Go Bottom Go Bottom

How bout the Commander in Chief on the USS

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-01          54124

Lincoln!?!?! Now all we need is to get some media coverage of GW riding a John Deere tractor! ;-) He looks like a John Deere man! What do you guys think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-01          54135

I guess I am not in favour of million dollar press releases. It is nice to welcome home the sailors but I guess I think he could have found a cheaper place or way to do it. At 55K per hour and the added security that is about what it cost. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-05-01          54137

Hats off to all those who are that Carrier!

In terms of cost, since a carrier is pretty isolated, it was probably cheaper than any other public speaking engagement, like going to NYC!!!

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
slowrev
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-01          54141

The troops have my full support. But I think W's appearance was just a taxpayer funded campaign spot.
Just my opinion though.

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-02          54144

I see it from the troop level. Any time the BOSS comes out and gives me a pat on the back for doing a good job I appreciate it. Even if he is only showing off for the VIP's that are visiting.

He is saying THANK YOU to our TROOPS and he wants all of them and us to know it. It means a lot.

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-02          54153

Wasn't that GW on that John Deere tractor, rolling over some Dixie Chicks CDs ;)

Billy ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-02          54157

As I remember W was a mediocre campaigner at best, but he has matured into a great leader.

So I prefer to think this is a 'real guy' who genuinely cares and since he is doing so well he must be leading and not campaigning. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-02          54158

Dixie? I thought it was Ditsy Chicks.

What can you say about someone who thinks appearing on a magazine cover naked will prove their patriotism?

Glad I don't have to prove my patriotism. Last time I went to the beach some Eskimos showed up with little boats and harpoons. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-05-02          54160

I was sitting on the 12th floor of the World Financial Center when those crazy $%^#!!! blew the WTC up with that Ryder Truck full of explosives in the early 90's. I could see the people waving for help, I felt the explosion, seeing it on TV is one thing, but being there is another.

I am real grateful and happy with what has been done and what is being done about it.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-05-02          54161

A while back I saw a news clip from Crawford TX and there was a JD tractor in the background on the President's ranch. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-02          54164

I voted for GW and most likely will again. I think he's doing a pretty damn good job. A lot of people want to blame him for the economy but it was already headed that way before he took office. The way I look at it is, it goes in cycles.

Billy ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-05-02          54167

The decisions that were made 5-10 years ago are influencing today's economy. No matter who was in office during the magical internet/technology wonder years, the economy would have been great. Now that the bubble has burst, the current administration has to pick up the pieces.
I would like to believe that the President's appearance was mostly to show appreciation for the troops, with the benefit of being for publicity.

My own non-expert opinions.

Bill ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-02          54183

A very good, long time friend is (was) on the Lincoln for two tours. He now has signed on agin, however for land duty,( the incentive plan was fantastic). When ever we talk, he always points out when there have been celebs or high ranking officials on board for a visit, and how it boosts the TOTAL morale. Yes it costs the country alot of bucks for the visit from "W", however, after being gone for so long, with so many missions...that is what they ALL need !

Let us welcome them ALL back with honor!

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-03          54212

I have one son out of the navy for almost two years and a marine out for several months waiting to get back in at the same rank he departed. I was extremely upset and nervous when we had a president and first lady in office that despised the military most of the time my boys were on active duty. I don't believe a dollar figure can be place upon the value of a true Commander's visit to his troops, those that just risked their lives for the country.

We paid the families of the 911 victims an average of 1.2M I believe. The dead soldier's family receives a meager life insurance settlement and monthly benefits that would be referred to as "poverty level" by those that play with numbers. Our values are mixed up in this country at times but it is still the best there is!

