Go Bottom Go Bottom

Audi Diesel wins 12 hours of Sebring

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-21          126435

Found this article. I knew Audi was running the diesel powered race cars, but hadn't checked to see how they did. Looks like Americans got their butts handed to them by a european diesel. No big deal, the Europeans know diesel is the way to go. Plenty of us on this board know the same thing based on our tractors and trucks!

Link:   Audi Diesel Wins Sebring - BusinessWeek article

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-21          126442

Now if one of the auto companies would make me a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel and reasonable fuel mileage I would buy it. It's still a bit hard for me to justify a 3/4 ton truck right now.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-21          126443

Just shoe horn that Audi engine into a Touageq and lets go for a spin. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-21          126446

Dave, recently posted about just that, Ford will be offering a new small diesel, not the PSD, in the sales-leading F-150 line in the VERY near future.

I know I've given more than one 'sports car' owner cause to rethink their purchase with my crewcab dually PSD. Tall gears in theback and a 6 spd. TX can make for a real shock to some people on the highway.

When they get passed by a pickup at 90 mph, it gets their attention, when the trailer passes them too you get some pretty shocked looks. LOL.

The guys at the trailer shop said I was the first person they had ever had come in for a high speed balance on 16" 10 ply trailer tires !!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-21          126451

Murf, Yes, I remember you mentioning that about a month or so ago. Any idea when they plan on coming out with it? (2007 maybe?) My present F150 has 220K on it and while it's been everything I could have asked for, all things have to wear out sooner or later.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-21          126454

Dave, Ford would like to do it as early as the 2007 model year, however they have some issues to overcome before they can.

The most likely (only at the moment) candidate would be the 2.7 V6 diesel they make at the Dagenham diesel plant in the UK for their Rover line. Problem is they're so popular that the plant is barely keeping up with current Rover sales and they haven't even brought it to North America yet.

The Ford engineers are though, working on a new, small V8 diesel, a 3.63 CGI (Compact Graphite Iron) turbo diesel. Ford's initial slip about it put performance at 275hp and 450+ ft./lbs. of torque. Lately the rumour has been that it will be 300+hp, and 500+ ft./lbs. of torque!! That will be a little on the high end for an F-150, but sounds like a good replacement for the Navistar PSD.

The rumour mill has it though, the big hold-up so far is the EPA, they are poised to bring in new CO2 and NOX limits but have kept very tight lipped about what they will be. This has people like Ford in a tight spot, do they start producing something that will be disallowed in 1 or 2 model years, or wait to see what the standards are before committing?

If I had to take an edjamikated guess-tamashun, I would say there will be a V6 TD in the 2008 F-150's....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-03-21          126467

It would be nice if they came out with a smaller diesel like Murf mentions. If they can move that into the F-150 based lineup, they could sell more SUVs as they'd be fuel efficient. I'd love to trade in the wife's Expedition for one with a fuel efficient diesel. Subaru's are just too small for our long trips and minivans struggle through snow drifts over 12" high. I got real tired of pushing her Mustang up the driveway in winter.

The F250 7.3L turbo diesel has surpised many a person who thought they had a hot ride. Had one punk pass me in the country think he'd show the old guy in the pickup. Then his little foreign car's mirror got filled with the grill of the F250 at 80 mph. He humbled himself quickly when he couldn't pull away. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-21          126471

What I have heard is ford will be getting rid of the PSD and taking of the the 5.9 cummins as Dodge is going to go with a Daimler engine. Truth to that ??? ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-21          126472

I think most Dodge owner buy the diesel BECAUSE of the Cummins engine. Maybe they are looking at a 1/2 ton to put the Daimler into. That would make sense especially if Ford is planning one. With the diesel experience Daimler and Isuzu have, there is no excuse for Dodge or Chevy/GMC to not have a smaller diesel pickup.
David ....

View my Photos
dsg

2006-03-21          126476

My next truck hopefully will be a Ford ton dually dump in 2008, I'd love to have a Cummings in it.

David ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-03-21          126479

Oneace - Daimler-Chrysler has a log term relationship with Cummins, something like 2012 as of now. You can get a Cummins in a Ford, but you have to move up to the F450 or 550 (?). [and for the record - Ford does not own Cummins, but D-C does own DetroitDiesel]

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-03-21          126482

I'd like to have that Volkswagen 10 cylinder turbo-diesel. 313hp and 560 ft/lbs out of 5 liters. Only seems logical that it should get better fuel ecomony that this ~6 liter bunch we've got to choose from now.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-21          126487

Toyota makes great diesels; they just aren't available in the US. We had a 4.5 liter (in-line 6) turbo diesel Landcruiser in Australia that definitely had it over the (new) V-8 that Toyota had. See my Picture number 3. Toyota also had a 4 cyl version that they ran in the Tacoma line as well; there were others as well (take a look at www.toyota.com.au for thier lineup and what's available). I could only hope that Toyota introduces the diesels into the US lineup in the near future as I will be one of the first to buy another one. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-21          126493

It is the F650 and 750 medium duty that you can get with he cummins now. The F250 to 550 are considered light duty. The problem that dodge is seeing is that next year diesel emission regs. are going to cause most trucks to go up by about $5k to $20k depending on the size of the truck, light to heavy. Daimler is already there. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-03-21          126496

Below is an article on the new Dodge chassis cab with a new larger Cummins and 6-speed auto-box. There will be a 450-650 sized truck from Dodge again. This article also touches on the new epa (BS) regs and how Cummins has complied already.

