Go Bottom Go Bottom

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-05          151934

A couple from Montana were out riding on the range, he with his rifle and she (fortunately) with her camera. Their dogs always followed them, but on this occasion a Mountain Lion decided that he wanted to stalk the dogs (you'll see the dogs in the background watching).

Very, very bad decision.

The hunter got off the mule with his rifle and decided to shoot in the air to scare away the lion, but before he could get off a shot the lion charged in and decided he wanted a piece of those dogs. With that, the mule took off and decided HE wanted a piece of that lion.

That's when all hell broke loose for the lion.

As the lion approached the dogs, the mule snatched him up by the tail and started whirling him around. Banging its head on the ground on every pass. Then he dropped it, stomped on it and held it to the ground by the throat. The mule then got down on his knees and bit the thing all over a couple of dozen times to make sure it was dead, then whipped it into the air again, walked back over to the couple (that were stunned in silence) and stood there ready to continue his ride as if nothing had just happened.

Fortunately, even though the hunter didn't get off a shot, his wife got off these four pictures.

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-05          151935

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic One bad donkey

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-05          151936

Picture Link

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-05          151937

Picture Link

One bad donkey

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-03-05          151940

Ken, that is quite something. Were these people that you know? ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-05          151941

No, the story and pics were emailed to me by my brother. I'm not sure where he got them. ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-05          151942

A donkey is what's known as an F1 hybrid.

That is not to say they are related to race cars. LOL

The term means "filial 1" or first generation result of breeding 2 different parental types together. A mule is the result of a male donkey bred to a female horse.

A donkey is very well known as a guardian animal, you only need one in amongst a herd of other (even larger) animals to stop most predators dead in their tracks, usually literally so.

This is a perfect example of such behaviour.

I have neighbours, a really sweet old Scottish couple, who keep a small herd of sheep and have a donkey named Jack (what else would you call him?) who's job it is to protect the sheep. In the middle of the field is a small man-made (by me) knoll that resulted from the left-over dirt from digging a small pond. Jack rounds the sheep up on top of the knoll at the slightest hint of a coyote or other predator. I can hear him braying when he detects something on still nights when the windows are open.

Several times a month during the summer they call me at first light to come and dispose of Jack's latest victim for them.

To put it politely, theres not many times the victim doesn't show overwhelming evidence of it's loss of the fight. ;)

Best of luck. ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-05          151945

Who needs a CCW? I'll just take a donkey with me everywhere!

One bad donkey

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-06          151957

Problem is though, when a gun goes off, it doesn't make your boots smell bad, the donkey, well that's a whole other story.

LOL

Of course, people will only look at you funny if they see you talking to donkey. Try talking to a gun and people come unhinged!! ;)

Best of luck. ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-06          151958

I like the idea of keeping a donkey with me when I go to the 'hood.

Kenny, what's yer schedule like? ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-06          151959

I suspect you're going to need more than that 'borrowed' twenty bucks to convince Kenneth to ride shotgun with you in that part of the world. ;) ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-06          151963

Murf, you are correct. Will take more than that for me to just be seen with some people.

I am not throwing off on anyone and those who are there and can find no way out of such an area I really feel sorrow for them. What happen to poor honest neighbor hoods? Sad. We are killing the positive attitude in this country of helping yourself and your family. kt ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-06          151970

Kenny, I know it's a darn shame ;(

So... anywho...$20 is not enough; so you do have a price then tehehe ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-06          151972

Yep, but has to be enough to pay for at least a mask for at least one it not both of us.

Years ago while I was on jury duty an older gentleman pleaded guilty to gun violation. He had two hand guns under his car seat. If they had been in glove comparment he would have been legal. When the judge asked him why I wish you could have heard his answer. In his local rural southern accent that I appreciate (and enjoy to this day, a very soft and polite tone) he told the judge he was going on a trip to New York City. It was obvious to us he planned on returning. EW, my plans would be to return home alive also. kt ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-06          151973

Kenneth, years back when I was still in the Corps and stationed in your neck of the woods, I had reason to be at the local court house to testify on behalf of a couple of friends who had gotten into a bit of an altercation at the local watering hole.

