wild Goose. It is a bigger and faster vessel. Did you look at the stainless V12 in the second set of pictures? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-16          59644

The Wild Goose began duty as a mine sweeper in 1942 and service in WW2 for the Canadian navy. Now where's Murf with that info ?!! She is 136' with a 25' beam and is still active as a part of a luxury fleet of charters yachts owned by Hornblower cruises. She docks at Long Beach Ca. For those who would like to see detail photos, floor plans and virtual tours you can log on to www dot hornblower dot com. If anyone has any JW signatures or memorabillia they would like to sell please contact me first. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-21          59890

It's still to big for me, but it is some boat! Maybe in my next life!?:(*&% ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-21          59902

While I do kinda like those big shiny stainless V12's the closest I get interest in a boat that big is sheer admiration for their largesse.

I am a 'stink boat' lover through and through, HOWEVER, anything that exceeds a power to weight ratio of about 5:1 on the wrong side of "Faster Daddy!!!" is of little fascination to me.

Mind you though, I do really like those big cruise ships, the wake they throw is impressive, so is the result when you point yourself at them and push those two big chrome levers forward a ways....

Of course I do get told by the "Second Mate" that this activity is another thing which is DEFINITELY "SBA" (Sports Bra Approved)... Ahoy there Matey, brace for impact!!!

ROFLMAO, Best of luck.

BTW, Doc I was in your 'backyard' this weekend, a friend and I took his new boat for a shakedown cruise, we ran from the tip of the Bruce Peninsula here in Ontario over to Alpina Michigan, what gorgeous country that is up there. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-21          59911

Murf, If you would have run just a little further past Rogers city to the Refuge Harbor you would have been setting at the main gate for my property. I assume you were just ahead of the Port Huron Mackinaw Yact race. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login