Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bad River Tractor Tool Rack

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-21          164230

So Yooperpete, when is your tractor tool rack coming out?

Any pics?

I'm still looking for a good solution for tools on the trail.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-22          164250

Ken:

We're having the usual start-up problems. I have a limited inventory and am working on better packaging, safety and warning labels for my product liability insurance carrier and the website hasn't been updated yet.

We launched another inventory build and am fine tuning the rest of the stuff.

I tried adding some photos to my TP photo list and managed to wipe out all of them or rather they are beaming around in my computer somewhere!

The tool rack frame attaches to the rigid drawbar with a pinch plate and has some stabilizer bars toward the top. They are adjustable and angle downward to mount in the top link bulkhead by using a longer top link pin. Two vertical tubes, upgradable to four allow storage for long handled rakes, garden hoes, shovels, forks. A horizontal system can hold either a D handled shovel, ax or string trimmer.

The entire framework fits between the lift arms and its open center architecture allows a PTO shaft to fit through it. You can then use practically any implement in conjunction with it.

I haven't figured out how to attach a picture in a message, so I'll send you some info. Thanks for Asking!! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-22          164251

That sounds pretty useful. Would it be possible to mount a chainsaw and a gallon or two of fuel on it? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-07-22          164254

No, it currently isn't made to handle a saw & gas, however, if you look at my Bad River site, you will see that we show a cargo carrier inserted into a hitch adapter carrying a chain saw, gas, oil and shelled corn.

Are you planning to use the 3 point for other implements while carrying a saw? I have extra holes in the frame for adding some more stuff like a box. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-22          164255

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 164254
No, it currently isn't made to handle a saw & gas, however, if you look at my Bad River site, you will see that we show a cargo carrier inserted into a hitch adapter carrying a chain saw, gas, oil and shelled corn.Are you planning to use the 3 point for other implements while carrying a saw?I have extra holes in the frame for adding some more stuff like a box.

What I'd like to do is use the Bad River hitch I already have to tow around my big chipper and use a tool rack to carry a timber jack, chainsaw and 2-cycle mix. Now I put the chainsaw and fuel on the floorboard but it's not very convenient to have them rolling around. I sometimes put 'em in the bucket but I use that a lot for carrying firewood while I'm out cutting. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-22          164257

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 164255
What I'd like to do is use the Bad River hitch I already have to tow around my big chipper and use a tool rack to carry a timber jack, chainsaw and 2-cycle mix. Now I put the chainsaw and fuel on the floorboard but it's not very convenient to have them rolling around. I sometimes put 'em in the bucket but I use that a lot for carrying firewood while I'm out cutting.

I see Lumber Jack Ken coming across the hill.. :) ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-22          164263

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 164257
I see Lumber Jack Ken coming across the hill.. :)

Yeah, well, the perfect tool rack would support three chainsaws. The little and big one and the one on a pole. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-22          164264

Ken, you forgot the area to hold the pain medicine!

Your solution is simple...on your wife's tractor you mount the second rack and there you go. You now have all the saws and a supervisor or helper or both. You'll have to tell us which. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-23          164279

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 164264
Ken, you forgot the area to hold the pain medicine! Your solution is simple...on your wife's tractor you mount the second rack and there you go. You now have all the saws and a supervisor or helper or both. You'll have to tell us which.

The pain meds store nicely in the tiny "tool box" built into the left fender. That's about all that fits in there.

Maybe my wife would follow me around carrying all the equipment? I'm sure she could handle a cooler too. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-23          164282

Ken, we use a rack that has a narrow slit in it and clamps to the one of the arms of the FEL. The saw blade goes down into it like a holster and is secured there by a rubber bungee cord. It will hold up to 3 saws. On the other side is a rack almost exactly like what landscapers use to mount gas cans on the side of their trailers, it holds a gas can and bar oil.

