Go Bottom Go Bottom

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-16          127757

It's Easter Sunday and here it's 30 degrees and snowing. Will winter never end? Happy Easter everyone!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-16          127760

Sounds like you got some weather that was addressed to Anchorage.

If it is still snowing on Memorial Day we will know for sure.

Happy Easter all. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-16          127762

Yeah, It's snowing here in NorCal too...when I went to bed last night it was just starting and there wasn't any snow on the ground....wake up this morning and the power is out (running on generator right now), and there is a foot and a half on the ground...still snowing with heavier stuff slated for tonite.....yikes....I guess I'm not making it into town today to have easter dinner with my step moms family....by winter next year I 'will' have a 4x4 with big ole all terrain radials on it...LOL...trying to get started on building my new house, but the winter this year refuses to go away....bad year for this from my POV...

PS...Happy Easter to you too! ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-16          127763

We lost power too and are now on generator. Nowhere near a foot of snow fell here, more like a half inch. But the day is young! ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-16          127766

It's 40 degrees out, so hopefully when the snow finally stops in the manana, it will melt off quickly...Only have about ten gallons of gas, so I need to get the quad out and try to plow enough of this stuff off to sneak into town to get more....otherwise I'll be rationing myself power...LOL ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-16          127768

On my side of the hill it is 44 and raining. Might have to get the wood stove going later........ ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-16          127771

I thought we used the fireplace for the last time this season about a month ago but we just started it up again. Good thing there's plenty of wood. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-17          127832

argggghhh...power is still out....down to about 7 gallons of gas left....tried to plow out access to the public road yesterday with my quad, but the 1 and 1/2 feet of snow was too wet and I kept getting stuck...took about four hours to just plow out my property and the easement to the private road out front...a neighbor used his jeep to plow it out the rest of the way last night, but woke up this morning and there's another six inches of snow on the ground....hopefully my quad will be able to handle that okay even though it's very wet and heavy snow....cuz I gotta go get some more gas today somehow...some way...the power might be out for a while as evidently 'a lot' of trees came down on the lines along the highway and a pretty large bit of people are without power...

...and they're saying we can expect more severe winters like this for at least the next ten years, as many as thirty...fun stuff....I guess I'll be spending some time and money this summer preparing for this reality.... ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-17          127834

Sounds like Murphy's Law at work here, you guys south of here are getting a kicking, it was in the low 60's and sunny up north here in Cannuckistan.

Got in 2.7 hours stick time and watched the ice break up on the lake in front of my cottage from the air for the first time ever!! Way cool to see.

Lots of deer and turkey too.

Best of luck. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-17          127856

Had to turn the AC on today. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-17          127868

;*P ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-17          127884

DeTwang, we're luckier than you I guess. Had 800 gallons of LP for the generator and the power was only off for five hours. We went from snow and 30 degrees in the early morning to pouring rain at noon to blue skies and fifties in the afternoon. Interesting weather for sure. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
Peters

2006-04-17          127885

We hit 85 the last couple of days. The kids has been in the pool since before the 1st of the month. I am begining to wonder how hot it will be this summer.

The family on the Island were complaining about the snow. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kskwash

2006-04-17          127887

92 today and expecting 95 tomarrow. It is going to be a brutal July and August down here this year. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kskwash

2006-04-17          127888

92 today and expecting 95 tomarrow. It is going to be a brutal July and August down here this year. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kskwash

2006-04-17          127889

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-17          127890

Power just came back on....(out for 41 hours).....of course this after spending 4 hours clearing the slush form my driveways, easment and 1/8 mile of dirt road...shoveling out my van, and filling up seven 5 Gal cans of gas (for $105)...used up about 5 gallons of it, and the power came back on...well, I guess I have gas for the quad for the next few months....LOL...It got up to about 60 degrees today, the storm is gone and the wheather pattern with it...looking at some good wheather for a while (light rain possibility on friday)...snow is melting fast into a nice mess....beautiful sunset happening (yes the skies are clear)...

hooray! drinkng a draught fosters and barbequein' up a steak in celebration... ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-17          127891

you can expect that heat monkey to climb all over our backs in July, August, Sept. and October. We play golf in the winter I cant stand it in Aug. By August all the tomatos are burned, beans wont produce even if you plant them. The last 6 months have been great. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-17          127893

kwschumm,
How big is your house, what all do you run off of the propane, how many in your house, how long does that 800 G last, and what is the cost per gallon to fill it? Sorry about all he questions...I'm about to break ground on my house, and wondering about propane requirements/costs....

I plan to put in a battery backup system, with an automatic charger/inverter/transfer switch that will monitor the batteries and start the generator to recharge the batteries if they get too low during a power failure...the thing is a solar cell controller too so that I can add panels later if I want...it will excersize the generator periodically too to keep it fresh...will be converting mine to propane or buying a new one for propane use depending on the economics of the choice....power outages are a regular thing here, so I might as well get prepared for it..... ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-04-17          127896

DeTwang, glad your power came back. Warmer weather is coming, they're saying we'll see 70 in the next few days.

Our house is 3600 sf. We use LP for hot water, BBQ (which we use almost daily), generator, cooktop and dryer. Soon we will retrofit radiant floor heat on the main floor. Mostly we have the big 1000 gal tank for the generator because we lose power several times a month. How long it lasts depends on how many outages occur. The best was about 10 months, the worst about six. LP was 85 cents/gallon from Ferretgas when we moved in six years ago. Last time they quoted us $2.70/gal so we switched suppliers and got it for $1.70. LP has doubled in price over the last six years but electric has only increased 40%. Right now LP is no bargain. When we install radiant heat I'm thinking about plumbing in an electric water heater and switching back and forth based on what's cheapest to run.

I've been slowly building a "smart" generator control panel. It will duty cycle the generator to keep the security panel batteries charged during long outages and keep the refrigerator cold. The panel will have telephone and web interfaces so we can check on it remotely. Over Christmas a few years ago the power was out for a week while we were gone and the security panel batteries are only good for a day. The security company called us and all we could do was worry. Had a neighbor check on the house daily but I'd rather not have bothered them. ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
DeTwang

2006-04-18          127929

regarding dual systems...I'm planning on installing a propane fired tankless water heater (bosch or rinnai), but since I plan on installing the direct vent monitor kerosene heater I now use in the mobile home as a backup/auxillary to the propane fired forced air heater I will be installing, I was thinking I might invest in a kerosene tankless system as well, that could be switched to if propane go too expensive or I ran out...kerosene ain't cheap but it apears to be really efficient, and as I'll already have the kerosen tank and plumbing, it shouldn't cost a whole lot to add the second water heater...

I imagine that as energy costs get more and more expensive, I'll be finding that adding solar panels to take advantage of that controller will become 'real' attractive over time.... ....

Happy Easter

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-04-18          127943

Happy late Easter everyone. I spent the holiday in balmy Milwaukee. Balmy by April standards. I was in shorts until it turned colder on Sunday. HEck, we even came close to turning the AC on. It was 85+ degrees in Iowa when we left. So if it's this hot now, what's August going to be like?

Also, nothing like making the drive east with the severe storms on your butt. Then listening to the news on the car radio and hearing the storms that are right behind you dropped tornadoes in Iowa City. I made it to my folks place about 15 minutes before they hit. Whew! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login