Go Bottom Go Bottom

Jim on Timberridge - Is John Deere Green really JD Green

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-22          36624

Now that Peters brings it up, here is a question on JD Green i'd like an answer to:
My JD dealer sells two versions of JD green in spray paint -- one is for lawn and garden, one is for ag. If i want to touch up implements or my 4700, which do i use? I haven't seen anything that tells me whether JD considers the green on 4xxx's to be L&G or Ag. The dealer just shrugged.
Or do they fill the cans from the same vat?
(now isn't this better than why US-Inc can't compete with Japan-Inc ??)
jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-23          36639

Yikes! Last summer, I saw some rust paint in a hardware store labeled 'JD Green.' I thought about asking the clerk if he knew how close a match it would be on real tractors, but I didn't. Wonder which vat the hardware store gets it from? ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-03-23          36642

Tom, I bought some John Deere yellow at the hardware store. I used it to paint my snowplow. I saved a few bucks but it is definately not a 'match'.
Jerry ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-23          36645

I figured as much, but I haven't seen JD Yellow. JD probably doesn't have or can't get trademark protection for JD. So, anybody if free to use the initials, and there also would be little connection between hardware paint JD colours and the tractor colours.

Of course, since I'm a Ford owner, many people would think that I'd be interested in NH Blue. My 1710 is in its original blue, but many Ford owners memories go back further to when Fords were red and gray. Some toothpaste tubes squeeze out two colours, why not spray paint cans? With the right can maybe I could turn the 1710 out into a piece of N-series nostalgia.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-23          36648

I know you must get tired of me and the trivial tech. information I have collected.
I worked with color matching as most recently on a new polymer system for coated fabrics (artificial leather). This involved color printing with essentually paint and the colour match of the base.
I laughed a I read this post as I figured Jim had opened another can. It is really difficult to match paint exactly and the problems are endless. You can use the same pigments, formulation, solvents, and application technique and still have differences. There are a myriad of reasons why. I have spend nearly a day on a single match and determine that I had metamerization. I had to settle for second best.
I am sure that there is color variation in the green from the factory off the assembly line. Definately between lines .
I have bought JD green from JD and off brands. I think the green I had was a better color match from JD. Your tractor fades so even if perfect to the original it might not match.
I have bought the yellow from JD and it certainly was not the same as the yellow on the wheels. A poor match to my original, but as the tractor was assembled in Japan it might have been a poor match to the standard to begin with.
It is a tractor what do you expect. If you look closely I am sure that the various component assemblies are different colours.
If you cannot match the Lexus from the colour code, how can you get a perfect match out of the can at the JD counter? The Ag counters might be better. At least the JD price is competitive at least from what I have seen. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-24          36674

I guess I qualify as tech info junky, and I never get tired.

I also got pretty good at matching colours when making new wood parts to repair furniture. I did this for fun ha ha and very little profit--also for a very short time. I did discover that a little bit of dye and pigment goes a long way and that there's a lot of variation in pigments right of the tube. Guess that's also why our full colour video boards represent millions of colours rather than 10’s of thousands.

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-24          36676

One of the real problems that we have to day is tranlating colors between media. My screen may have 17 million colors but the not the same 17 million as yours. I send you a green you wil not get the same green on your VDT or LCD. If you print the color on the printer the color is much different.
Like the home developer the color needs to be adjusted but most ink jet printers have no adjustment. You can adjust the print alignment but not the color pallet. ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-03-24          36691