It is something easily made up yourself.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-23          164285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 164282
Ken, we use a rack that has a narrow slit in it and clamps to the one of the arms of the FEL. The saw blade goes down into it like a holster and is secured there by a rubber bungee cord. It will hold up to 3 saws. On the other side is a rack almost exactly like what landscapers use to mount gas cans on the side of their trailers, it holds a gas can and bar oil.It is something easily made up yourself.Best of luck.

Murf, that's a good idea but it probably wouldn't work in my circumstance because of the close quarters around the trees. The loader arms often swipe trees and branches and it wouldn't be good to bang the saws into trees while driving through the woods. An arrangement that would keep the saws somewhere inside the four wheels would be best. Yoopers idea of having it above the 3ph area would be perfect if it could be made to work.

Once again I find myself wishing I could weld. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-23          164298

See you have pictures here like I do, none. :) So on your tractor you have a roll bar, and possibly canopy. How about mounting a mount across the back of the roll bar? You can do so with clamps and no welding or drilling of the roll bar. You could clamp on such as the socket part of gate hinge and have the pin part of the hinge on your mount to just sit in place when needed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-23          164302

Wow, I don't know what happened to my pictures. There were at least twenty before. There will be a whole bunch of broken picture links now.

I thought about the clamp-on-the-rollbar thing before and thought it wouldn't work for some reason, but can't exactly why. Maybe it was because it would interfere with the backhoe when that was attached.

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-24          164306

I was thinking about a mount design you could lift it in place to use when wanted and then off when not needed. That should not be hard to make and possibly could use like gate hinges for that. I use some for pivot point on sprayer booms and have worked good. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-24          164309

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 164285
Murf, that's a good idea but it probably wouldn't work in my circumstance because of the close quarters around the trees. The loader arms often swipe trees and branches and it wouldn't be good to bang the saws into trees while driving through the woods. An arrangement that would keep the saws somewhere inside the four wheels would be best.

Ken, do the same thing I was talking about but mount it on the inside of the FEL arms. It may restrict you from lowering them 100% when the saws are there, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

The other way you could possibly do it is to make up a rack that mounts to the locking pins for the fold-down ROPS. That way you could quickly put it on & off so it wouldn't interfere with your B/H operation.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-24          164315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 164309
Ken, do the same thing I was talking about but mount it on the inside of the FEL arms. It may restrict you from lowering them 100% when the saws are there, but that shouldn't be a big issue. The other way you could possibly do it is to make up a rack that mounts to the locking pins for the fold-down ROPS. That way you could quickly put it on & off so it wouldn't interfere with your B/H operation.Best of luck.

That might work, I'd have to do some fitment to see. I worry about the front tires hitting the saw bar as they turn. Or are you talking about the saw bar being parallel to the FEL arms?

Yoopers rack might be made to work if there were some sawbar holster type slots with rubber bungees to restrain the bars. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-24          164316

Ken, I doubt the saw bars could reach the tires unless you are running some mighty big saw bars, the FEL arms themselves have to be nearly a 18" from the top surface to the underside of the lift rams. Just from memory there's many inches of clearance between the lift rams and the tire beyond that.

Like I mentioned though, I still think given your concerns it might be a bunch easier (especially since you're not a welder) for you to make a plywood rack that uses a couple of hooks or eyes that the lock pin for your folding ROPS would go through, maybe with the bottom tied into the upper 3pth mount point.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-24          164329

Also try looking at the different kinds of racks make for landscaping trailers. But you should be able to take say a 2 x 8 and using some 2 inch lumber for spacer be able to bolt another say 2 x 8 on to make a simple but very strong mount to drop the saw blades through for them to ride very well. Now the pole saw would not fit unless it is one the shaft comes apart on. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-24          164333

There are some good ideas here. I think I'll wait until Yooper releases his new rack to see what it's like. If it doesn't do everything (does anything?) maybe it would be a good basis to build on. Murf's loader arm idea is worth further investigation too.