After a few punches were swung a local fellow decided he didn't like his odds and so drew a gun and fired off a few rounds into the ceiling.

Needless to say, the fight ended rather quickly, and all but a few people ran out the door, leaving no other witnesses when the police arrived.

He claimed he had been jumped by my friends and that was why he was the only one who had gotten punched and thus had bruises.

It didn't look good for them (they were charged with assault) until one of them made a comment about the local fellows big chrome gun. At that point the local jumped to his feet and said something to the effect of "Aha, you're lying! My gun isn't chrome, SEE!!!" and proceeded to wave his gun around in front of everyone in court.

My friends cases were quickly dismissed as the local fellow was hauled off in handcuffs, all the while loudly protesting what was happening.

LOL

Best of luck. ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-06          151974

Was that in the same town where they were handing out rifles if you opened a new bank account (true story)?

Kenny, I did notice that the same sort of "people" you have there are here too (must be related???). Oddly though, the type or degree of crime is much harsher here. I think though the people down thar can't move as fast we nor'teners--for whatever reason (we don't have as much liquid breakfast/lunch/dinner as you do down thar) ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-06          151981

Murf, I believe that. If you want funny, sit in a court room and listen. You quickly learn why the jury is moved in and out so much.

EW, you know, it could be we are designed for the weather. In hot climates things move slower, cold climates they must run for the heat! I understand when you were on the gulf you move right slow. Then when you moved back to Mich. you, well understand you still move slow... but I am just saying. thanks for the smile. WOrking on taxes, needed relief. kt ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-06          151983

I move right slow--

and I move left slow. If I only move right slow, I'd go in circles. Aghhht! Don't even go there! ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-06          151985

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 151983
I move right slow--and I move left slow. If I only move right slow, I'd go in circles. Aghhht! Don't even go there!

I believe the gentleman said before it is not quite circles he goes in. So you may be right. ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
bvance

2008-03-26          152463

Sorry to be a spoil sport here and ruin a great story but...

According to Snopes.com the story that often accompanies these pictures are not totally accurate. Please see the attached link for the "rest of the story". Cursor down through the various renditions to get to the real story.

Like all of us, I get a variety of stories and pictures via the net and I often verify it through Snopes. It is amazing how often Snopes will have the "real story".

I suppose Snopes could get it wrong as well, but through the years I have been using this site, I beleive it to be an accurate and diligent seeker of the truth.

Incidentally, having grown up on a working ranch in Southern Idaho, I have a good deal of experience with horses and mules. Mules are one tough, obstinate, hard headed, sure footed, stinking animal. One old mule I knew had to have a headstall made totally out of small steel chain. In order to get his attention, you had to jerk too hard and a leather headstall broke too easily. You could hear him coming on the trail long before you saw him because of the jingling chains. I have a lot of respect for a well-mannered mule, but there aren't many around because most folks can't handle them.

Bookmark Snopes and use when something doesn't sound just right. Warning though...you may tick off some good friends when you advise them of something they sent to a whole bunch of folks turns out to be a hoax. And Ken I didn't do this to "call you out", I just thought folks would be interested in the real story and maybe also let folks know how they can verify some of the stuff that we all get through the net.

Brian

Link:   Snopes.com

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-26          152464

You're not a spoil sport but the story was checked it out on Snopes before posting and the differences didn't seem to be significant enough to make an issue of ... and it was a good story as is :) The gist of the story is there and the pictures are real.

One bad donkey

View my Photos
bvance

2008-03-26          152465

It is a great story even if the lion was already dead as Snopes says and proves that Mules are one crazy animal!

If you get a chance, and go to Snopes, click on the link at the bottom of the article and under "Origins" click on the hyper word "article" for even a more complete story.

Brian ....

One bad donkey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-26          152466

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance | view 152465
It is a great story even if the lion was already dead as Snopes says and proves that Mules are one crazy animal!If you get a chance, and go to Snopes, click on the link at the bottom of the article and under "Origins" click on the hyper word "article" for even a more complete story.Brian

D'oh! I guess I didn't read far enough down :) Still, it makes for a good story. Thanks for the info. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login