There has been no mention on huge price increases due to the low NoX (BS) that the epa has come up with. More tech and junk on the motors (I'll keep my '94, thank you. lol), but they will comply. ....

Link:   Done

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126507

Ace, Ford will be getting rid of the Navistar PSD, but not in favour of a Cummins.

As was mentioned, Cummins has a long term deal with D-C which means they can't sell that engine into another pickup, for now. Cummins wants into the European market, and D-C wants into the NA truck market, so their both going to do everything they can to keep each other happy.

Besides, by all accounts, the new CGI technology is going to be the way of the future for small diesels. It is going to do for diesels what aluminum blocks did for gas engines.

The other point is that Ford would prefer to build any new motor themselves, one of their (Ford's) big bones of contention with the Navistar was having to go back to Navistar to get changes made. Ford only had discretion over 'bolt ons' like fuel, cooling, turbo's etc. Their Dagenham diesel plant in the UK has a stellar history of building top drawer products, and has since prior to WWI, I doubt they would look outside of the Ford family now for a motor, especially since they are spending a lot time & effort to bring the CGI technology to their Cleveland Motor Plant. This can only mean that these wonderful engines are soon on their way to our driveways.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-22          126514

What is CGI Technology? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126520

CGI = Compact Graphite Iron

It's a new way of casting, described by Ford as;

"Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI), CGI offers outstanding strength and durability, meaning that less material is needed in the construction of the engine. The benefits can be seen in the reduced engine weight, engine length and higher structural capabilities. A lighter engine contributes significantly to the power-to-weight ratio, which in turn has a positive effect on fuel economy."

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-03-22          126526

Hmmm... lighter diesel engine, yet the heft of the 7.3L over the front axle in winter is a nice thing. But I wouldn't mind less weight. Less weight means more power for acceleration and better fuel mileage.

I almost had a new exhaust system for the pickup past the wife. But then the payback vs mileage didn't compute and it got killed. Sigh... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126527

Try my line....

"Honey, I'm feeling kinda down, I think I need either a [insert purchase of choice] or a Mistress to pick me up a little, which do think I should go for?"

Given the choice, the money is easier for them to part with, ROFLMAO.

BTW, the lump from the frying pan is usually gone in a few days, the stainless exhaust will last for years. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-22          126529

It sure is hard to beat experience, even with a frying pan. (ROFLOL) You just have to appreciate Murf's wisdom, it is too special.

Ken, it might be a better (well safer)idea to make a gift to your wife of the exhaust system.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126532

Kenneth, I don't know that wisdom is exactly the right term to apply to that, but it's the old story, you already got a 'no', it can't get any worse, you may as well try it.

It's not always best to be brave either, after all it's the SECOND mouse that gets the cheese from the trap. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-22          126533

Murf, hard to beat experience any way you slice it. Need to remember that second mouse part. Good advice.

Ken, if your results are not as you desire, let us know where to send flowers.

I have tried for 2 years the following reason for tractor with cab, if I had tractor with cab our grandson could ride regardless of the weather and also be safer. Was told he needed to know patience also.

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-22          126539

Kenneth, as any sailor knows, when you're not getting anywhere fast, just try a different tack....

"But Honey, I NEED a big fishing boat so I can take out grandson out to spend some 'quality time' with him!"

Then when she complains of the cost of the aforementioned fishing boat, just casually mention how much LESS the tractor cab would be.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-22          126546

If is funny how CGI is new technology (to Ford). 10 years ago right out of high school I worked at a foundry and remember CGI very well cause when you add the chemicals it reminds you allot like a volcano erupting. We were pouring gear boxes and TX cases. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-22          126549

Murf,
Like I said, wisdom!

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-23          126570

Ace, it's not at all that CGI is new to anyone, it has been around for quite sometime indeed.

The problem was always logistics. Because CGI is such a dense hard material the only way to machine it is VERY low cutting speeds, other wise the tools don't hold up. This is not a viable situtation for mass production.

It wasn't until very recently that they have found away around this bottleneck in production.

Up until they solved this problem they were only able to cut at surface speeds (the rate at which the CGI met the tool) of about 150 m./min. (about 488 ft./min.) they can now do it at 1,000 m./min. (about 3,250 ft./min.) an increase of 566% !!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-03-24          126620

The new exhaust system didn't fly but I got other stuff though. Wife got a new dryer (drying cabinet, great for all of those woman sweaters so they aren't laying all over the house).

I got a new computer under the premise of using it to burn DVD's of the kid for the grandparents. Also got a digital camcorder out of that deal.

AND on Wednesday, I ordered the Rodenator to kill off the gophers. I've ranted on here for several years about Satan's minions (known as gophers). So I'm pulling out the big artillery. Enough is enough. Propane, oxygen and a spark should kill them off. Wife went along with it and surprised me with how quick she agreed. Course, as she put it, "I can sit here and listen to you bitch for another year about the gophers or I can say ok. One condition: I get to video tape you using it." Simple enough terms. I agreed.

If I tried Murf's line, ooh, I shudder to think what would happen. I don't know if my medical insurance would cover the damage. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login