Although it would be most convenient to have the saws on the tractor they are most often used in conjunction with the chipper so I could hang a rack on one fender of the chipper or build something that sits on the tongue. The pole saw may fit lengthwise somewhere there too. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-07-28          164441

I should learn how to post photos here; meanwhile I'll describe my various holders. It's these holders that put the "U" in "CUT."

I mounted a horizontal strip (1" X 1/4" metal) to the side and within reach of the driver, into which I vertically insert long-handled tools. Under is a one-foot length of 1 X 2 channel, open side up, into which the ends of the handles rest. V-shaped tools like loppers hang on the strip.

I mounted two wall hangers (from a dollar store) on the side, one fore and one aft, onto which I can place long tools like a pole lopper or chainsaw.

Behind the seat I mounted metal stock (4" X 1/8") from the top back of one fender to the other, and installed on that a wood shelf, with sides to keep the contents from falling out. It holds a chainsaw even in its case, gas, or an electric that plugs into the inverter. (Must unbolt the shelf in the winter so I can see the snow blade.)

A toolbox for chains is on the grill-guard I made up. Fitting was precise, to clear the FEL and the hood tilting forward. Two more, for tools and stuff, are within driver reach, and a rim around the closed top allows stuff to be placed there. A fourth I made of wood to exactly fit the top rear of the hood (just in front of the driver). It stays put unless I lift it off to open the hood. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-28          164442

Bad River was nice enough to send me a packet of drawings and pictures of the utility rack. It looks like it would be nice for long handled tools.

I'll have to do some checking to see if it will work with my Top and Tilt setup. With TnT the right lift arm is replaced by a really fat hydraulic cylinder (probably 6" diameter). As it tilts the geometry of the 3ph changes and I'll have to see how far it moves to be sure it wouldn't contact the racks vertical support.

I looked further into Murf's suggestion of hanging the chainsaws off the lift arm. There's only a couple of inches of clearance where the chain bar would fit between the loader mount/dismount bracket and the hard lines on the inside of the loader arm. That seems a little too tight for comfort but a holster type box could probably be strapped tight to the top of the loader arm with a bungee holding the saw in place horizontally. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-07-28          164444

Ken:
A second tool rack offered pinches on the square tubing of the hitch receiver and that may get around your TnT situation. A wood box could be fabricated to hold you stuff and angle irons could be built to hold the box in place from some of the extra frame holes supplied in the tool rack.

The tool rack was designed more for your average homeowner for holding shovels, racks, brooms, etc.

If you laid all your saws and fuel cans out on the floor and compressed them like in storage you could measure this and give me an idea of the required footprint required for a box (i.e 16" x 36", etc.) and we could fab something up.

Do you put your saws in cases? I have a Homelite, so it must be stored in a molded case since the chain lub oil drips everywhere when setting). Once it has leaked a pint or quart of oil I pour it out when starting a brush fire. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-28          164457

Yooper, thanks for your thoughts. How long a piece of the square tubing does the pinch style require to pinch down on? I wouldn't want you to fab something, it would be easy to make a wooden one here.

I'll have to measure up the chainsaws but I don't have cases for them. They are put away on a piece of scrap carpet that gets thrown on the burn pile now and then but they really don't leak much unless I get sloppy with the oil filler.

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-04-07          189977

Hey yooper..... tried to find Bad River on google..... are you still in business? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-04-07          189978

I shut Bad River down. It was more of a hobby business that wasn't making any return on investment. Still have a couple of hitch adapters left. I felt the products were good but couldn't get a broad enough audience. In addition to the hitch adapter, the tool rack and rear ballast were good as well. Our initial patented product was a pickup rear bumper step. GM now has one formed within its bumper. Ford has a flip down step with hand rail. Atleast their engineers found me and liked the product. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2014-04-07          189980

I would be happy to take one of the hitch adapters off your hands. What is the best way? I can send a check. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-04-08          189991

I sent a private message thru TP giving my contact information. Thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login