Go George W! Support those men and women in uniform, I don't mind paying that bill. Nothing wrong with riding a J/D around the farm either George, especially one of those old made in America models. You could even test the latest lawn roller construction techniques discussed on Tractor Point to see how many "Chicks" albums it would take to resurface the road to the ranch. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-05-03          54214

Let's put this in perspective. One Tomahawk is 1.5 million dollars. An image for the world to see of a strong, determined leader taking an active role with his military...priceless. How does anyone count the PR that this has generated as anything but brilliant. It just adds to the image burned into the terrorists minds that we mean what we say and will put a boot in your... if you mess with us. Some would doubt if that is the image we should portray, but I would say that it blasphemes the meory of all those who have served and given their lives and appendages in service of this country not to continue a strong tradition of defense of freedom. War never has been PC as long as it has been around. But no one can doubt that correctly done, it has had a major impact upon keeping history on decent tract to ensure that there is a future for the freedom loving peoples of this world. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-03          54243

Well I can see why we will run a huge deficit again and my kids will have to pay the bill.

My prospective is a little different than most, I guess I would have been upset being delayed on ship away from my family rather. I am not too impressed with politicians taking up my time to tell me something I already know. T. Kennedy's staged announcements for DOD at American Optical grounds were I worked did not make me add him to my Christmas list.

The Tomhawks cost 600K from what I read. Even at this it seems like a lot of money to deliver a 1000 lb conventional war head. Not exactly what they were designed for. Knowing the technology I was not impressed.

I did note that the USAF did not employ many cruise missles and had the B52 and B2 dropping conventional bombs with new guidance noises and tails. A lot more cost effective solution.

I guess we can chalk their use up to interservice rivalries. Despite new technology somethings never change.
I understand that we are ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-03          54255

No doubt we get our share of BS from your run of the mill politician Eric and I certainly would not have been excited by the visitor you entertained at your plant either! Something about the "character" issue that follows me wherever I go and is included as one of the filters in my choice of friends as well.

I suppose we could look at the $1.5M figure as the cost PLUS delivery charge for the missile. Kind of like those 99 cent CD's that have the $4 delivery and handling charge. If we could get the gov't back to basics and spend only on defense, border patrol and transportation infrastructure we could hand our children (and us) the other half of their paychecks to keep, but that will never happen either. It boggles my mind that this state is in a financial crisis, so what is the solution the legislature comes up with??? Why raise taxes of course, and they still piled on the pork projects to boot! I could never figure out why I have to pay for a sports stadium so a millionaire can use it to make money to pay his team more millions of dollars. The one nearest me was built at taxpayer's expense a few years ago, has lost money every year (that we must make up) and now the state is going to fund another one the next town to the west, unbelievable.

I'll get off my high horse now, sorry for the outburst. I must learn to keep these opinins to myself. ....

View my Photos
JFarms

2003-05-04          54258

Those who said W's appearance boosts troop morale are 100% right. And I think they'd be excited that he landed in a jet on their flight deck. It shows confidence in them and boosts the morale of all armed forces knowing the President supports them. He supported them by seeing them off to the war, and remembers them when they return. Another example of his leadership to all of us. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-04          54268

Cutter the manufacturing cost of a printed CD and Jewel case was about 50 cents 10 years ago. I am sure it is less now as the cost of production has decreased. It is probably closer to a quarter. It can not be much as they had them out as promotionals with out the Jewel case.

It is one of those things that leaves me baffled, kind of like Reganomics. The cost of production decreased substantially with the introduction of CD’s but they charged more than vinyl at the Music store. When collecting records I averaged about 5 dollars each. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-04          54273

No doubt it is directly proportionate to the salaries of the artist/recording companies and associated expenses. Then again, no other industry that I can think of has a dedicated 24 hour channel (MTV) promoting their product. Around here it is included as part of ANY base cable/satellite package, small wonder as most people would not actually pay for it otherwise (we are seeing some of the result of children that were raised on unlimited MTV these days as well) . I still have the old 8' dish and select what I want to see/pay for during the limited time I watch it. Fairly cheap for H&G, Speed-vision, Sci-fi,Discovery, (C-SPAN is free) and still much for free if you know where to look and happen to need your daily fix of serial TV. I still have my box of old eight tracks and player in the garage, perhaps when I find that old muscle car, they will find their way into it for nostalgia purposes. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-27          55697

I think this was the classiest move the President could have ever made. Our troops deserve the moral boost and the visit and the respect. I am proud to be an american every day day but that was one of those rare moments that truely left me in awe and thinking, man not only was that smart, it was the right thing to do. Maybee someone more talented could make a composite photo of GW driving that JD over those Cd's. It sure would make my wall light up ! ....