Well, I'm pretty pleased with myself that i smoked out a bunch of fellas out there who are inclined to discuss even something as basic as paint. Or maybe it ain't so basic, given that any discussion of tractors always is aligned by the question: "what color" -- green, orange, blue, yellow, etc.
(by the way, i said "fellas" earlier -- since I'm a newcomer on this website, please advise: are there any participants of the female persuasion on-line?)
My experience with paint is that Deere's brand of spray or can paint is definitely worth the premium they put on it. Case paint is worth the money too; don't know about the other OEM's. It isn't so much the tint/hue/match, but other factors:
1. Quantity of pigment -- 3rd party brands generally have less, and takes more to get proper coverage.
2. UV stabilizer -- watch the cheap stuff fade in months
3. Fixer -- the varnish or polymer system that locks the pigment in place; should be good wetting agents and provide permananent fix on the surfaces.
4. Abrasion resistance. (the do-gooders forced lead out of the formulation, so none of today's paints are as resilient to abrasion)
I've used the "Agriculture" colors ("matches John Deere green") available in Rustoleum and other brands, including store brands from Menards, and Farm&Fleet (upper Midwest). Used them to repaint JD45 blades, etc. They look okay to start; 3-4 years later, they've faded to the point that you can see the old paint underneath and still close to original color.
By the way, I've had my share of problems with factory paint. My 755 started to lose its paint at sheet metal edges after 2 years. The paint just started to peel completely off the metal. No primer is used. The dealer convinced JD to completely repaint the unit, but I had moved on by then to a 955, which never had any paint problems. My 1070 and the 4700 I have now came with paint jobs that were okay, but with finish defects that I insisted be corrected (does JD really have to ship the tractor to assembly sites with parts banded together or onto skids, leaving band marks on them?)
I can never understand the mentality of John Deere or the dealers regarding finish. I fork out $25K for anything, I want it to be blemish-free and first-rate, including the paint. I've experienced dealers with an attitude that it's just a farm tool, so what difference are scratches, rust, etc. Well, if i pay $25K for a Toyota, it damn well better have a perfect paint job, or the dealer and manufacturer will have hell to pay. And they know it. Why should JD or NH or Kub be any different?
or maybe it's just me.
jim ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-03-24          36695

I have purchased JD agriculture green in a spray can from my dealer. Perfect match to my 4100. I have purchased spray can JD green made by Krylon (machinery and implement paint grade) at a hardware store. Terrible match. I just purchased some JD green in a rust-stop enamel from Ace Hardware (store brand) in a 1 quart can. I applied it with my spray gun to a homemade implement, not expecting much. I was surprised. Perfect match, and less than $6 /quart. By the way, Ace also sells JD yellow in the same type of paint, but I haven't tried it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-25          36706

Jim: I'm sure that your question about female persuasion could provide much fertile material for off-colour jokes. Such comments probably are best avoided here however. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-26          36729

JD Green in my life at last. It's sort of ironic that yesterday in the middle of this thread, my wife and I got a package from some friends--gift wrapped even.

It was a string of 20 lights. A bunch of little JD-B tractors that light up and flash. I'm not sure where we'll put them. However, they might be interesting to look but I'll still have to depend on blue to get the work done. Wonder how good a match the plastic tractors are to JD Green.

The package also contained a book of recipes for roadkill. These are friends from down south (still north to most folks) but maybe they do know something about life around here.

View my Photos
greenjeans

2002-03-26          36741

Jim,
As you have already read in the replies, paint matching is still a long ways from an exact science. My recomendation is to use the Ag. Green. I am not waisting band width to explain why.

To all those who hate buying a tractor that comes with scratches. Let your dealer know. Tractors should have zero scratches when arriving at a customer's home. I am a dealer and I preach this to the techs constantly.

Loaders and attachmenst are a different story. If the defect is in an area that is not in contact with debris Dirt, rock, etc.) during it's normal use, it should be repaired.

F.Y.I. Paint defects are a warrentable, if you see a scratch, let the salesman know. I personally inspect every tractor we sell. I am not perfect, nobody is, I miss them at times. We do what we can. I can not speak for other dealers. I have also been undersold by 50 bucks and had to do the warranty work on paint defects when the selling dealer was "too busy" and the customer couldn't wait.
Again..I cannot speak for other dealers. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login