View my Photos
beetle

2003-05-27          55732

I agree 100 percent with what Harvey stated above and the majority of the posts here, well done GW! There are not to many leaders today that show that kind of support to the troops, we do, however, have a whole bunch of critics that I would love to put on a plane and sling shot there butts off this land. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-27          55740

Hey beetle I have at least 50' of heavy duty surgical tubeing to donate to that cause ! lol ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-27          55744

It is good to have a president that understands, a little about the sacrificies made in the military.
I am also aware that he needed to fly out to meet the carrier if he wanted to welcome the whole ship's company. The flight wings leave the ship some miles out from shore as the carrier is most vulnerable to sub attack near port and the jets can not fly off while the carrier is in port.
Nice press play if we can afford it. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-27          55771

Some men are born great, some men achieve greatness, and some men have greatness thrust upon them. Although I support this administration I believe GW is amoung the latter.

(was really pulling for John Mccain) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-28          55783

Homedad, I certainly have to agree with that. GW sure put thise boots on in a hurry when the time came. In the last few years I think we have seen several people who were somewhat obscure like the Mayor of new York emerge as True American Icons and leaders. Who can over look even the every day heros though that would coin a phrase like "lets roll" while determined with their lives to prevail.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -Thomas Paine.

I personally would like to thank every US soldier both current and from the begginning of our country for the sacrifices they have made to allow me the freedoms we may take for granted every day.

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-28          55820

Very true on both counts. But it sickens me to watch our soldiers and sailors die for freedom faster than the politicians and courts can take it away. Sooner or later people have to wake up and smell the coffee before it is banned because it could be unhealthy. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-28          55831

It is difficult to determine if the most dangerous threat is terrorists or the lawyers. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-28          55833

I know the thead is about the Commander in Chief but I must mention the Secretary of Defense Don Rumsfeld, this guy is unbelievable. If our country ever produced a better secretary of defense, I don't know who it was. This 70 year old millionare I am sure has better more self indulgent things to do. I for one am glad he chose to serve.
I guess that's what I like best about GW is he built his administration out of some of the best people we have. Metaphorically speaking, Like the church steeple it sits at the top and looks fancy and can be seen at quite a distance, but it's the underlying structure and the people within that make it possible. Amen ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-28          55836

I thought "politician" and "lawyer" where synonyms. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-29          55850

Me Thinks the most dangerous threat to America is: A LIBERAL with a cause...

Hopefully we can keep enought good people there to hold them back. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55855

Did any one catch the recent cover and article about GW on the cover of "Cowboys & Indians" ? I missed that issue and I was just wondering if there was a picture of GW on his tractor in that article. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-29          55930

How about Slick Willie. He wants to amened the Constitution to allow more than two terms as president. Guess who that would benefit. Too bad we can't limit it to two terms per immediate family and eliminate Hillary. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-29          55936

Cutter , Although I understand where your heart is at, I believe that will eliminate GW's second term. That is the problem with new laws and amendment changes they sometimes sound good, but can come back to bite you. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55938

You mean you honestly think Hillary is going to unseat GW ? Good god lets hope not. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-29          55942

DocsknotInn, cutter said, "too bad we can't limit it to two terms per immediate family" Well his pop already had one term that would limit GW to only one term. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55943

If hillary gets elected I am going to put inflatable raft tires on my tractor and drive to someplace in the south Pacific. I am going to have night mares now ! ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-05-29          55944

Talk about nightmares, can you imagine if she(hillary) uses her interns the way her husband did. That's enough to gag a maggot. I don't think I could live though that impeachment trial without tube feedings. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-30          56046

What I should have said was per household, but then she could move out, can't win. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login